Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Black & Decker, Bostitch, and Porter-Cable Drill Recall

https://fox17.com/news/local/black-d...-injury-hazard

Quote:
Black & Decker is recalling 641,000 drills and drivers due to injury hazard.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports the recall includes Black & Decker, Bostitch, and Porter-Cable brand hammer drills and drill drivers.
The side handle sold with the drill can slip or break, leading to loss of control of the drill and potential injury.
There have been 11 reports of the handles slipping or breaking and one report of a person injuring their rotator cuff.
The drills were sold at The Home Depot, Lowe's, hardware stores nationwide, and online on Amazon. The drills were sold from January 2010 through July 2018 for $50-$100.
Anyone with the affected products
Porter-Cable ½ Inch VSR 2-Speed Hammer Drill Model: PC70THD;
Black & Decker ½ Inch Drill/Driver
Model: DR560; Bostitch ½ Inch Hammer Drill Model: BTE140 and BTE141
is asked to call Black & Decker at 888-284-3070 during business hours or email recall@sbdinc.com.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #2

Thank God for Makita!
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Thank God for Makita!
Porter-Cable too!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #4

Dewalt for the win. [emoji4]
Old 11-15-2018, 04:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Thank God for Makita!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Porter-Cable too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Do any of these brands give you a lifetime warranty on the tool and any batteries that came with cordless ones?

Hard to beat Ridgid in that aspect.
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #6

I do not buy my electrical tools from a big box store such as Home Depot, Lows, and Amazon. Why? They are built to different standards than what are sold at a specialty tool store such as Berland's House of Tools. The tools sold at these big box stores are built with lower cost components than a professional tool is built with.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #7

I learned from Dad, to buy quality... once. Interesting was when, during a major kitchen remodel, the workers always picked up my Milwaukee versus the makita's they brought.

With Milwaukee's rebirth, I'm concerned that, as with so many once outstanding American made quality products, the new firm will sell the name as long as the shine remains in the public's eye.

My classic Milwaukee and Porter Cable tools will outlive me with continued superb result.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #8

Wow 11 incidents, and 1 documented injury out of 641,000 drills sold is enough to get a recall.

Yesterday I was at a local historical exhibit that included some information on the Louisiana military maneuvers of 1941 where between 400,000 -500,000 troops fought a simulated war in western Louisiana in a strip of land about 45 miles wide from the coast to a point about 250 miles inland. The pre-maneuver estimate called for 4,000 troops to be hospitalized and 148 to be killed in this mock war. When it was over the powers that be were happily surprised that only 17 soldiers were killed on these maneuvers.

Oh how times have changed....
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Best of my knowledge, Dewalt and Craftsman are the only ones made in the U.S.A. now. My old Porter-Cable drill was made in TN.-off shore now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Best of my knowledge, Dewalt and Craftsman are the only ones made in the U.S.A. now. My old Porter-Cable drill was made in TN.-off shore now.
DeWalt does assemble some tools in the us but they are globally manufactured parts. So assuming anyone overseas would assemble to tool correctly, you have the same quality of tool as if it was built overseas. Just a marketing gimmick....BUT...is supporting some US jobs so that's a positive.

Craftsman is now owned by black and Decker and everything is from overseas.
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, recall