Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 09:45 AM   #29
YC1

We used to jump ski from shore in kee deep water on a single of course.

Behind a 25 hp boat. Aluminum 14 footer. We could just about stop the boat if we dug in.

Our first boat had a 50 hp merc with the prop pitched for pulling. We had tons of fun in it. 75 hp would have been a dream. 100 would have been unheard of ..

On the other hand, my 18 ft Ranger Bass boat with a 175 hp engine was a turd pulling skiers. The prop was built for speed so I had one that had a lower pitch. If I had pitched it down even more it would have be much better but at that time my skiing days were waning. Just takes too long to heal.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post
I wouldn’t call a 250 pound grandpa out of shape! Round is a shape

I've heard that! [emoji3]

Cooking venison jerky now, next comes the summer sausage! Cleaned and processed 6 deer so far this season, grandson is catching on to this deer slaying and he's keeping me busy!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #31

Way to go Tim. That’s a lot of venison for sure. You’ve taught the grandson well!
Old 12-03-2017, 05:53 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Boat engine question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I don't mean to sound rude but really? I have been a boater all my life until 2 yrs ago. There is no similarity between a RV and your question at all. I could give you my opinion on your question but I don't think we should take this post down this road.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

I need to apologize joe11 at the time I posted the above statement I didn't realize it was in the "Just Conversation " forum. I thought it was just a boater asking that question on a RV Forum. When using an iPad you can go to recent activity and it shows all recent posts whether on going or new, if you don't look closely at were it originated from you don't know and that is what I did and I apologize.
Todd
Old 12-04-2017, 03:06 AM   #33

Is this you? Yes I'd say pulling a skier should be a no brainer, hell you can even add a parasailer

https://youtu.be/j136TTyG_E8
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
I didn't see no roof, no slide, no grill, no relatives mooching a free day at the lake and most of all no cooler full of wet ones! That's no pontoon boat! It's a racing boat! [emoji41]
Old 05-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
I know I'm late to this thread but I have had experience with pontoons and tritoons. My FIL had a 24' pontoon with an 85hp Evinrude. On his 80th birthday I towed him and all 5 of his children on skis behind the boat with myself and an observer. It took longer to get everyone out of the water, but we did it. A good friend has a 22' tritoon and I don't even remember how big the outboard on it is, but it pulls 2-3 skiers easily.

My best recommendation would be to take any boat out for a test drive to be sure, but I'd think 115hp should be plenty to ski with, unless you want to barefoot ski.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I believe 115 hp is more than enough to pull a skier.. I base this on a 35 hp being able to pull a skier behind a 16 ft v hull. It wouldn't pull us up if we were slalom, but we learned to come up on two skies, then remove one ski and carry it in case you fell....
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #37

A 17 ft Thistle will pull a skier. Don't need no stinkin engine.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:02 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
We're hosting at a lake currently and noticed over the past few years that skiing is going out of style. Surfing behind a boat is the popular thing now. Larger boats going slow throwing up huge wakes with a surfer following along behind. I tryed it a few years back, much less physical demand on body but does take agility.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:49 AM   #39

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though not a boater I have to agree with the First Responder. I'd not be able to tell but I would ask other boaters. I am 100% sure there is a forum family somewhere for boaters.

About the only Crossover I know of betwen RV's and Boats is in my doghouse. The Chevy Vortec 8.1L comes in a land based version (around 320 HP give or take a bit depending on the specifics) and a MARINE version (Same identical enging, different comptuer. MUCH bigger radiator (AKA lake or river) 500 HP.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:55 AM   #40

My Bennington 24 foot tritoon has a F150 Yamaha and it runs 40 mph. But my motor is substantially stronger.

115 hp will tow a skier, but not great. Very few skiers are seen any more, as most water sports are fibers and wake boarders.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:14 AM   #41

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
My Bennington 24 foot tritoon has a F150 Yamaha and it runs 40 mph. But my motor is substantially stronger.

115 hp will tow a skier, but not great. Very few skiers are seen any more, as most water sports are fibers and wake boarders.
For a time we owned a 115 hp flathead 6 Chrysler powered 26' cruiser. It had a mahogany planked planing hull and would top out at 23 mph. A 22' tri-toon should surely go faster than that since it's so light.

Also, I have to ask, what is the water sport of 'fibers'? I understand what a wakeboard is but not familiar with fibers. Also, I'd hardly think any pontoon or tri-toon boat would be good for wakeboarding, they don't typically don't throw a large wake.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
About the only Crossover I know of betwen RV's and Boats is in my doghouse. The Chevy Vortec 8.1L comes in a land based version (around 320 HP give or take a bit depending on the specifics) and a MARINE version (Same identical engine, different comptuer. MUCH bigger radiator (AKA lake or river) 500 HP.
Are you sure? The 500 HP in the boat is more likely an 8.2, not an 8.1. Big difference. The 8.1 is a long stroke, high torque, LOW RPM engine. The 8.2 is a short stroke, big piston, HIGH rpm engine. You get HP from high RPM. Not sure you can safely turn an 8.1 that fast. Either way, the engines would have 2 very different heads. The 8.1 heads are small peanut port. The 8.2/502 is a large oval port head.

Tags
engine