Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #1

Smile Camper Design

Hey everyone, Im a Design Student in college and i'm trying to design a towable camper and im looking for as much feedback as I can get to that I can make a really innovative and practical design. So basically I just would like to know what you all would like to see in a camper? If you could have any design, any features, what would they be? Im trying to keep it lightweight, but there isn't really any restrictions to what I can and cant add. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated, and I would love to share my design after im done.
eltigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #2

yes

everything to work correctly, and all the time : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #3

There are only so many ways to turn a shoebox.......and at some time or another they have been tried

My suggestion......
Do some research on previous designs going back to the 1920's and see what has worked and more importantly what has NOT worked.

No reason to reinvent past failures.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #4

Are you looking at soft sides or hard sides? Any Slides? What conveniences do you wish to include. What type of dry weight are you looking for? All things that could help with suggestions.
bixler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Space between the stove and sink to work. A bed that you can walk down both sides. A shower that can be used without becoming intimate with the walls/curtain.
Martys Own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #6

Concentrate on using EVERY available area for some type of storage no matter how small.

I agree to try and make shower roomier, but also try to figure out how to use that space for storage. My golf clubs are stored in ours when not in use...
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltigre View Post
Hey everyone, Im a Design Student in college and i'm trying to design a towable camper and im looking for as much feedback as I can get to that I can make a really innovative and practical design. So basically I just would like to know what you all would like to see in a camper? If you could have any design, any features, what would they be? Im trying to keep it lightweight, but there isn't really any restrictions to what I can and cant add. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated, and I would love to share my design after im done.
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I agree with what the others have said.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martys Own View Post
Space between the stove and sink to work. A bed that you can walk down both sides. A shower that can be used without becoming intimate with the walls/curtain.
Hi Marty! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't think I've said hello yet!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #9

Marty, you've selected a wonderful challenge, I'm wondering why you selected the topic, dose your family camp? were you exposed to camping in an rv.
My immediate thought is to gather information about creature features with practical value. As someone said we live in a shoe box with a certain cubic foot capacity. We like things that are pretty but also want function and longevity. Seems in our industry most of the mfgr's push sizzle and fluff to lure buyers. Experienced buyers ( second time buyers ) have a better handle on what they want and need. Lots of times there are trade-off's you get what you want but it comes with things really not needed. Ala-cart comes with buying direct rather than accepting what's on a dealers lot. Most sales are from dealers inventory.
Getting back to your point about 'what would you like' is based on personal prefrence,,,mfgr's offer those items that seem to be in biggest demand. Like any industry or market price govern's the accossories in a certain price range.
When you do equipment searches you'll find that there is a comonality of equipment between most rv mfgr's. Most equipment is bottom line quality.
I hope you dig in and keep us informed about your progress,,, in fact we'd like to see the papers you turn in so we can give you a 'real life' grade HAA Haa!

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:29 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
"Campers" run all the way from the little 'teardrop' trailers up to the 30-some foot towables and fifth wheels (I'm ignoring self-propelled motor homes). Any idea what size range you're considering for your project? Smaller for occasional weekend getaways or larger for extended stays?
One good thing about being a design student is that you can stretch your imagination and go beyond what is currently being done. Materials: most are fiberglass over a wooden or metal frame (except for the aluminum skinned Airstreams). How about some carbon fiber to save weight (and increase gas mileage)? Many campers have sliding areas extending from the sides to increase interior space when parked. How about an expanding roof area as well? Most have a 12 volt electrical system as well as a 120 volt system. Some have solar panels to charge the batteries and an inverter/converter (forget which is right) to run the 120 volt from the batteries. Many have an on-board generator to run the 120 volt system. So consider space for a compact generator and some rooftop solar as well.
You probably have already covered most of this in your initial research as well as a myriad of floor arrangements.
Anyway, some ideas to go by.
Don't be afraid to bounce some of your ideas off the group here - the best you'll get is comments about how that is a good idea and the worst you'll get is that you're full of...well, that idea won't work for some reason or another.
From a former student (Purdue Class of '70)
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #11

Quote:
First thing I would do is throw away all the furniture, height is important, as tall as a tractor trailer. Fold out porch, loft, kitchen space,
I think you need more parameters, how many does it need to sleep, a small desk, a comfortable chair. a small collapsible table. etc
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #12

How about above or below the TV where an actual DVR can fit. They are all made for the slim TV's, but don't hold the DVR's.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bixler2 View Post
Are you looking at soft sides or hard sides? Any Slides? What conveniences do you wish to include. What type of dry weight are you looking for? All things that could help with suggestions.
Im looking at a possible combination. I want to include water storage with clean and gray water, electricity from either solar panels or a generator, a double sized bed, cooling and heating, cooking space, as much storage as possible, etc. I would want the trailer to be able to store a lot of food at one time as it is for long trips.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
"Campers" run all the way from the little 'teardrop' trailers up to the 30-some foot towables and fifth wheels (I'm ignoring self-propelled motor homes). Any idea what size range you're considering for your project? Smaller for occasional weekend getaways or larger for extended stays?
One good thing about being a design student is that you can stretch your imagination and go beyond what is currently being done. Materials: most are fiberglass over a wooden or metal frame (except for the aluminum skinned Airstreams). How about some carbon fiber to save weight (and increase gas mileage)? Many campers have sliding areas extending from the sides to increase interior space when parked. How about an expanding roof area as well? Most have a 12 volt electrical system as well as a 120 volt system. Some have solar panels to charge the batteries and an inverter/converter (forget which is right) to run the 120 volt from the batteries. Many have an on-board generator to run the 120 volt system. So consider space for a compact generator and some rooftop solar as well.
You probably have already covered most of this in your initial research as well as a myriad of floor arrangements.
Anyway, some ideas to go by.
Don't be afraid to bounce some of your ideas off the group here - the best you'll get is comments about how that is a good idea and the worst you'll get is that you're full of...well, that idea won't work for some reason or another.
From a former student (Purdue Class of '70)
thanks for your reply, I would like to make the product as small as possible, and as light as possible so that it could be towed by any type of car.