Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Beware of Nyquil

My DW and I have been in the grip of a heavy chest cold since Christmas. We got our flu shots last October while in West Virginia and since we haven't had any fever we have decided that this isn't the H1N1 or what ever, so we are just doctoring ourselves with Muscinex and Nyquil. Last night I took a big dose of the cherry flavored stuff and climbed in bed for hopefully a good nights sleep. This cold attacks at various times by starting with a small tickle in the throat and then you end up in coughing fits that last for 20 to 30 seconds and then you drift off back to lala land. Nyquil is marvelous stuff as whatever it has for ingredience puts you into a kind of stupor and sometimes you really don't even know what you are doing. Last night, as in other nights, I also took a large glass of ice water to set by the bed on the cabinet next to me. If I feel that dreaded tickle I reach over and take a drink, sometimes warding off the coughing. Well, about 2 in the morning, I woke and felt that dang tickle coming on so, in my Nyquil drugged state, I groped for that glass of water and managed to dump most of the glassful onto the counter top. Now on that counter top was also my alarm clock/radio and a charging station for our cordless vaccuum. I quickly grabbed the clock radio and managed to turn it on at the same time. Now I was holding the radio, blaring some distant station, with water running out of it. I fumbled around next to the base of the bed trying to reach the plug for the radio and finally found it. At the same time I grabbed the charger station, again covered in water and pulled it's plug. Then it hit me-electricity and water don't mix (I guess I had my Nyquil angel protecting me). Now I stumbled over to the linen cabinet (somehow my legs were'nt completely working) and grabbed a bath towel and soaked up the mess on the counter top. I threw the wet towel out onto the tile in the hall and said "Shoot" or something to that effect and sat back down on the bed. That's when that old tickle started again so I reached back for the glass that still held a swallow, lifted it up to take a drink, missed my mouth and poured it down my chest. My drugged DW never stirred.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Gotta watch that Nyquil Dan... I'm betting your DW is sorry she missed that show.

Hope you both feel better soon.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Luckily we can chalk this up as a funny story instead of a tragedy. Hope you are feeling well soon!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Dan

Boy Lynda was some help

Just don't drive while in this semi coma.

Rehearse this dance before you take the drug and hopefully you won't need Lynda's help, it doesn't look like you can count on her.

Dick
Old 01-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Read the ingredients. Your getting more alcohol than drinking a cheap bottle of wine. Personally I prefer the wine.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Read the ingredients. Your getting more alcohol than drinking a cheap bottle of wine. Personally I prefer the wine.
Yes! Bring on the Jim Beam only in slightly larger doses!

We can empathize. Both my wife and I have been down with the same thing for the past week. No fun.

Hope we all get better soon.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok, Go to the ABC STORE and get yourself a pint of ''Old Mister Boston, rock and rye''. Stop at the drug store and get yourself two boxes of ''Rock Candy''. Go home and remove about one fifth of the pint of Old Mr Boston and save it for later. Take the two boxes of rock candy and pour it into the bottle of O.M.B. rock and rye and shake till it dissolves.
Now when you have a 'tickle' in your throat take a tea spoon of your ''Home Brew'' and put it into your mouth and hold your head back and let this run down your throat. Let it run as far as it will before you ''swallow it''....... You will feel a soothing sensation in your throat and your 'tickle' will go away. Repeat as necessary and throw the Nyquill in the dumper. Keep this home brew in your med. cabinet and when you feel a cold coming on repeat dosage BUT DONT DRIVE...... I have been using this for many years since I was a small child. It was given to me by my Mom and it works ........
If you use this it will cost you ten cents and you must pay me the next time you see me. ONE MORE TIME..... DO NOT DRIVE WHILE YOU ARE TAKING HOME BREW.
God bless our troops.....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you ever noticed how much the cup on top of the Nyquil bottle resembles a shot glass? For good reason. Check the label.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
box wine- the best medicine
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
OH MY GOODNESS !
Happy to hear that you were not injured; that was a close call. Some OTC medication can knock you for a loop, they do me, so I try to be very careful with them seeing as I take a lot of Rx medications I could be risking my health. I sure hope your cold or what ever it is has run its course and you and your wife are doing fine now.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The few times I have used Nyquill I'll have only used a half douse. The first time I had used the product being a 150 lb. male I thought I was entering a coma..... I don't know why, but I rarely get sick. I'll get a minor cold here and there, but I can't remember the last time I got the flu.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
This post should be moved to the "Guess what I did..." thread.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vegasdan...Boy, are you lucky. You and your wife must not get sick very often. It usually takes TWO bottles of Nyquil to get me that 'skewed'! Hope you guys are feeling better. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all for the good wishes. Last night we both had our first good nights sleep in a week so this stuff is waning.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote