Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #15

While I'm not old enough to be in that category, I'm also not dumb enough to not realize that these "people ruining the country" are the only reason we can exist.
Sounds like a typical entitlement jerkball with no long term vision.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I've always wondered why we get a vision test when we first get our DL as teenagers but never have to take one again when renewing our DL. Is that just true in my state, OK?
Utah checks the vision on renewals.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
While I don't agree at all with the sentiment expressed in the article, there is a case to be made for some greater vigilance in a drivers skills as they approach an advanced age (say 75 for discussion). My father was such a case. His skills deteriorated badly as he reached his late 70's and no amount of discussion, reasoning, pleading would convince him to give up his wheels or even curtail his driving. He went against Doctors orders, was involved in a pattern of fender benders and in general was becoming a menace. His age wasn't the specific issue, his ability was but sometimes one affects the other. I eventually had to get the licensing body to remove his license but that took about a year. A year that could have seen someone seriously hurt or killed.

So my point in telling you all this is that as important as driving may be to all of us, don't be so hard headed as to not listen to those around you who love you if they start expressing concerns about your driving. It isn't that anyone wants to make you dependent but they are concerned about you getting hurt or hurting someone else. Imagine how you would feel if someone got killed because you refused to acknowledge a problem either through pride or fear.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
July 2 & 9 issue page 46.
"Get the old off the road"
"They'er the worst drivers-and we're too scared to tell them so. If we don't push back, they'll steal our benefits and bankrupt the country."

Cancelled it also.
As is your right ... but did you actually read the essay? Aside from the attention-grabbing lines you quoted (which aren't even in the piece), he makes a lot of valid points.

David Frum on How We Need to Learn to Say No to the Elderly - The Daily Beast
Old 06-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Nobody wants us old folks. Just all our money and whatever is left.
Hey

Is that why my kids are always asking me how I'm feeling and looking at their watches????

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
On the driving question, I suggest that having to retake the driving test to confirm fitness isn't a bad idea. Even folks like me in our 40's can develop bad habits that impact safety or have other issues that make us unfit to drive and a danger to others.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #21

Florida checks vision but does NOT check hearing ? but has a law that no ear phones can be used while operating a motor vehicle ? Our neighbor is totaly deaf and just got his License renewed, so how does he hear emergency vehicles ?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #22

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
On the driving question, I suggest that having to retake the driving test to confirm fitness isn't a bad idea. Even folks like me in our 40's can develop bad habits that impact safety or have other issues that make us unfit to drive and a danger to others.
I don't have any problem with that at all. But let's make it a more universal thing. As I drive down the road, there are very few drivers over 40 that get my attention or make me nervous. There are a ton of 20 year olds or less that do.
I'd love to see anyone under 21 have to take their driving test every year.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #23

Although with how sound proof they are making vehicles today, how is anybody supposed to hear emergency vehicles???

I have to say that riding in the back seat on the drivers side behind my grandpa (when my dad had just purchased his first super has everything chrysler 300M) scared the beejesus outta me! He was soooo close to sideswipping so many cars it was rediculous! We couldn't get him to stop driving but he only went to the grocery store & the doctors office. He did hit his neighbors fence but other than that he was lucky!

We have to take an eye exam when renewing (where we have to take half of the written test) but that only like every 15 or 20 years or something! I think eye exams & behind the wheel testing every 5-10 years after the age of (somewhere between) 30 & 50 would be great.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bus View Post
...and maybe our recipes?
I've got thousands of them left from my mother who was a Home Economics teacher for 33 years!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
We have to take an eye exam when renewing (where we have to take half of the written test) but that only like every 15 or 20 years or something! I think eye exams & behind the wheel testing every 5-10 years after the age of (somewhere between) 30 & 50 would be great.
When I was twelve my vision was 20/40 or worse (that's when I got my first pair of hard contacts). Then it got to where I couldn't even see the big "E" without hard contacts. Now at 65 it's 20/15 and was 20/10 right after the cataract and lens replacement surgery with no contacts or glasses.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #26

True, vision can change & so can depth perception, night vision & reaction times... not to mention bad driving habits. Which is where I think actual behind the wheel testing would be beneficial.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
What was that movie where the youngsters did away with everyone over 30. I think it was back in the 70's.

Actually it was "Wild in the streets" from '69... They wanted to put anyone over 30 in camps and keep them drugged up. Remember Max Frost ?
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
As is your right ... but did you actually read the essay? Aside from the attention-grabbing lines you quoted (which aren't even in the piece), he makes a lot of valid points.

David Frum on How We Need to Learn to Say No to the Elderly - The Daily Beast
Yes I did. I would not dispute all points so much as what meaning/feeling I got out of it.
I think he said.
The current and projected ills of youth are due to the old.
And I would dispute some of his points starting with driving. If the older driver is so bad and causes so many accidents why don't those impacted the most - insurance companies - charge a LOT more for that age group?

Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote