Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't been around here for a while because I've been in the hospital. Last Oct. my wife and I were on a short fall colour trip and while we were out exploring the Ohio Amish country on our motorcycle we were involved in an accident and my beautiful wife and best friend was killed. We bought our Winnebago 38J two years ago in anticipation of Leslie's retirement last January and we were able to be snow birds last winter for the first time. We were also able to travel to Colorado this past summer for some Rocky Mountain bike riding. We have camped for almost all of our 35 years together but never enjoyed it more than we did the last 10 months before she died.
I want to try camping by myself but I don't know how that will be. I have met one fellow who full times by himself after losing his wife several years ago. I don't want to go full time but I am hoping I'll be able to continue seeing all the things and places we had planned too.
Any advise from others who camp single would be welcome.

Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I haven't been around here for a while because I've been in the hospital. Last Oct. my wife and I were on a short fall colour trip and while we were out exploring the Ohio Amish country on our motorcycle we were involved in an accident and my beautiful wife and best friend was killed. We bought our Winnebago 38J two years ago in anticipation of Leslie's retirement last January and we were able to be snow birds last winter for the first time. We were also able to travel to Colorado this past summer for some Rocky Mountain bike riding. We have camped for almost all of our 35 years together but never enjoyed it more than we did the last 10 months before she died.
I want to try camping by myself but I don't know how that will be. I have met one fellow who full times by himself after losing his wife several years ago. I don't want to go full time but I am hoping I'll be able to continue seeing all the things and places we had planned too.
Any advise from others who camp single would be welcome.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #3
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey Gary N, first off I am sorry to hear about the passing of your wife, and best friend! However this is my first winter down South and my wife was not ready to pick up and go yet! So I set out alone on Jan 2. However do to all the nice Rvers out there, plus all the NorEasters I have spent time with, I have never felt alone or by myself. I think one thing to do is stay at a location for at least a month, this way you get to know folks. I have been welcomed with open arms and felt like I belonged where ever I stayed ! Hope this helps some, and again sorry for your lose!!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Gary: So sorry to hear about your terrible experience and the loss of Leslie. My wife and I extend our condolensces. Now..we still (fortunately) travel fulltime together so we don't have personal experience soloing it, but we sure do meet quite a few (guys & gals) who have lost their partners and have continued on the road. We've visited around campfires and in the evenings with such folks from Florida to Alaska, and most, if not all of them, seem quite content and happy to be roaming the road. Hope some other solo RV'rs post some helpful insight and suggestions for you, and we sure hope we run into YOU around some evening campfire. Steve & Lynette
Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #5

Gary, So very sorry about your loss! I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. As for advice, it sounds like you have been given some good ideas here.
Do you have a friend or family member that could go with you on your first trip? That could make the transition a bit easier. Best of luck to you!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, our condolences as well. We are fellow motorcyclists, and it is so tragic that you lost your wife. Thank God that you knew to enjoy your time together, though. I personally think it will be a good and healing experience for you to carry on with traveling. I trust you will meet folks along the way that will make your journeys beautiful and worthwhile. It will also give you time to reflect and at some point, plan new memories yet to be made. I wish you all the best, and please keep us up to date on your travels!

Brenda, of...
Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Gary,
I am very sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Like previous posts, while married, I sometimes travel alone. Loners' On Wheels is a club you might consider investigating. Go here to visit their web site. Other than seeing their advertisments and web site I no nothing about them other than they have existed for several decades.

The best of luck to you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Hi Gary,

Sorry to hear of your loss. After my divorce, I did a lot of camping alone and with my young son as well as with friends. It was very refreshing for me to get away from everything and get back to nature to relax and recharge. Now that I am remarried, I still do some camping on my own as well as the whole family. You will find in most campgrounds you really are not alone. Most people who are drawn to the RV lifestyle are friendly and outgoing and always ready to talk to new people. Just go out and try it and see how you like it.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Gary, sorry for your loss.

I've been a single fulltimer for almost a year and a half, and I have found it's better than living alone in a fixed dwelling.

I meet many more people, see many more places, and I'm doing something I enjoy.

Go for it and give it a try.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #10

Gary...just by posting here you have begun the healing process. Please know you are amoung friends. I think others here will agree, go ahead and take those trips you had planned with Leslie! This is a beautiful country. She would have wanted you to continue on and enjoy with her as a silent partner. Via con Dios my friend.

2007 Fleetwood Southwind 32V w/Ford V10
Bludog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #11

Gary, Please accept my condolences aswell. May all your good memories together never be far away....Brad.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Gary,

Please accept the condolences of a fellow motorcyclist on your tragic loss of Leslie. Sandy and I have had this discussion a number of times, and each of us have encouraged the other to continue to RV as it's something we both enjoy. Whatever route you may take in the future, we wish you nothing but the best.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all for your kind words of encouragement. I am going to try it alone and see what happens. I have bought another bike and plan on attending some Venture Rider club events this summer. Hopefully by next winter I'll be able to be a snow bird or winter Texan again too.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary,
My deepest condolence on the loss of your wife.
We belong to the Gateway Winnies, the St. Louis metro area Winnebago Itasca Travellers club. Our chapter has two women and three men who have lost their spouses in the last several years and have been active to some degree in our chapter campouts. A couple of them also head for Texas just after Thanksgiving and report having a terrific time. The advice to stay at a place long enough to get acquainted seems to work for them. Again, regret your loss and hope you continue to enjoy your RV.

j griff is offline   Reply With Quote