Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #29
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get all the trains I need at home, some of those trains T55Watson saw in Seligman, AZ come by my house. I face a double track about 200 yards away whenever I am on my computer.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #30
I am convinced that it is a KOA requirement that their camp grounds are within 100 yards of a railroad track, an airport runway and they get an extra star if there is a weather siren as well.

Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #31
We haven't stayed at a KOA yet that didn't have a train track near enough to hear a train whistle in the middle of the night
Ron Goshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #32
Fleetwood Owners Club
I definitely recommend the Midwest along Hwy 30 through Nebraska. From Cheyenne to Omaha you'll see so much different rail traffic. Of coarse then there is the Bailey Yard in North Platte a must see for sure. From North Platte to the East, UP's main line is triple track for over 100 miles, this section of track usually handles around 130 trains per day. In the area where I live you can go 30 miles to the North and see the B-N line which has quite of few coal loads going through. South of me about 10 miles there is another B-N line that Amtrak and other rail traffic uses. As far as camping areas there is quite a bit areas to camp also, may not always be right next to the tracks but close enough to do some real serious rail fanning. Here are a couple of pics I've taken in the past in my home town. UP's 844 comes through here often but usually on scheduled excursions. I caught the photo of this UP's Northwestern Heritage engine "passing through" one day. You just never know what is coming or going down the tracks around here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1202.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	88908

Name:	100_1581.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	88909
Ken in Nebraska
98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow, 35U
97 Ford F53 chassis
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #33
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Porteau Cove Provicial Park on the West Coast of BC. Beautiful campground right on the ocean.
But....the train goes by the campground edge every 2 hours all night long!
I'd never stay there again if my life depended on it...got no sleep!
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #34
Winnebago Owners Club
We went to Alaska from Fla last year (59 Nights)

I thought 50 of those nights were by a Railroad Track- and they all "Horned" at 2 AM
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #35
If you like steam Trans I recommend the Rio Chama RV Park in Chama, New Mexico (http://www.riochamarv.com/) .
The Cumbers and Toltec Scenic Railroad (http://cumbrestoltec.com/) runs next to the campground.
Jayco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #36
Winnebago Owners Club
Firebug5 and Jayco1 have two of my three favorite campsites (Durango, CO, and Chama, NM) which both happen to be adjacent to narrow gauge, live steam train tracks. But here is my third favorite:

In the Glenwood Canyon, just east of Glenwood Springs, CO, is an exit called "No Name." There is a campground just off that exit called ROCK GARDENS. You can actually camp there, a few feet from the Colorado River, right in Glenwood Canyon, if you have a smaller RV. Larger RVs camp one tier up from the River.

The train? Every two (2) hours there is an electromotive freight train that screeches and rumbles through the magnificent depths of the Canyon on this main east-west line through Colorado. You can hear it for miles and miles as it reverbates and thunders through the 14-mile Canyon. The Canyon walls echo as if the train is right in your campsite!

It's quite impressive. The tracks pass the campground on the south side of the Canyon, while you are camping on the north side. You are only the width of the Colorado River away from the train. With the right amount of wine in your goblet, you will see ripples from the vibration on the rails. The only things between you and the trains are rafts and kayaks navigating the River westward.

Beware: The trains pass during the night, too.

Bonus: Twice a day the California Zephyr Amtrak glides so sleekly and silently along those same tracks. It is just plain cool to sit in your campsite and watch (and hear) those trains slink past.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trainc.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	88992  
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #37
The Texas state railroad in Rusk Texas has a 70 site RV campground, Railroad Museum, and daily trips on the Texas line,with a genuine steam engine. One way or round trips between Rusk & Palestine 4 hr Round trip.
2000 DSDP, 3894,Freightliner,330 Cat, 07 Jeep Commander 4x4toad.
ARTWERKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Fredandfred View Post
Ok, here goes. I love camping and I love watching trains. Anyone know of a cg that is next to good mainline? I know most would want away from that but I am seeking spot.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Jeff and Kathy

2015 Grand Design Solitude 379FL

Boy, you're WEIRD! No, no, just kidding!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #39
Ford Super Duty Owner

Illinois Railway Museum

Watched an informative video on MPT about the Illinois Railway Museum. It is huge and is the "Largest RR Museum in the USA. April 5th is Opening day. There are a number of trains you can ride, also if you are a Trolley Fan, they have rides on those as well. They have video cams you can watch also.
If anyone has been there would love to hear how your visit went. Thanks...

PS: Yes I'm Wierd I Love To Camp Next To Active RR Lines
DW says "I'm A Toy Short Of A Happy Meal".
Bilgerat: Chuck, Kassie, Freddie, Lady, Prince, Smokey, Merlin
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36', V-10, Banks, Onan 5500, Blue Ox, 2014 Forester, SKP 130599, FT'ing 2+Yrs.
Bilgerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #40
Looks like I have a lot of sites to visit.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Jeff and Kathy

2015 Grand Design Solitude 379FL
Fredandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #41
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Topeekeegee Yugnee (T.Y.) Park (Broward County Park)
3300 N Park Rd
Hollywood FL 33021
(954) 985-1980

Great park that sit right next to the tracks (Seaboard RR I believe). AmTrak trains going by all the time.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote