Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #15

If they only screen visible minorities, it will leave a huge window of opportunity for the terrorists. I think people are to relaxed now that 9 years has passed without a major attack. A few pat downs on 911 could have saved many lives.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
If they only screen visible minorities, it will leave a huge window of opportunity for the terrorists. I think people are to relaxed now that 9 years has passed without a major attack. A few pat downs on 911 could have saved many lives.

If you fly,everyone should be subject to scan or search,diaper at 3 months or diaper at 80 years,that way there can't be any I'm sorry we missed a terrorist with a bomb in the diaper.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Flying is not a "Right" it is a service. To assure that the service is safe for the flying public, I say screen, screen, screen. I want to know that the person next to me has been cleared to fly when I fly.

I have just heard this evening that Pilots will no longer be subject to screening "HOWEVER" flight crew will still have to go through the screening. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. The pilots should not be privileged to just walk through where others that work for the same airline in the same aircraft have to be screened.

Now if I go back a few years the aircraft on 911 were directed by (wanna be) pilots not stewardesses. I'm just sayin' - what's to stop a determined individual from getting a uniform? If often occurs that a pilot and co-pilot may not have even met one another.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 11-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Flying is not a "Right" it is a service. To assure that the service is safe for the flying public, I say screen, screen, screen. I want to know that the person next to me has been cleared to fly when I fly.

I have just heard this evening that Pilots will no longer be subject to screening "HOWEVER" flight crew will still have to go through the screening. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. The pilots should not be privileged to just walk through where others that work for the same airline in the same aircraft have to be screened.

Now if I go back a few years the aircraft on 911 were directed by (wanna be) pilots not stewardesses. I'm just sayin' - what's to stop a determined individual from getting a uniform? If often occurs that a pilot and co-pilot may not have even met one another.
Why screen the pilots? If they want to land the plane somewhere other than a runway, who will stop them. They won't be wearing explosive diapers, they'll just use the plane as a weapon. No amount of pilot scans will solve that issue.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Don't like the new airport security? Do your part and vote with your dollars, take the train .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Old 11-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The general public screamed for more airline security and protection after 911. Now that it's in place some are calling it invasion of privacy.
I guess the consensus must now be Search everyone else but not me.
Whats wrong with this picture???
Old 11-21-2010, 03:56 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I fly every month to D.C. and welcome either or scanner or pat-down, doesn't matter to me, in fact at my age, a pat down is a thrill. Better safe than sorry in this day and age. Find another transporation mode if you don't want to be safe in the air, that's your right as an American.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I agree that safety is an issue and security measures should be in place. However, there are other methods available such as the Israelis and K-9's. Both are much cheaper, more effective, less invasive and doesn't make George Soros (who makes the scanners) more money!! Also as previously stated both cargo and pilots are not scanned. Hence a weakness. And don't forget about the ground crew, are they checked and screened. What is to prevent them from loading something on the plane? Guess my point being that regardless of your view on the scanning and pat downs, If you are going to have security on a plane, then it should be 100% all the way around and not done half ass. You can't have super stringent security here but partial security there. It is a farce and a joke.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #23

It's not just those that fly that may have this scan or grope. I recently had to go to my local SocSec office which is in a federal building and had to go through the typical metal scanner, remove my shoes and belt. Same thing for a recent cruise.

I traveled to Israel on business a number of years ago. No scans, no gropes just had to answer several questions of where I had been, who I saw, why I was there, etc. They seem to focus on the who and less the what is getting on the plane.

When we basically have to be strip searched to travel from one state to another, the enemy has won.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
Old 11-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #24

if i am going to fly and have a choice it will be the pat down, BUT i want the opposite sex patting me down......................

at my age i'll take all of that i can.

some places i have been, you have to "pay" for this service..................

bob
Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Yes, one could say that the terrorists have won with all this hub bub thats been going on since the "don't touch my junk" guy started all this with the incident in San Diego. I'm with Mike on this one, I want to be safe when flying and want to know that the guy sitting next to has been screened. Don't fly if you don't want to put up with the searches. I'm not saying that it is right or wrong, only that it's the way it is.

TSA is made out to be the bad guys with this, but these people are only doing their job. Do you really think that they enjoy grabbing someones "package" ? And, it is not a fair comparison to compare our airport to Tel Aviv. Could you just imagine interviewing or profiling all the passengers that come thru Atlanta, JFK or O'hare. It's not the same thing.

But, in the end, the bad guys are over there, wherever that is, rolling in the aisles laughing at us because we are our own worse enemies sometimes.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Do you really think that they enjoy grabbing someones "package" ?
1 out of 10 do enjoy giving the pat downs except at the San Fran airport where it is 9 out of 10

The terrorists have not won. That guy who said " I will have you arrested if you touch my junk" is the guy who has won. He is loving this.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #27

Are we really worried about some person in a room seeing an image of our skin? Those scan viewers see thousands of people a day. Think about it in context of a shower at the gym.
According to the Roper Organization, 40 million Americans have skinny-dipped in mixed company. A lady on FaceBook has suggested a separate line for naked people. Is it really that big of a deal?

I do agree with the guy who preferred a member of the opposite sex to search him.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #28

If you don't like the rules . . . don't play the game.

To think that he could refuse a body scan and a pat down with the confontational "don't touch my junk" outburst and still board the plane . . . he's an idiot.

Let's see how many people stay in the "opt out line" when they realize that it will cause them to miss their flight??

Is our system perfect??? Obviously not . . . beats the alternatives, IMHO.
Closed Thread