Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #43

Common sense is a flower that does not grow in everyones garden..
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 09:34 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I need some cheese with all this whining! There are difficult people everywhere. I have had good success talking with other rv'ers in a campsite that had unruly dogs, kids running thru our campsite, disrespectful campers, etc... What happened to communication? Seems we like to complain to others instead of communicating to those who often don't know? I don't care what time you get up, go to bed, eat dinner, go to the restroom, anything! Let's enjoy this great lifestyle! We enjoy all a campground has to offer. If the CG doesn't enforce rules or is just a problem for whatever reason, we don't go back. There are many others! I do however, tell the office management why and note in reviews. I've had more conversations with folk who at first may be offended, or PO'ed at my approach but simple non confrontational communication, ended in new found friends more often! Yes, there have been a very few who have told me to "go pound sand"! Ok then, but rest assured they are bothering most all others around them as well, and they eventually get the hint. If not then, oh well...it's a big world, and we move on. Treat people how you want to be treated! Smile and make the best out of this sometimes unreasonable world!
chinobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
RE: the need for letting diesels idle constantly

It seems to be a commonly believed old wive's tale. But where did it originate? Was it a necessity for the old, old diesel trucks/tractors or what?
Here's a quote from my engine manual: "The common belief that idling a diesel engine causes no damage is wrong. Idling produces sulfuric acid, which is absorbed by the lubricating oil and eats into the bearings, rings, valve stems and engine surfaces."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryl View Post
This past July we were at a dirt track camping area, and had just stepped outside to put breakfast on the table. Some guy in a diesel pusher that was backed up to the treeline, fired up his rig, moved it forward 70 or so feet so it was now next to us, and proceeded to let it idle for the next 45 minutes. During that time, he slowly and methodically hooked up his toad, checked all of his compartment doors, and then disappeared inside for the last 15 minutes before pulling away. We ended up having to move the meal inside, rather than listen to the racket and breathe the fumes. Ignorant or oblivious, maybe a combination of both..
In 14 years of Rving I have never seen anybody idle for more than 10 minutes, but more often 5 minutes or less. Anybody who idles for 45 minutes needs his head examined. It is not only rude, it needlessly pollutes and is bad for the engine. Print this out and hand it to him next time it happens.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #47
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I guess we've just been really lucky! In 17 years of RV'ing I can't remember camping beside anyone that wasn't at least reasonably considerate.

When we pull into a new campsite and get set up, I make it a habit to introduce myself to the neighbors on each side as soon as I catch them outside their rig. I do the same thing when someone pulls into a site next to us, again, waiting until after they are through setting up. I feel that this might head off any problems later.

I always check my tires and do any airing up the afternoon before we will be leaving the next morning. Before pulling out, I only start the engine about 5 minutes before to allow the air bags to get back up to "travel" mode. If we are leaving before 8 AM, I will be especially careful not to make any loud noise outside, not even slamming the entry door or the cargo doors.

I think it all comes back to the "Golden Rule", treat others the way you want to be treated. It has worked well for me for 78 years now!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperkins52 View Post
Does anyone have a problem with people invading their site?
Solution: Human Glue Trap
Easy Peasy
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #49
laj

Campground etiquette is gone

the clouds have cleared and the sun shinning. thought they would. its easy to quietly take care of those things that truly are in your control and let others do as is their choice without getting your pinkies all twisted up.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #50

As many others who are posting on this thread, we believe that common courtesy and common sense is not as common as it once was. That applies to all aspects of life, camping, phones, driving, having 30 items in a 15 item check out line and I could go on and on.
I have learned over the years that it is my problem if I get angry or upset. Yes other people may be rude, crude, inconsiderate and obnoxious. They don't care if they offend or upset you. That's not to say that you always keep your mouth shut and let others do what ever they want without a response. It is your problem if you let others ruin your good time.
Cedarmancity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicRT View Post
RE: the need for letting diesels idle constantly

It seems to be a commonly believed old wive's tale. But where did it originate? Was it a necessity for the old, old diesel trucks/tractors or what?
Cold weather.....diesels were left running so that they stayed running due to fuel issues. Cold chuck of iron is tough to get to light off....diesel is not flammable (it is combustible) so ether was an assist to getting those old diesels to fire up. Ether can be 'volatile' VERY!

Truckers....diesels were left running so A/C Unit would continue being powered due to NO APUs (Aux Power Unit)---sleeper cabs get real hot without A/C and real cold without Heater
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Getting even just brings you down to their level!
No, not at all.
I would never get drunk at 0700 and yell, play music loud enough for the whole campground to hear, fight, and dance naked on the picnic table.
However, if "normal expected campground activities" at 0700 awaken the drunks, I would have no sympathy.

[mod edit]
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Confession time...I believe that had I spent a few nights in a "typical" east coast RV park (whatever that is) before I bought the motorhome, I would have not have bought one. I've been disappointed time and again by what I've observed and encountered in the parks. It's causing me to reevaluate how I plan to spend my retirement years, which begin in a matter of months.

Just being brutally honest here.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #54

OMG his talking about me. Yes I have a golf cart and take when I can to the fort and ocean lakes myrtle beach. Yes if you sit outside and talk loud till we hours in the night and smoke me out with your inconsiderate camp fire since I am a early riser you probably will hear my diesel while I get pack up. If you not that kind of neighbor I'll pack before starting. But that's just me.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:32 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Etiquette

Wow - a lot of 'venting' going on here. Covers a lot of areas but my pet peeve are the ones with the fancy outdoor entertainment centers. At 10 pm, I really don't want to hear the crap coming from their motorhomes and their expensive systems. - Want to blast their stereos or TV's, stay home....The folks parked next to you or a couple of sites away aren't interested in what you're listening to !!!
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:01 AM   #56

Let me try to sum it up;

The RV has Wheels, Correct?

The Driver will pick the Location?

If the Location is not to the Drivers liking then he can use the Wheels to Pick/drive/leave to the Location that works/likes/enjoys/meets his expectations.

What am I missing?

Might be me, But I've never had a Bad day in the RV/Coach - I've been doing this RV'ing thing since 1964 (53 years) - Been all over the Country - Yes I've broken down, but can't even remember when - yes I've had loud people close by, but only for one night - yes every night/day is not Perfect, but it sure has given me some Great Memories, and as soon as I get home, I start to think/dream about the next trip.

I'd like to think I've seen a good bit of the country, and I have - this RV thing, it must be something I really enjoy, as the only other thing I've done for over 50 years is Pick a good Wife.

So again it must just be me but I just can't wait to get out and See more sites, Meet more Great and Interesting people, and yes see more interesting Campgrounds. (If the one I pick is not good I'll just head down the road to Try/Find another).

Must just be Me but I sort of enjoy this RV thing.

JMHO

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground