Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-20-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Body scan or pat-down?

With all the noise about intrusive scans or pat-downs I thought I'd bring up the subject. As one who has no intent of flying in the future, I for one don't forsee myself being subjected to either & I also don't feel as tho this intrusion on our privacy will make us much safer.

From what has been reported, a miniscule amount (as little as a gram) of non-metallic, non detectable explosive has the capacity to bring down an aircraft. Also, the vast majority of cargo which has been loaded on to plane just beneath passenger compartment does not get screened. In addition, flights returning to the USA from many overseas countries are not subject to the scrutiny that the American public has to face flying from city to city.

Without getting too political, what's the solution? Do we adopt the security system that the Israelis use? Would love to know what you think. Jodann

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have given up reading or listening to the news. For me, all it does is get me cranked up for things I can't do anything about. From what I have seen of TSA agents, I wouldn't want them near my car much less massaging my package.

PS: I do however, pat down my wife anytime she enters our Motorhome.

NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
The TSA is the best thing to happen to the RV industry.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I avoid flying at all costs whenever possible. If the trip is 500 miles one way or less, I'll drive.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 11-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
If you are on a flight and the guy next to you stands up and starts screaming " love to Allaha" and pulls an explosive out of his pants, you will wish that everyone on board was stripped and cavity searched before boarding.
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Old 11-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Terrorists around the world must be falling down laughing at what they have the rest of the world doing. With all our technology, this is the best we can do? The problem must be the technology that could do away with the scanners and pat downs is so advanced and secret the govt does not want it used to benefit every day Joe and Jane citizen.

Then again, think of all the unemployed people the govt hired to fill these positions.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 11-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Easy solution: Every body flies naked!
Jimmy & Tre
Katy, TX
2014 Allegro Red 38QRA
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
Old 11-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
Does that mean if a guy does the "love to Allaha" thing in the RV next to your at an RV park you would then want our coaches rifled threw and searched at the entrance to all RV parks?? It's just something to think about. How much is too much when it comes to safety?
Billy & Carrie Womack - Long Beach, CA
2011 Tiffin Pheaton 36 QSH Cummins ISC 380
Old 11-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When they start profiling, I will consider flying again. Until then I will drive the RV and see the USA they way it was intended to be seen.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

Old 11-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
give me 1 beer and i can feel it give me 2 and anybody can feel it,and @ my age if they want to stick a hand down my britches and feel around ! go for it .I remember years ago Red Skelton had a lady put her hand in his pocket and she said this feels crazy and he said move your had to the left and you will feel nutts!!!!He was in big trouble with the network and almost got canceled
My! how times have changed . SO get on the plane and hope they check everyone as well as they do you.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
Newmar Owners Club
We're our own worst enemy. The terrorists want to bring us down. Fine. Secure the border, bring all the troops home, let the world be it's own police force. We don't need to be in this position.

As for scanning and groping. Huge waste of money looking at things instead of looking at people. We have gotten so PC that we have lost common sense.

So, we waste time, waste money, put fear in everyone. Who won that round? The terrorists. It's a war. You don't think soldiers profile? You don't think law enforcement profiles. You're fooling yourself.

You don't need to search a two year olds diaper. You don't need to search an 80 year olds shoes. Some common sense would be nice.
Tom & Kelly
'02 Mt. Aire DP 4095
Old 11-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is my ''take'' on the subject.......

One .... If you fly you are subject to gettin' Scanned down or Felt up and you have three options.
Option A. Take the train or bus or drive a car
Option B. Be scanned down or be Felt up if you want to fly.
Option C. Stay home and watch TV....

I have determined that Willa could be a terrorist and I feel it is necessary to do 'random searches' on her person. It is a necessary procedure and I conduct it with great enthusiasm and she giggles a lot and sometimes makes suggestions. I do this to make my country safe and to be sure she is not sneaking anything dangerous into the coach.

Lets stop wasting our youngest and finest ...... BRING OUR TROOPS HOME REAL SOON........

Nuff said b 4 i get in trouble....
Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Profiling is not wrong, it is the only sensible answer! Sadly, we have become victims of the ACLU!
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
Having had a total knee replacement for the last 4 years (just got my other done 4 weeks ago), I have had to have the pat down every time I've flown. Atlanta has started using some of the scanners for some of their lines - so I've done both.

I have dealt with it - do I like it? No.

2010 Sportsmen Classic 16BH
2002 F150 Super Crew with 4.6 L, 3.73 ratio
Closed Thread