Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #29

Charlie, I once camped in VA. and didn't know until the wee hours that it was next to Railroad tracks. A rude awakening at best. It may have been one of the places mentioned in the other posts, but I can't remember. We are from Johnstown and close to horseshoe curve.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Charlie, I once camped in VA. and didn't know until the wee hours that it was next to Railroad tracks. A rude awakening at best. It may have been one of the places mentioned in the other posts, but I can't remember. We are from Johnstown and close to horseshoe curve.
Have you ever gone to ride the Kiski Junction in Schenley www.kiskijunction.com That's the railroad I operated for 14 years. I went through Johnstown many times on my way to Windber to inspect track to the coal mine at mine 78. That is one of the mines the railroad owner also owns. I always stopped to take a few train pictures as they went by across the river. I think it was on rte 56, but not sure now.
Johnstown is a beautiful city, but I would want to live on high ground there.
We were camped at Prince Galitizen State Park the week end of the last great flood. Our youngest boy got sick and we were almost completely loaded when the sky let loose on us. We drove through that rain going home to Ohio. We went back a month later and I just couldn't imagine the damage, even in remote areas.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Denise and I honeymooned at some steam railroads back ten years ago when we got married. Knox and Cain was first, then the East Broad Top, then the Cass Scenic and finally the Tweetsy. We then continued on to Maine for the 2 footers and the lobster.

On our last trip to the east coast we camped at about 10 campgrounds along the I-90 that had tracks running close by. The best was in St Johnsville NY as the trains ran 24/7 365 and we slept very soundly; rocked to sleep by the "rhythm of the Rails" ala Arlo Guthry.

This is from our home town....
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #32

Charlie, No never rode it. My train travels have been sparse. Remember going on one as a young boy to Altoona and then again to Boot Camp in Illinois from Pittsburgh and one other time from Philly to J-town while on leave from a Naval station in NJ.
That was quite a rain storm, and I do live in the high ground and remember trying to get to work that day and couldn't until the water receded much later.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Were in Eagle Canyon Hideaway RV park in Brule Nebraska and the Train is about 1/2 Mile away. I love the Wail of the Whistle as the long Freight Tranes go by. If your ever out this way this is a great campground with the plus of memories crying out four or five times a day. There is something about a Train that brings out the little boy in me and calms the mind.

Dick
Old 09-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #34

Thanks for the video Dennis. There is some great old equipment featured there, and that locomotive is a good talker.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #35

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Try the Trail of Tears State Park in MO. I stayed there this summer. Since there is a crossing in the park & my site was less than 150' from the tracks, it gave me all the train horn sound I've ever wanted!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
A little out of your area, but...

This summer we stayed in a campground in durango, colorado where the steam train went right thru it. 4 in the morning, and 4 coming back every afternoon.

After a few days, we went on up the raod to silverton, colorado, where we camped at the other end of the line!
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu
Check KOA campgrounds I believe it is a requirement of theirs to locate near RR Tracks
LOL! I'll avoid those. Worked for a RR for 35 years. I get sick when I hear one!
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Denise and I honeymooned at some steam railroads back ten years ago when we got married. Knox and Cain was first, then the East Broad Top, then the Cass Scenic and finally the Tweetsy...
I stayed in one of the factory workers houses in Cass Scenic RXR SP, WV a few years ago. Took a ride on the train, toured the huge satellites at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory and hiked some of the Allegheny Trail. This made for a great weekend.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #39

Smile

As I sit here smiling to myself I have to agree with djbmsu. We have stayed at a lot of KOA's and usually there are train tracks nearby.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #40

Here's something that may interest you. There's a ton of CGs near the trains and a million things to see and do near Lancaster, Pa.

Strasburg Rail Road - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
A little out of your area, but...

This summer we stayed in a campground in durango, colorado where the steam train went right thru it. 4 in the morning, and 4 coming back every afternoon.

After a few days, we went on up the raod to silverton, colorado, where we camped at the other end of the line!
Jim, I used to live in Durango during the mid 70's, out in the valley (on the way to Silverton). We'd see and hear that train twice a day all summer long, it was a memory I'll never forget.
We just got back from vacation and a visit to Durango, the town has changed quite a bit, but the valley and the train has not!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Jim, I used to live in Durango during the mid 70's, out in the valley (on the way to Silverton). We'd see and hear that train twice a day all summer long, it was a memory I'll never forget.
We just got back from vacation and a visit to Durango, the town has changed quite a bit, but the valley and the train has not!
Nice going, I just drooled all over my brand new keyboard. Hope to get there in 2013.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote