Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anvil Campground in Williamsburg, VA. You can get a site that backs up to a main line. Amtrak and coal trains 24 hours a day.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #44

Charlie,
While I've never worked for a train company and am not an 'official' train nut, I have no objection to sleeping near tracks at all.

The "United CG" in Durango, Colorado has the Durango-Silverton narrow-gauge RR going right through the middle of the CG... unique!
GWinger

Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #45
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Check KOA campgrounds I believe it is a requirement of theirs to locate near RR Tracks
Or freeways....
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #46

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I grew up listening to the RF&P. Our property line on two sides was defined by the tracks and the Chickahominy River. Trains are like a lullaby. Live near Dulles Airport and never notice the planes.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #47

Seems like every CG I stay in is with hearing distance of a RR, think that's because less expensive ground as home owners wouldn't care to live there full time JMO
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slekjr View Post
Hi gang
I have a rather odd question. I am an ex railroader ...
Charlie
Charlie.. Since you are an "Ex Railroader".. I have a question.

I know that not all that long ago ther ewere RV excurision trains, these trains you drive your motor home onto a train car and they take you on a tour (Excursion).. From what I understand that's all done now.

The question is this: How come I can't drive my RV to the train yard in say.. Charlotte SC, and drive it off the train in say Pheonix, AZ.. Seems to me there would be a market for this type of transport if the price can be done well, say half the cost of 8mpg gasoline.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #49
doc

Appalachian Campers
Perhaps Charlotte, NC??? We live a couple of hours from there
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Charlie.. Since you are an "Ex Railroader".. I have a question.

I know that not all that long ago ther ewere RV excurision trains, these trains you drive your motor home onto a train car and they take you on a tour (Excursion).. From what I understand that's all done now.

The question is this: How come I can't drive my RV to the train yard in say.. Charlotte SC, and drive it off the train in say Pheonix, AZ.. Seems to me there would be a market for this type of transport if the price can be done well, say half the cost of 8mpg gasoline.
I think there was a train but I think it was in Mexico.
If you mean so you could ride in your RV also that is a great idea, and could be done except the federal regulations would not permit you to ride unless you had FRA Type II bullet resistant glazing for 1. If it could be done you could not afford to go on a class one railroad. They commonly make $5000 to move a car coast to coast. Seems a lot but keep in mind they pay property taxes on their roads and they also build and maintain them.
A short line can move freight cheaper, but they do not usually have unions to be concerned with. I'm not knocking unions, but on little short lines that only have 4 or 5 employees you have to do everything from track work to locomotive maintaining and everything in between, and they have to adhere to the exact same regulations as the big boys.
It might be possible to put together a charter and have Amtrak handle it but the RVs would have to ride alone. I just don't think the expense would justify it.
You could always buy your own private railroad passenger car. Some of them compare in price to high end motor homes, You just can't take them to any campground I know of, though you could have the car interchanged with a tourist line somewhere and perhaps make yourself at home for a small fee. At least here you could be sleeping or enjoying the scenery instead of driving.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #51

Thanks all of you for your answers. We will not be traveling anywhere this year now, my plans were changed by the eye doctor today, finally ready for cataract removal so I will be winterizing early but we will be leaving as soon as we feel we can tolerate the weather in the spring. If we run our trip in reverse from what we planned that will work out great for us.
Thanks again, I now have all these wonderful things to see and enjoy my trains at some of the stopovers. About midway will be a trip to the Heber Valley Railroad in Utah. I have a friend that I have known for 38 years that is chief mechanical officer there and one of the best steam locomotive men in the country (he is 38, known him since the day he was born).
Even if trains are not your thing watching a full blown 225 ton steam locomotive pulling a heavy train at 60 miles per hour is something you never forget. There are still a few around and if you get a chance, don't miss it, and make sure the kids in the family see it too. Just remember to stay way back from the tracks, they do drop cinders and you can see better too.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #52

Back in the 1930's my dad was a fireman on the B&O. My mom still lived with her parents whose house was accross the street from the B&O line. From time to time, as his engine went by her house, my dad would wave to my mom if she happened to be sitting on the porch. As time went by she spent more and more time on the porch. They were married and after my GP's past they bought the house and that's where I grew up ... watching the trains go by. I love trains & as I write this a train is going by about 100 yds from our rig. PB
Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #53

PB, those are the stories that are well worth sharing.
We still have all those fond memories and it is amazing how a whistle blow, the smell of coal or diesel exhaust, or an odd smell or a different sight can cause one of them to pop up from the hard drive that is our mind.
I am so fortunate that I am able to remember some very fine memories from my childhood that a lot of folks would have forgotten.
Thanks for sharing your memory with me.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #54

Charlie here's a link that may interest you.

www.auran.com/trainz
PB
Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul & Sandy View Post
Charlie here's a link that may interest you.

www.auran.com/trainz
PB
Thanks PB I bought the first Train simulator program but found that after running the big boys it wasn't quite the same and now I finally have the HO set up I have been striving for all my life. Big Blue • View topic - Charlie b's layout
I have over 125 locomotives and 600 freight cars at least as well as 100 passenger cars.
I started collecting trains in 1957 and stayed right with it. I may have the layout finished in 40 years or so.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Perhaps Charlotte, NC??? We live a couple of hours from there
Doc, we have friends in Conover, Asheville, and one in Atlanta that just quit a very successful career so she could become a Vet. and going to school there.
We are all involved with Samoyed rescue.