Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2015, 07:05 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have hit black ice a few times,, Managed to get away with no dents, scratches or bruises, though I did have to hose out the radiator once (I flattened a snow bank, if you gotta hit something, snow banks are usually a very good choice, epically i you know what's in them and it's nothing but snow.

It can be scary, very scary.

And beware of one thing in this thread, that is the words "UP NORTH"

North.. as in Texas,, Yup, Texas gets black ice too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
And beware of one thing in this thread, that is the words "UP NORTH"

North.. as in Texas,, Yup, Texas gets black ice too.
Black ice can occur just about anywhere this time of year.

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Did ya'll see the Estes double bottom jump the center guard rail on the NJ Turnpike. Can U imagine how he felt going over that steel rail and how about how he held it together. He is a great operator.

Lot of people killed around here. Drive Safe and slow as there is more to come.
Ladagobago, I saw the video and knew just what you were talking about! That had to be a hell-of-a-ride! I do not think I could have sat there taking that video, though!! I am a retired Trucker, O/O, "owner operator" that has been in those situations many times! The best thing to do is get off the road as soon as possible! As a O/O, I had the choice to do just that too! I owned my truck and trailer, and it was my choice to park when I saw fit! But many company drivers do not have that choice, and have to keep going! All the company's see is the bottom line, till the repair bill and the new truck bill comes in! Then the driver is to blame, and usually is looking for another job!
Rail!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Although, for a different company, I drove the same rig. I doubt that his driving skills came into play during and after he jumped that rail. I suspect that all he did was go along for the ride, then shake out his drawers! His driving skills would have been used to keep it from happening in the first place. My best comment is that the only thing on the road that would be worse than driving a set of wiggle wagons on black ice would be driving a set of triples!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
Although, for a different company, I drove the same rig. I doubt that his driving skills came into play during and after he jumped that rail. I suspect that all he did was go along for the ride, then shake out his drawers! His driving skills would have been used to keep it from happening in the first place. My best comment is that the only thing on the road that would be worse than driving a set of wiggle wagons on black ice would be driving a set of triples!
I agree, to me it looked like he was going way to fast for the conditions. Although things can sneak up on you alot of the time you can see signs of it and slow down.

Been there and done it. Not a fun ride!