Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Harris Ranch is an ok place to stop, but you really ought to try Jocko's in Nipomo or the Hitching Post Steakhouse in Casmalia. Or, Alex BBQ in Shell Beach. All are better choices than Harris Ranch, and all are off the 101. It's a completely win-win solution. I-5 is currently pretty much busted up or under construction, and driving a coach would NOT be fun.
You missed the Far Western Tavern in Guadalupe. However, my favorite for steak is Jocko's, and number two is Far Western Tavern and number three is Hitching Post Steakhouse. Also, let's not overlook McClintocks in Shell Beach. Very good steaks also with a little showmanship thrown in. Lots of very good eating houses along Hwy 101 corridor in Central Coast area.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #16

Earlier this month we came up I-5 from Bakersfield area and most of I-5 was OK - there were a few stretches where we slowed to 50 mph or so to reduce the shock of the highway bumps but for the most part I drove 60 - 65. We did stop at Harris Ranch but did not eat there. We have traveled both I-5 and US 99 and neither are reallly "nice" highways. Just my opinion!!!
Safe Travels
Bob

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #17

Took I 5 from Shasta to Sacramento then picked it up again at the Grapevine and took 210 to 57 to Irvine, From Shasta to Sacramento is was absolutely horrible. We shook off the speakers off the wall and part of the microwave and the two dogs were bouncing around like a rubber ball. Wife said if we had to put up with that she wasn't going in the RV any more. Taking the coach back to Redlands Truck to have the Konis adjusted and see if something broke loose tomorrow.

Agree 101 is a much better choice. Harris Ranch is overrated and you will have the smell of the largest feed lot in the world. I agree Jocco;s or one of the basque places in Bakersfield.

101 is pretty, much of it goes along the coast. Solvang, Santa Ynez is as good a wine counry and Napa (Pinots and Syrahs) The movie SIDEWAYS was filmed their. Another beautiful part of Calif.

When I drive I 5 in a car, set the cruise on 85, look out for CHP and get through it as fast as possible. Kettlemen City is almost the only place to stop for something to eat.

Safe travels. Please buy lots of fuel and spend lots of money in our fair state we need all the help we can get.

pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrick View Post
Took I 5 from Shasta to Sacramento then picked it up again at the Grapevine and took 210 to 57 to Irvine, From Shasta to Sacramento is was absolutely horrible. We shook off the speakers off the wall and part of the microwave and the two dogs were bouncing around like a rubber ball. Wife said if we had to put up with that she wasn't going in the RV any more. Taking the coach back to Redlands Truck to have the Konis adjusted and see if something broke loose tomorrow.

Agree 101 is a much better choice. Harris Ranch is overrated and you will have the smell of the largest feed lot in the world. I agree Jocco;s or one of the basque places in Bakersfield.

101 is pretty, much of it goes along the coast. Solvang, Santa Ynez is as good a wine counry and Napa (Pinots and Syrahs) The movie SIDEWAYS was filmed their. Another beautiful part of Calif.

When I drive I 5 in a car, set the cruise on 85, look out for CHP and get through it as fast as possible. Kettlemen City is almost the only place to stop for something to eat.

Safe travels. Please buy lots of fuel and spend lots of money in our fair state we need all the help we can get.

If you took the 118 to get to the 210 you went by my place. We are near Hanson Dam at Sunland Blvd. Next time you get near, stop in. just send me a PM.
We are going to stay at the Napa Valley Expo RV Park, do the wine train for lunch and go through Sterling Winery and then to Lake Tahoe. Unfortunatly I will have to spend money in our dear old state. Got to support Gov. Moonbeam.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv4dnp View Post
5 through the central valley( Bakersfield through Manteca is not bad. From there on through 20 miles North of Sacramento it is terrible. Just went through there in July. They are working on repaving but the slow lane is terrible. Moving to the fast lane can be an adventure since the pavement is 5 inches higher! 101 is much better but not to get to Harris Ranch.
99 goes through Bakersfield and Manteca, I-5 does not. That being said, 99 from Fresno north was not good last year. A report on I-5 or 99 either one, unless it is recent, is invalid, the truck traffic is such that a repave with the asphalt is only good for about a year.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
A little known "secret" if you want to avoid the hustle and bustle of the 5 is Hwy 33. Once down the Grapevine you take 166 west to the 33, and then 33 north right up to Coalinga and Harris Ranch. It might not be quite as fast, but it's in great condition and worth taking at least once just to see a bit more of California.

Steve
I hesitate to be negative, but, I oversee some mining operations on the west side of Kern Co, so am out there every so often. IMHO, there is nothing senic about 33 from Maricopa to Coalinga. 166 from Mettler to Maricopa is just as bad. The entire Central Valley, is just to be gotten through via whatever is the least painful. Overall, my preference is to get on the I-5 west of Bakersfield when we are going north, as I am coming from the east on 58. Going through Bakersfield on surface streets to me is better than taking 99 north even though I can stay on a freeway with 99. Now, I know Bakersfield, but that still doesn't make it easy. I do not like 99 north of Fresno, up to there, it is fine. North of Fresno, from probably 11 am on, the truck traffic is horrendous, and that is an old, old freeway, the lanes are narrow.

Others have mentioned restaurents along these roads, if you want to drive the 33, then by all means stop at the Penny Cafe, in McKittrick. I do, when I am at a mine about 5 miles from there. Didn't say it is good, but then beggars cain't be choosers. Decorations are different!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:31 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post

If you took the 118 to get to the 210 you went by my place. We are near Hanson Dam at Sunland Blvd. Next time you get near, stop in. just send me a PM.
We are going to stay at the Napa Valley Expo RV Park, do the wine train for lunch and go through Sterling Winery and then to Lake Tahoe. Unfortunately I will have to spend money in our dear old state. Got to support Gov. Moonbeam.
Chuck,

I lived in Santa Clarita, CA for 16 years while employed in the film industry. I am now traveling the NAC Workamping and will return to Santa Clarita in October of 2012 for a stay. Isn't Shadow Hills over by Santa Clarita off the 14 freeway, or is there another one over by the Hanson Dam near Sylmar and San Fernando?

When in Santa Clarita, I always stay at Valencia Travel Village.

Safe travels.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #22

33 is an adventure in driving between Blackwells Corner (46 intersection) and Kettleman City (41 intersection). It's VERY curvy and narrow. It takes you through old California oil towns like Maricopa, Taft, Fellows, Derby Acres, McKittrick, and the center of HUGE orchards, mostly pistachios.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Chuck,

I lived in Santa Clarita, CA for 16 years while employed in the film industry. I am now traveling the NAC Workamping and will return to Santa Clarita in October of 2012 for a stay. Isn't Shadow Hills over by Santa Clarita off the 14 freeway, or is there another one over by the Hanson Dam near Sylmar and San Fernando?

When in Santa Clarita, I always stay at Valencia Travel Village.

Safe travels.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Hi Richard, My Shadow Hills is off the 118 at Sunland Blvd right by the Tujunga Wash as you are headed east to La Canada and Pasadena..We have alot of studio people that live here. It's all horse country and the proximity to the wash makes for some great riding. I go by the Travel Village when we go out the 126 and also have friends on the east side of Santa Clarita. When you get back in the area we should try and get together.
Chuck
Old 08-25-2011, 01:29 PM   #24

The 33's not a grand coastal highway for sure, but it's a change from I-5. But then again, I am partial to just wandering around and seeing something different. If I am in a rush I just take I-5 of course (we travel between the Bay Area and the SF Valley all the time).

101 is okay but it's mostly not that scenic and right now, just west of Santa Barbara there is a truly horrific section of road that is the worst I've driven on (and I drive the I-680/I-5/I-505 quite a bit). In that area just slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down.

Steve
Old 08-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
The 33's not a grand coastal highway for sure, but it's a change from I-5. But then again, I am partial to just wandering around and seeing something different. If I am in a rush I just take I-5 of course (we travel between the Bay Area and the SF Valley all the time).

101 is okay but it's mostly not that scenic and right now, just west of Santa Barbara there is a truly horrific section of road that is the worst I've driven on (and I drive the I-680/I-5/I-505 quite a bit). In that area just slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down.

Steve
I agree with you about wandering. I am not in a rush and have never been on the 33 so I'm inclined to take it. The 101 is OK but I have done that and also we are going to stay in Manteca the first night and the next day head over to Napa for 2 days and on to Lake Tahoe. Thanks for your information.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post

Hi Richard, My Shadow Hills is off the 118 at Sunland Blvd right by the Tujunga Wash as you are headed east to La Canada and Pasadena..We have a lot of studio people that live here. It's all horse country and the proximity to the wash makes for some great riding. I go by the Travel Village when we go out the 126 and also have friends on the east side of Santa Clarita. When you get back in the area we should try and get together.

Chuck
I will make a point to look you up when I return late next year.

Safe travels.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't use 5 anymore regardless. 99 is good in my opinion and has some interesting diversions. I would avoid 580 at all costs...makes 5 look like a world class freeway.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I don't use 5 anymore regardless. 99 is good in my opinion and has some interesting diversions. I would avoid 580 at all costs...makes 5 look like a world class freeway.
Wether I go up the 5 or 99 I would still have to take the 580 through Livermore to get to the 680 to get to Napa ?
I there another way other than the 101 ? and for sure I don't want to go up the 5 to the 12 and over to Fairfield. The 12 is all construction and the last time I was on that it was 2 lane and bumper to bumper at 30mph.

Tags
california