Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Beware of Credit Card Skimming. Pumps and ATM's

On our local news tonight, 11/26/13, local authorities caught two men from out of state who had a lot of equipment inside their vehicle which collects data from your credit card.

It hooks right up to a strip reader and intercepts your information. Secret Service agents now taken over case.

Best practice is to go inside of bank for ATM if available.

Paying for fuel, go inside.

They found two such devices someone rigged up at the Pilot Truck Stop just west of Omaha on I-80.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #2

You're kidding. Right?

Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
You're kidding. Right?
Wayne, for the above reasons I never use an ATM that is inside a bar or outside anywhere. The crooks can attach easily purchased readers on these ATMs that read and store your information as you pay for your purchase. In Victoria BC they caught a couple of people with about a dozen of these units that they would install in stores as they made a purchase. The police officer being interviewed about this case was quoted saying the could switch out the stores unit for one of their units in under 30 seconds. After a couple of weeks they would come back to the store, switch out the stores original unit with the one they placed and return the way they came.

ATM skimming scams on the rise | KPLU News for Seattle and the Northwest
Old 11-27-2013, 12:45 AM   #4

My first reaction was kind of like " Oh no not again. Of course the crime you described above is rampant and just adds to the amount of skimming that is going on. We cannot be safe in any transaction we do, even if the ATM is located just inside the bank door in a sheltered section of lobby. It has happened there too. Sure wish I had the answer to this. I.D. theft leaves nothing to the imagination of what they are doing here. Even your I.D.marks are left on your doctors computer and subject to theft. No one is safe. All we can do is fight it the best way we can.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:27 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I take my card inside, this does not stop them. Apparently the clerk coped the numbers down and bought a bunch of wal-mart gift cards on me. Taking it into the store is no more safe. If thives want the card they will get them. Just make sure you never use anything you enter your ATM pin number in, always use credit. Banks will reverse fraudulent charges, many will not reverse pin based debit charges though.
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Big Business for Thieves

Skimming is big business for thieves | Local News - KETV Home

This is a link for the news article that was on TV last night. There might be a 15 second ad prior to the news story. But click on KETV link and you will see the story.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #7

Added to this scam, a story on the news about new credit cards is also scary. The new cards have some kind of chip which transmits the info to the reader. It doesn't have to be swiped through the slot, just passed near it. A security expert showed how to steal the info on your card without having to touch you. He had a gadget which could read the transmission while it was in your wallet or purse from about 2 feet away. Naturally the credit card companies say it is very safe. I for one will check any new cards received and decline them if they have this chip.

Maybe the days of "cash only" wasn't too bad. When you got hit over the head, you knew somebody took your money.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
Added to this scam, a story on the news about new credit cards is also scary. The new cards have some kind of chip which transmits the info to the reader. It doesn't have to be swiped through the slot, just passed near it. A security expert showed how to steal the info on your card without having to touch you. He had a gadget which could read the transmission while it was in your wallet or purse from about 2 feet away. Naturally the credit card companies say it is very safe. I for one will check any new cards received and decline them if they have this chip.

Maybe the days of "cash only" wasn't too bad. When you got hit over the head, you knew somebody took your money.
I was told to line my wallet with aluminum-foil, with my CC's and passport card inside the foil. It supposedly blocks the RF signal from the imbedded chip. My passport card came in an aluminum sleeve already.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Chipped cards don't broadcast information; they respond to radiation directed at them. In Canada and much of Europe almost all cards are "chipped"; it's my understanding that they are much harder to fraudulently duplicate. Do as you wish; I wish I had more chipped cards.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #10

This is bigger city stuff that is mostly just the nightly news "hook". It was in sound bites in the 1/2 before the news show, right? Maybe ratings season?

Scare stuff makes good news! If you have a good credit union, it does not matter.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Dave,

A while back (6 mons to a year) the Victoria BC police nabbed a group of four people from a one time eastern block country (Lithuania maybe) with thousands of credit and ATM cards they had manufactured and were selling. They got the card information from the little ATM card readers they put over the slot in the bank and store ATM terminals.

They were caught with card readers, card printers and all the paraphernalia needed to emboss, create and imprint these cards. It's not a pretend problem anymore in the slightest.

Dennis
Old 11-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
This is bigger city stuff that is mostly just the nightly news "hook". It was in sound bites in the 1/2 before the news show, right? Maybe ratings season? Scare stuff makes good news! If you have a good credit union, it does not matter.
This isn't confined to big or bigger cities at all. These crooks can be found anywhere at anytime. We check charges on our cards often. That way we can know if we've been hit. We move a lot, so that's vital.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #13

A buddy of mine was just skimmed going across the Canadian border. He only had a credit card so I guess he used a unmanned terminal with just a CC machine. A few days later he had a call stating unusual activity. Im not sure how he deducted it was from that terminal though.

This is why I always use a CC that protects me from fraud and pretty much never use my bank card.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Typically a crook will have a POS terminal in place for a few days before heading back to collect it. It works like any other terminal except it records your password and banking info....That info is then sold and a couple weeks later the buyer will attempt transactions ... usually from another country.....mine was attempted in Spain...Never been to Spain......It starts with a couple of small transactions before a larger "buy" is made.....The best defence is a chipped card and to be very aware....although who pays attention to the POS terminals at business'.