Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #1

Bucket List Item crossed off!

So I was sitting on my couch last night watching the World Series game 5 on TV when the house shuddered and the windows rattled. What was that? my son and I asked each other. It was like a sonic boom without the loud noise. So went to bed and this morning I find out I had finally experienced an EARTHQUAKE! This has always been on my bucket list, every time I go to Cali I wish to have a small, non-damaging quake that I feel, but it never happens. This quake was centered near Black Canyon City about 30 miles north of Phx and I up I-17.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Interesting bucket list. Hope that you do not have cannon ball catching on the list! LOL

Old 11-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Having been through a ton of them while living in Alaska - and my wife was in the Good Friday 9.2 in Anchorage - I can say that is definitely NOT one of the things on our bucket list - been there, done that, got the t-shirt!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
... I can say that is definitely NOT one of the things on our bucket list - been there, done that, got the t-shirt!
They have t-shirts for that? Awesome, I'll check into that!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #5

Old 11-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
They have t-shirts for that? Awesome, I'll check into that!
Here ya go!

https://www.zazzle.com/earthquake_su...07615763119144
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
That's funny right there. Experienced a few mild shakers during my time in AK in the 70's. Also cleaned volcanic ash from the car a couple times.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:07 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I read that Phoenix has had a swarm of earthquakes during the past few days.

I experienced the Northridge Earthquake and many others. Earthquakes are definitely not on my bucket list.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:09 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Never been in or on one never want too thank you, Florida is sounding better and better.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Did 'Standing on the beach when a giant tsunami rolls in', make your list ?
Old 11-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #11

96 Wideglide: No, a giant tsunami is definitely not on my bucket list! That would make for a very bad day.

pagosajoe: Thanks for that t-shirt link, I might get two for my son and I.

ArmandV: I don't mean to make light of the tragic consequences and human suffering caused by large quakes. I had just moved to AZ when that Northridge quake happened and had some friends that had to go there and help with the cleanup. I grew up in rural Nebraska and never had any experience with quakes, but was always fascinated by them, and always wanted to experience a very small quake just once in my lifetime. I just found it humorous that it happened while sitting on my couch at my house in quake-challenged Arizona. It's like when we would have visitors to Nebraska from the west coast in the spring and summer and they would sometimes want to witness a tornado or strong thunderstorm that would commonly plague the Great Plains, just for the experience. BTW, there are people in Phx who did notice the Northridge quake in their houses, with vertical blinds and pool water getting disturbed!
Old 11-03-2015, 02:14 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gee I remember the opening of a World Series game on Oct 17, 1989 at 5:04 pm.

Loma Prieta 6.9 earthquake hit about 30 miles north of me. Our RV came in handy because we were without power for four days.

Wonder what it is about World Series games?

Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:08 AM   #13

There is a major difference between "feeling" an earthquake, and being on top of a major one. We were 3 miles due south of the Northridge epicenter, which was absolutely no fun or anything I would wish on anybody. It was our last straw of living in CA, and we left at the end of that year. 4:31 am Jan 17th 1994. It is the only day in my life when I know exactly what happened at a specific minute.

It was absolutely terrifying, and the most scared I have ever been. The unique thing about an earthquake it that comes out of nowhere, at any time, and you are in no way prepared for the event.

The closest you can get to the sound and violence is standing next to a funny car when it does a burn out. Only, someone needs to put you there when you're sound asleep (wether it is 4:31 am or not) because you can't be prepared for it.

A good friend of mine had lived in the apartment building some years before that famously collapsed on itself and killed a bunch of people in their sleep.....

Then you have to live through the after shocks and wonder of what you just experienced was really a pre shock, and something worse is about to happen (in 5 minutes, or 5 weeks, so you live in constant fear for quite a while). Is there going to be gas leaks and fires (I was the only one with thier wits in our condo complex to go turn off all the gas valves for everyone), and quickly you could see fires in the distance. How bad was it, is all of LA like this? How long are we going to be without power? Are we going to have mass society breakdown and it becomes every man for himself? If there is a bigger one following in a couple of days, what happens if we are not at home, and how do we get back and find each other?

Yep, I had felt a handful before that one, and thought it was kinda fun too, but believe me, being In the middle of a bad one is no fun at all, not something I would ever wish on anyone.

When it was all over, we were much luckier than many many others in our area, including that our complex was one of the very few that was not condemned since our condos were more like townhouses built on a slab, not over open underground garages..... And, we had personal and condo complex earthquake insurance.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RE: the Northridge Quake. My experience was being sound asleep when it hit. Remember Linda Blair's bed jumping up & down in The Exorcist? That's what it was like. Not fun!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote