Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #15

I want to thank my rv friends for the info I took my BP this morning and it was 146 over 103 I took the pill and 3 hours later it was 131 over 98
I am keeping a log and am going back to Doctor in 4 weeks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Rodney for the positive report. Keep up with the monitoring and bringing that silent killer down.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good report Rodney! Remember in the morning your BP will normally be a bit higher. To get a good reading at any time, relax in your favorite chair a few mins before taking it. Also, take your meter with you next visit and compare accuracy with what the nurse gets.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rodney, if your doctor puts a diuretic ask him if you need a potassium suppliment to go with it. Quite a few of the diuretics will lower your potassium too much and "that ain't good". I agree that it's a good idea to get a BP monitor (I use a wrist model) and also to take it with you to doc's to check against whatever they are using. Best to you. Keep a close on it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #19

PyrateSilly:

A nagging cough is a common side effect of Lisinopril. Get your hubby's doc to find another medication of the same type.

I'm on three different BP meds, Lisinopril I've been taking for over 20 years without any problems. I added Amlodipine Besylate 6 years ago to get my BP down below the State DOT limits for a CDL.

After recent angioplasty, I got a third one, a beta blocker called Carvedilol. It has given me some grief, mainly greatly increased fatigue, nose bleeds and kidney aches. My formerly 20-minute after-lunch nap suddenly grew to over 2 hours and I was ready for bed by 21:30!

Based on medical recommendations, I cut the dose in half, and things are looking up.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
As I said the VA doc gave him a BP monitor and had him take the readings several times a day for a month. Turns out his BP is just naturally a little on the high side when his cholosteral is up and sometimes its so high the doc threatens to put him in the hospital to clean his blood if he had any other symptoms. The VA doc keeps a very strong eye on both him and I.
By the way as the doctor explained it, that "side effect" of coughing is his tounge swelling and his throat closing up and it could cause him to not wake up if he was asleep when it happened, that is why she took him off of it immediatly and his dads doctor in the hospital had him taken him off of it immediatly. Thom does not need BP meds but his dad still does so Thom does not take any and they did get something else for his dad to take.
That is why I say if anything changes that just does not seem right get with your doctor ASAP to see about it. It really could be something wrong.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will tell you one danger of BP meds though... I was having dizzy spells too (I'm on BP meds) and finally one day as I was refilling a 'script (in fact that script) at the big store pharmacy I dropped the script off at the pharmacy counter, walked all the way to the far corner of the store to pick up a gallon of Distilled for the batteries, and all the way back lugging the water, Sat in the BP monitor chair and pushed the button.. The display explained the dizzy spells (Kind of low) I cut my meds in half, broke out my home monitor and observed the result.

Talked with my doctor shortly after and he supported my action (Halving the meds)

The result was good too.. I still monitor from time to time here at home but not as tightly as I do when making changes.

One suggestion: Medical ID Bracelets Necklaces and Emergency Medical Information Services by MedicAlert Foundation

A good jewlery store for folks with medical issues.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #22

After 4 days on BP medicine I am still about 146 over 103 in the morning and 136 over 94 at about 6:00 pm 10:00 pm 139 over 99 the pressure
that I have had between my eyes is gone and I no longer have to strain to hold my eyes open I step up to 40mg in two weeks I have had no dizziness I feel better than I have in 2 years
Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Regardless of others self medicating strategies, I highly recommend you not arbitrarily change your medication dosage before checking with your health care provider. There can be serious consequences making changes in your medications.

My BP is usually at its highest early in the morning and trends down during the day. Thats why my doc directs me to take my BP meds at night before going to bed so it will be most effective the next morning. Also notice, after strenuous exercise your BP will usually be lower. If you've ever taken a stress test you'll notice that on the monitor.

Good luck, Rodney. It always takes a few weeks to even months to get the correct meds and dosages so don't get fidgety on us just yet.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #24

BP this morning was 168 over 112
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz
BP this morning was 168 over 112
Call your Doctor
Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #26

I have been taking 10mg of Benicar for over 10 years without ill effects. Last I checked it was 120/75.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rodney, you have to see the doctor. The med you are on is not doing the job, but there is one out there that will. Don't take chances with your health. I have been taking two BP meds for over 30 years with no ill effects and I usually am at 120/70 - before I started, about like you and higher. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Rodneykrantz,
The previous posts cover a lot of ground. Each of us is different. What works for one may not for another. The genetic history on both sides of my family have high BP and heart disease. All the males on both sides have died of heart attacks. I believe and consult only with holistic physicians. What I did when diagnosed with high blood pressure:
1. Lost the weight. I lost 54 pounds and have kept it off for 5 years. I now weigh what the BMI says I should weigh.
2. Take nutrient supplements (NOT vitamins). I take enough for two people. Double dose.
3. Eat organic foods as much as possible prepared with sauces and oils that are good for humans.
4. Continue to be vigilant on the chemicals that are in the foods I eat.
5. Walk 4 miles a day. It takes me about 67 minutes. Not a blistering pace but enough to get the heart pumping without ruining my knees.
6. Take two baby aspirin each day. One at breakfast and one at dinner.
7. Eat 3 meals a day. No snacks between meals. Eat healthy food until you are full.

High BP is gone, heart pains are gone, joint paint is gone, energy is up. I believe in prescription medication only for trauma situations. And only for short periods of time until the trauma passes.

Good luck. It may take some time for you to determine what works for you.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote