Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #1

Buying first boat - need education

By next spring i would like to be able to be a the proud owner of my first boat. So i wanted to go ahead and start educating myself on not only what to look for but what not to look for. Dont know if i want a V hull, or fiberglass. I would like to ski with it someday if i ever make any friends here lol But mostly its for fishing

I ran across this boat, does this seem like a good deal, price wize it seems great but sometimes im weary of that as well.

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa...236740446.html

This one looks nice too

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/boa...234606019.html

Any other first time purchase help would be very appreciated as well.

Thanks
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7 HD cooling
Durango Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Find out who can service an old Nissan motor. I believe parts are very limited. Make sure you give them the year of the motor.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:12 PM   #3

Boat.......

Talk about a money pit.
Hole in the water one keeps pouring money into.

YES I have had several boats. Enjoyed everyone of them.
But wasn't on a fixed income.

You think RVng is costly.......

Nice looking boat......trolling motor set up. Decent price.
IF that 70 HP motor is in good shape....pumps cooling water
No soft spots
Fiberglass not cracking
Includes trailer

Two happiest days of a boat owner
Day he buys it
Day he sells it
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:15 PM   #4

Thanks, i guess one of my first questions should be what is a ballpark amount i should have saved to even be considered a serious buyer. Im not saying there are not great deal out there but i also know there is an median as well that you need to have to even go shopping. $1500, $3000 ?

Wow really, its that costly to have one? I didnt know that OB.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:16 PM   #5

+1 on checking for parts. I have an oddball evinrude OB and the service people never believe me when I order parts what its for. Last time I bought all they had cause its a rare motor.
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Although RV owners may also own boats & be able to guide you, an RV-ing forum wouldn't be my 1st choice for advice on boats. My friends who own boats, both the fishing & waterskiing kind, don't hang out on iRV2. Just sayin'.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkyfork View Post
+1 on checking for parts. I have an oddball evinrude OB and the service people never believe me when I order parts what its for. Last time I bought all they had cause its a rare motor.
I have a 5 hp Nisson,(made by Tahotsu I think) no issues on getting parts... As for your Evenrude, I have an old '50-'56 3 hp troller, I think it is a '54.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Although RV owners may also own boats & be able to guide you, an RV-ing forum wouldn't be my 1st choice for advice on boats. My friends who own boats, both the fishing & waterskiing kind, don't hang out on iRV2. Just sayin'.

Lori-
That is true, thanks for that tidbit

I could also hit youtube to learn about different hull types and inboard vrs outboard and stuff like that. I dont even know the keel from the stern lmao
Old 07-29-2017, 10:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Long time boat owner of several type boats (see signature photo for current) and retired Coast Guardsmen (boating safety is a main mission)

First, like an RV - having some DIY skills for the power/drive is a significant benefit.

The two boats featured are rather different. The Sea Ray will fish (but not as well as the Tidecraft), pull a skier and cruise.
The Tidecraft is for fishing. Cruising and pulling a skier would be less of a joy.

An Outboard (the Nissan) would be much simpler to care for over an I/O (in-board/out-board) like the Mercury Alpha because the Outboard can be pulled from the boat for service or storage.

Boats are a luxury. Buy what you want and can afford.

There's LOT of Internet places for sailing boats. Powerboats - not so much, but there's some. However iRV2 might not be the best for lots of experiences. You might want to search around for forums about boats and boating you like.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I have a 5 hp Nisson,(made by Tahotsu I think) no issues on getting parts... As for your Evenrude, I have an old '50-'56 3 hp troller, I think it is a '54.
Mine is 17 years old. The problem is its a 4 stroke 9.9 and they made very few.
I have found parts and some are interchangeable with some research. Some parts were used on that motor only. If you call evinrude parts and tell them what you have you get some pushback about how they never made a 4 stroke 9.9 and you must be mistaken. Lol There is no reason for them or anyone else to make specific parts for it.
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:13 AM   #11

I had a bass boat with a tohatsu 50 hp outboard and a 9.9 kicker, never a problem with either, 50 was a 2 stroke, kicker was a 4.
On the seamy you are looking at the new stainless prop sounds good but I'd have to wonder if the old prop had been switched out because it showed too many dings from running in too shallow...
By the way BOAT: break out another thousand
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #12

We have both DP MH and diesel single engine trawler. Have also owned 3 of each over the years.
First...decide how you intend to use it...list your Needs...Wants...Dont want
Then compare to same from DW or significant other...if applicable
If you dont agree go back to step 1

Then...talk to other boaters and find out what they like dislike about their boat. If there is a US Sail & Power Squadron in your area take a boating course. You will learn something and meet folks w similar interests to ask more questions.

Next...go looking a lot...boat shows good even if you want to buy used as you can see many in one place. Narrow the choices by comparing to your lists & budget.

Make any / all offers contingent on inspection by knowledgable inspector / engine mechanic and a "sea" trial. Any deposit...if needed...refundable based on contingencies above as well.

Good luck w the search...BTW make that fun...visit marinas etc and make a fun day of it...maybe even an onite near water. Great opportunity to talk to others.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:56 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I have migrated from racing boats flat bottom v-drive, to a jet boat, to a competion ski boat. None of which were good for more than the one thing they were built for. I never invisioned the desire to own a patio boat, but if I were in the market now, I would take a hard look at a tri-toon patio boat. They have became very versatile for skiing, tubing, and fishing over recent years and are very comfortable for many people. They are less expensive and can be had on the used market pretty cheap. BTW, after Labor Day is the best time to buy a used boat.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:33 AM   #14

When I sold my last boat I said no more boats, then I came across a 1992 hydrasport 1750 DC. It came with 120 HP Evinrude ,new foot controlled trolling motor,(2) pair of new obrien skis,(6) life jackets,(3) new fishing seats on a pole,cover,trailer,duffel bag full of ropes, box full of assorted stuff. All for the price of $1,500 just 1 season and I got my money's worth so the deals are out there.

Tags
cat