Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bird feeder question

I was thinking about taking a small bird feeder on the "Great Adventure". In all my years of camping, I have never seen a bird feeder in a CG.I certainly would not want to offend other camper or break any rules.
Do you have any advice?, Darrin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get a humming bird feeder. They don't come in great masses and poop on every thing. Really the only birds that tend to cause problems like that are pigeons. you see them show up for dinner, roll up the chuck wagon.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #3

During our summer journeys we tend to stay in campgrounds with longer stay residents - mostly living in rvs while working construction or other job. A lot of these folks put out bird feeders and hummingbird feeders. They do make a mess where birds poop and drop seeds but normally not a big deal. The only problem we see are that they attract squirrels, sometimes raccoons and, we were told, bears (never seen that). Some birds, especially Cardinals, like to sit on cars and other vehicles and peck the rubber window seals.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #4

DW usually brings some wild bird feed and puts it on the ground where she can watch the birds when we are sitting outside.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #5

We sometimes put a few sunflower seeds on the picnic table or the ground
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There can be unintended surprises:

We are destination travelers so we sit for quite a while with friends---we used to put bird feeders out and enjoy the birds (the trees were over grass and not a clean up problem)----but we wound up getting a Springer Spaniel puppy. In succeeding years the sight of so many birds to our now grown bird dog drove him crazy--so we stopped---as did our friends.

One couple in our group has a short hair pointer-----he pointed at the model airplanes being flown outside the park area. Drove him nuts when for about an hour every day a model plane would buzz back and forth right outside the fence.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have bird feeders all over our property as do the neighbours either side of us. They do have a small drawback in that once the birds start feeding at a feeder for any length of time they tend to congregate around it and lose knowledge of their natural sources of food. So if you want to put up feeders you should be prepared to do so for the whole of the winter.

I would say that our cluster of feeders have upwards of a hundred birds per feeder. BTW what I wrote isn't gospel in any way just what I was told by a friend who is a naturalist.

My wife and I enjoy watching the birds' antics so we don't mind the $30 or so a month we spend on food.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #8

I hope my D/W doesn't see this thread, she'll want a bird feeder to go along with all the other junk she takes.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I have one of the hummingbird feeders that have the suction cups that attach to an outside window. Fun to watch. Use 1/4 cp sugar to 1 cp of water to make their sugar water, make sure the sugar dissolves. No need to add coloring to the water. They usually find the feeder within a day.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have on hanging from my driver's side rear view mirror.

I call it the 'Feline Entertainment System" Seems not to be working well where I'm at now but where I usually am they flock to it,, Several others have them too.

(The main slide out on my rig is on the driver's side, with it out the cat lies atop the couch, looks out the window, and watches the birds feed, hence the FES name)
Old 12-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #11

My sisterin law used to feed the birds.One day she realized birds were eating the seed on the ground and local cats were eating the birds.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post
I have one of the hummingbird feeders that have the suction cups that attach to an outside window. Fun to watch. Use 1/4 cp sugar to 1 cp of water to make their sugar water, make sure the sugar dissolves. No need to add coloring to the water. They usually find the feeder within a day.
I do the same although I hang mine from the awning or in a near by tree. Great fun to watch & photograph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUE_4660.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	15991  
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post
Ditto Rick and Ann,
we have two
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	15992  
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #14

Where we winter in Tucson, only hummingbird feeders are allowed. Seems that the spillage from a bird feeder may draw rodents and javelinas. Just another park rule that seems to work.