Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bubbled paint at bottom of entrance door on DP

Hello,

My DH and I started looking at MHs yesterday. We will be buying used. We saw a Newmar 1998 with 70007 miles on it that is in pretty good condition.

The entrance door had a lot of bubbles in the paint at the bottom. What is this (rust) non visible and is it a concern or can it be painted and fixed. There was one other spot (of same thing) on a basement door.

Couch would need to be replaced because it is worn out. Can these be re-upholstered and re-stuffed? The thing started right up and they did not know we were coming to look at it.

There is some minor rust in the engine compartment but not any pitting.

Please give me your knowledge on these issues.

Thank you, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 AM   #2

Are the bubbles in the actual paint or in the clear coat? I have a couple of spots on the generator door that have a few in the clear coat not the paint. As for the couch, why not replace the couch? When I bought my 96 Mountain Aire both chair and couch had been
replaced with new, they serve my needs. BTW, Newmar's are great!

Good luck.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The bubble looked surface to me, but my DH says in paint. The rest of the coach looked fine, but the bottom of the door was all across the bottom.

I see you have a 1996 Newmar, I take it you still like it? They are a higher end coach and this was nice. Wish it had had a second slide.

Is there maintenance that is necessary on the slides my DH wants to know. We are fighting ourselves not to buy this coach. 39 ft and $37K.

Lynne
Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #4

I love mine, the only major problem I've had has been the fuel pump (mine is the F53 chassis), but I consider that a Ford problem and not a Newmar problem. As for the slide, can't answer the maintenance question, but in 3 years have never had a problem, though that little voice that comes on when deploying it (in or out) does take some getting used to.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does it say "On the road again"? So is yours a gaser?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

Bubbles happen from imperfect prep at the factory. They need to be gouged out, filled with filler putty, primed and painted. Chances are you can also live with them, since once there, they probably won't increase.

The third photo shows a bunch of BB-sized gray dots. Every one of them was a small bubble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH painting 038.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	551.7 KB
ID:	71922   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH painting 021.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	529.8 KB
ID:	71923  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MH painting 037.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	610.1 KB
ID:	71924   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH painting 039.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	594.1 KB
ID:	71925  

Old 08-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Does it say "On the road again"? So is yours a gaser?
Nope, mine says, " please ensure that lock arms have been released and all items have been secured".

Yep, it's a gasser. I also know how difficult these "Newmars" are to resist. I wasn't even looking for a Rv when I spied this one at an RV sales lot. Had never even heard of Newmar. Kept going back to look, came here to ask questions. Just couldn't resist, have never been sorry.

Mine has the tag axle and is a dream to drive. BTW, I go solo and am a 60 year old female. I also tow a car on a tow dolly, it's easy. Be sure if you do buy this motorhome that you learn to drive it. You will never regret learning.

Kaye
Old 08-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kaye,

I have driven motorhomes before. I drove ambulances too. Farm tractors. Not to worried about the driving. Looking for 36 to 39 foot but will do a 40 if right. Want 2 slides of which this did not have. Mostly why we decided to walk and we really want to wait until next year since I have 3 yrs to work yet.

Do you have any issues with a gaser going up hills? I have had several people say get a DP because if you plan to do mountains you will need the power of a diesel. Have you had issues with that?

Lynne
Old 08-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #9

Nope, no problems going up hill and I tow a fairly heavy car (1993 cutlass convertible at just about 4000 lbs).

Tags
door, paint