Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2018, 11:03 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miklas View Post
CW preys on the folks that don't know. Evidently, there are many that flock to the CW "brand"

I thought of myself fairly savvy. Yet I got stung on the financing by CW in 2010. 8 years later, I still kick tires at CW, but I'm much better now knowing the model I want to buy, and the price I want to pay for it. When I tell the salesman that I will pay-in-full with cash, they don't know what to do so they call the manager to work me over insisting that I need to finance. When I steadfast on paying cash, they drop me like a hot potato. I am convinced that there is something that they hide in the finance paperwork. I just haven't figured it out yet.

CW smelled the newbies coming in the door. It's like this... How do pickpockets know tourists in NYC? Tourists are always looking up at the tops of the buildings. What are some ways that CW knows a newbie?

CW knows they are newbie's because they came into Camping World asking about buying an RV!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 11:08 PM   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post

CW knows they are newbie's because they came into Camping World asking about buying an RV!
Right!
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:50 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post

You win the internet!!

BTW; I heard CW caused the the Hindenburg to burn and is holding Elvis hostage in a secret chamber.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #144

Well from what I can tell my SIL was the one that researched the Montana at CW. A couple of years back they asked to see my rig at another family outing. They walked in, through and out in about one minute, no questions. Couple of weeks later I asked SIL if they were looking into RV's. She said just for something to do during the winter months around WNY, when no doubt they were already building a "buy" plan.

I think she bought the "Montana" because of her research based on the amenities, look and feel, but did little or no research on pricing and dealership. This I base on her reply on another occasion on what she thought of my Georgetown MH and she replied "OK, but have you seen the Newmar's!"
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:11 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Well from what I can tell my SIL was the one that researched the Montana at CW. A couple of years back they asked to see my rig at another family outing. They walked in, through and out in about one minute, no questions. Couple of weeks later I asked SIL if they were looking into RV's. She said just for something to do during the winter months around WNY, when no doubt they were already building a "buy" plan.

I think she bought the "Montana" because of her research based on the amenities, look and feel, but did little or no research on pricing and dealership. This I base on her reply on another occasion on what she thought of my Georgetown MH and she replied "OK, but have you seen the Newmar's!"

I have no idea what you said.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #146

Quote:
I think she bought the "Montana" because of her research based on the amenities, look and feel, but did little or no research on pricing and dealership.
This I base on her reply on another occasion on what she thought of my Georgetown MH and she replied "OK, but have you seen the Newmar's!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasOil View Post
I have no idea what you said.
Not a problem.
The on topic issue that needs to be addressed at this point is:

> Is Camping World 'deplorable' for their predatory sales practices?
> Or is CW merely a clearing house for fools buying an RV?

And one must also consider that a lot of the people that have been abused by the CW sales team aren't necessarily upset about it.

As an example:
When I'm at a full-service campground parked amongst the big fivers and luxury travel trailers, my tiny short-bed truck camper draws quite a bit of attention.
People are understandably curious how my wife and I actually 'camp' in that little cracker-box.

In conversation the question eventually comes up; "hey Jake, what's a little rig like that worth?"

When I tell them that I have no idea what its 'worth' but it 'cost' me $114,000 you can see the smile drop from their face. Assuming that I'm either a complete fool or possibly insane, they usually back away.
And no, I didnt purchase my equipment at Campers World.

Keeping the thread moving,
-Jake-
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #147

Here we go. . .

When to Walk Away From an RV Salesman

And...

Confessions of an RV Salesman

See you at the CW showroom!
Old 11-28-2018, 05:47 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
You win the internet!!

BTW; I heard CW caused the the Hindenburg to burn and is holding Elvis hostage in a secret chamber.
Rick, don't be silly, we all know that Elvis is working on a road crew in Minnesota!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #149

Lucas, what I said is basically my SIL has so much darn money she didn't care about costs or dealer reputation. She was looking for status. Her research told her the Montana was the most stylish, good looking, name plate available in the size her and my BIL were looking for in the Buffalo, NY area. Or, "look what we bought"!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Lucas, what I said is basically my SIL has so much darn money she didn't care about costs or dealer reputation. She was looking for status. .... "look what we bought"!
A fool and his money are soon parted

“The wise have wealth and luxury, but fools spend whatever they get.”
**Proverbs‬ *21:20‬ *NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/pro.21.20.nlt
Old 11-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miklas View Post
A fool and his money are soon parted

“The wise have wealth and luxury, but fools spend whatever they get.”
**Proverbs‬ *21:20‬ *NLT‬‬
http://bible.com/116/pro.21.20.nlt
True Sir,
But in a big new Montana they are very comfortable fools.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #152

Winnebago Owners Club
Let's be honest, we can only know what we know when we know it.

We can think we're knowledgeable and prepared for something and then find out later - after the fact - that we really only had a surface level of understanding of the nuances involved. And then we know that this lack of knowledge could really only be gained by actual real world experience.

So, yeah, a bunch of us old geezers, with tons of experience, have learned a great deal. In fact, we've learned enough to point at those in the process of learning the nuances via a bad experience.

I still believe buyers have a duty to be better informed. But I recognize my first RV buying experience was all about learning. Maybe all of them have been.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

So, yeah, a bunch of us old geezers, with tons of experience, have learned a great deal.
In fact, we've learned enough to point at those in the process of learning the nuances via a bad experience.
As a rookie and part-timer, I learned early in the game that those "old geezers" can be found at most upscale campgrounds and they like to talk.
A few well placed RV questions on my part has led me on detailed guided tours of their equipment and all the mods they have done to make things better.

Great info that could never be found at a CW showroom.
-Jake-
Old 11-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

We can think we're knowledgeable and prepared for something and then find out later - after the fact - that we really only had a surface level of understanding of the nuances involved. And then we know that this lack of knowledge could really only be gained by actual real world experience.

So, yeah, a bunch of us old geezers, with tons of experience, have learned a great deal. In fact, we've learned enough to point at those in the process of learning the nuances via a bad experience.

I still believe buyers have a duty to be better informed. But I recognize my first RV buying experience was all about learning. Maybe all of them have been.
This is all true!!!!!
All of my RV owner experience has been LEARNING experiences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrojake View Post
As a rookie and part-timer, I learned early in the game that those "old geezers" can be found at most upscale campgrounds and they like to talk.
A few well placed RV questions on my part has led me on detailed guided tours of their equipment and all the mods they have done to make things better.

Great info that could never be found at a CW showroom.
-Jake-
Excellent point!! Funny, yet excellent!!!

Tags
camping, camping world