Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Buying a campground is like any other small baseness. Be ready to:

1. Work 7 days a week sometimes.
2. Be willing to go without a pay check now and then to make sure your staff is paid first.
3. Be "on-call" all night, every night.
4. Give a large portion of the fruits of your labor to the IRS.
5. Get used to everyone thinking you are rich while dinner that night is Mac and Cheese.
6. Be ready to dedicate your heart, mind, and body totally to the business.
7. Give up massive amounts of time to the business instead of your family.

If you have any doubts at all DO NOT enter the business. You have not got the commitment to make it successful. No disrespect meant.

This is what I leaned in owning and managing small businesses for over 30 years.

Good Luck no matter what you course you chose for your life.

Perfectly stated! Running your own business is not for everyone- in fact, its hardly for anyone!

For people who have a stronger urge to be in control and be creative than crave security, it can be a great life. For everyone else, its like a term in prison.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 08:17 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
Isn't owning a campground the opposite of going camping? I look at campground ownership the same as dairy farming (24/7/365) except campers can come knock on your door in the middle of the night.
Exactly!!! I run a campground. Not as romantic as you might think.
We get away in the off season but summer season is hard and long days.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #31
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Like everyone else here, I am SO happy there are people in the world that do want to own and run a campground, but I'm not one of them. It's 24/7 during the "season", no breaks, no vacations, no matter what is going on in your life, and not as laid back during the off season as you might think.

We had a seasonal site for a number of years in central Wisconsin. Six months of the year they didn't have a minute to themselves. Even birthdays, funerals, weddings - they couldn't get away. They had to deal all kinds of humanity, maintenance issues, regulations, on and on. During the off season they were busy making repairs and upgrades - a slower pace perhaps, but still not "off". They were lucky to take a month or two in the dead of winter.

Thank you very much to all of you dedicated campground/RV park owners/managers. I very much enjoy the fruits of your labor.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Like everyone else here, I am SO happy there are people in the world that do want to own and run a campground, but I'm not one of them. It's 24/7 during the "season", no breaks, no vacations, no matter what is going on in your life, and not as laid back during the off season as you might think.

We had a seasonal site for a number of years in central Wisconsin. Six months of the year they didn't have a minute to themselves. Even birthdays, funerals, weddings - they couldn't get away. They had to deal all kinds of humanity, maintenance issues, regulations, on and on. During the off season they were busy making repairs and upgrades - a slower pace perhaps, but still not "off". They were lucky to take a month or two in the dead of winter.

Thank you very much to all of you dedicated campground/RV park owners/managers. I very much enjoy the fruits of your labor.
We take off two weeks and then start all the winter projects. We are retiring in two years. Not soon enough. I have been doing this for 16 years.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #33

If you are really determined to fo this, there are plenty of RV parks for listed sale at Campgrounds for Sale: Buy or Sell a Campground or RV Park with The Campground Connection

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
I have considered building one. There is a beautiful 10 ac commercial tract adjacent to my property, near Lake Travis. It fronts 2 state highways and is covered with 40' - 60' post oak trees. I am in the business of building infrastructure, underground utilities, streets, and drainage, so the construction cost would be lower. The problem is, I don't want to be locked in after I retire. Trying to get someone to stay and manage it in the summer might be a challenge. That's when I would want to escape to the mountains.

One thing is for sure down here, every place is full with a waiting list. Strung out for months.

We were staying in Jonestown and commuting to work in Lakeway, but got lucky and somebody left early at La Hacienda. No more hour (each way) long commute.

Most parks waiting list is so long they're not adding more names. I should add; for a 43' coach. A few had sites for 20' pull behinds.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
We work camped a few years ago for a friend who owns a KOA, I would never do it. ............I suggest before anybody seriously considers buying a campground to go work for someone who owns one.........
Just work a campground for a few months and you will see

X2.....X2!!!! Don't talk to someone trying to sell you the CG, talk to the workers. Workamp for a while, including the all important housekeeping. Clean the restrooms and showers on a few busy weekends to see what your life would be like some of the time. It's retail dealing with the public on vacation. There are also the pros to go with the cons, but it seems a close balance.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #36

Ha ha, I was at a park in SD last year when the owner tried to talk me into buying his park. I told him no because I just retired. There was, and is, no way I'm going back to work again.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #37

Here is a different outlook. We've owned our cg for 31 years, raised our family here, worked unbelievably hard at times, and are convinced that for us it was the right decision. Like any business, there is the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm happy to say that the campers mostly fall into the "good" category. (Give yourselves a pat on the back!) We have so many repeat customers, both seasonal and vacationers, and we have watched them raise their families. We see the kids who have grown up camping at our park come back with their families. Many have become part of our extended family. As we get closer to retirement, we're looking at bringing one of our children into the business. Thank goodness because it would be hard to pass it on to strangers. If I had to make the decision over again, I would do exactly what we did with no second thoughts.

Owning a campground is not for everyone but for many of us, it has been an awesome way to spend our working years. If you are serious about it, there are seminars for prospective campground owners. They tell you the ins and outs of buying and running a campground. You can always PM me if you want to know more.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:49 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Years ago when I first starting RVing and "discovered" the KOA website they always listed Kampgrounds for Sale, and I considered it.

The locations for sale where I would actually want to live in year round are always pricy. The seasonal locations are always very affordable, but then why are the exact same seasonal locations always for sale? Hmm?

In the SoCal area there are at least five of six outfits that regularly visit and conduct seminars about RVPark and Campground ownership. Some are obviously complete scams, some are just brokers and want their cut in the deal, and some are run by big companies like KOA and Jellystone, (who get their monthly cut in the deal).

Tags
campground