Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #43

Couple items here...

1.) I'm a rookie at this RV stuff too but with some research on the internet (on forums like iRV2 ) I soon learned of the absolute horror stories on buying and owning an RV, namely a Travel Trailer.
Once I understood the rules of the game I was in a much better position to go RV shopping.

2.) Early in my RV shopping adventures my DW introduced me to an older experienced Class-C owner that she knew from work. We went to a local RV show and (concentrating on TT's in particular) he showed me around and explained to me the reality (dark side?) of TT manufacturing & sales. From the sketchy build quality to common RV sales tactics, to warranty repairs...

Yikes! What an industry & snake-pit.
I can see where a first-time shopper could get hurt, just like in the OP's video.
Electrojake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
I have owned several...
1999 Coleman pop up
2000 Trail Lite 7253
2000 Georgie Boy Pursuit 33’
1981 Jayco Popup
2002 Apache 27’
2009 Palomino Stampeee 195SD

I may never buy another commercially manufactured RV. My next will most likely be a bus conversion for the high quality of the chassis, and peace of kind in the build of the living space.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawto5 View Post
OMG...If I hear a payoff figure of $6,000 more than expected or even $1,000 more, I know what I will need to do. It's a matter of principle with us...If my suspicions are unfounded fears, I will report back to this thread and apologize to CW.
What did you find out?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I'm also not a fan of Camping World RV sales or maintenance but they are very successful and continue to purchase privately owned dealerships around the country.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #47

Heartland RV Club
with my own eyes

I have not watched the video so if it is a "hit piece", it hasn't hit me. I have had one bad experience after another at CW. Prices are higher, customer service is rude if it even exists and rig maintenance is deceitful.
I decided years ago, right after we went full-time that I would never buy anything there, especially not a RV.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
We’ve been rving several years always buying many needed things at CW. Not sure how long ago(maybe 6-7 years) we noticed that something had changed. We sold our class a , after a year without , we started to shop for a class c . It did not take long to realize we would not be buying from CW. It’s sad to think how it was a totally different store!! The Good Sam club is included ! Oh! Well! things change with time!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #49

Yep CW got me too

CW told me the Motorhome I was buying was worth $137,000 but I could have it for $103,000 if I would pay another $3,000 down. Then a bunch of fees were added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
That live feed video is no longer available because it was a “live” feed.

Here is the video produced by Kevin Frazier, owner of Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott, Iowa. He was the guest on the live feed broadcast. The video is entitled “The Truth About Camping World” and is very well done.

Have any of you experienced the kind of treatment discussed in this video? I don’t have a dog in this fight because I have never purchased anything from CW. But the unethical and perhaps even illegal activities put forth in this video are stunning! It has aroused my curiosity.
SERGEANTROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
CW Technicians

In 2000 I took delivery of a brand new Trail Lite 7253 Travel Trailer. The manufacturer did not offer an outdoor shower on this model. Reason was unknown. So on the first trip out of PA with my new trailer, I went to the CW in Kissimmee Florida to have an outdoor shower installed.

I measured, took pictures, made an appointment first in the morning. Arrived on time overnight, was standing at the service door when they opened. Spoke with the service manager, told him exactly where I wanted it installed...left hand side of the trailer, with all plumbing inside the bathroom vanity.

After pulling my trailer in the service bay, a technician came out and refused to install per my instructions in the location that I wanted it. Instead, he said that he would install it in the back wall, under the bed (low to the bumper).

So wanting the outdoor shower installed, I caved in and agreed to the backwall.

After camping in some state parks with sloped sites, I discovered that the outdoor shower was too low to the ground, and virtually unusable in most situations. So I began planning how I was going to put it in the originally desired location MYSELF!!!

I am one who does a lot of research, and I measure 10 times before I cut the 1st time. I decided that to be absolutely sure that the install was water proof, that I would use 3M 5200 waterproof marine adhesive. I also bought a special tool to crimp PEX rings in tight spots (as the vanity would be extremely close quarters. I also bought a storage hatch door to install where CW installed the outdoor shower in the rear wall under the bed.

The job took me only 3 hours total to remove, cut, frame, reinstall, plumb, the outdoor shower AND cut, frame, and install the new hatch door.

Why on earth would Camping World argue with a customer? They must know that the customer will remember their negative attitudes, or else their lack of trying to satisfy the customer. At any rate, I have no personal use for Camping World service, store, or RV sales.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by SERGEANTROCK View Post
CW told me the Motorhome I was buying was worth $137,000 but I could have it for $103,000 if I would pay another $3,000 down. Then a bunch of fees were added.
So you financed $103k, put down $3k cash... now you're back up to $106k... how much in extra fees?
Old 08-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miklas View Post
What did you find out?
George, I think he answered your question in post # 37.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #53

I shop at camping world or supplies only. Prices seem fair and they are 1 mile away. I bought the club membership so I could use the dump anytime. Hopefully it saves me time when state parks have a line when people check out.

I won’t buy an rv from them. Salesmen turned me off due to pressure when I told him I wasn’t ready right now just doing research.

A year before that experience I told the salesman I’m just starting to look probably not buying today it’s my first day these are our needs what floor plans do you recommend. I got a finger to look at the campers inside showroom and the side door to lot. He said let me know when your ready to buy.

I’ve been in sales all my life and no way would I treat anyone that way.

My friend that helped me look over the motor home I bought told me he helped a girl with a TT at camping world. The unit had been at another dealer and they left a previous price inside the unit that was lower than the present price. They charged her the higher price on the unit and wouldn’t budge.

The video is dead on and a big help for people buying first rv. I don’t think it’s a hit piece and this guy is a small time dealer that’s being honest. I’m glad he did it.

Here is a link to his interview from this week.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRVShowUS...2735172017577/
Old 08-09-2018, 05:13 PM   #54

I too avoid them and their club.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkarens View Post
I have had one bad experience after another at CW. Prices are higher, customer service is rude if it even exists and rig maintenance is deceitful.
I've never had any rig maintenance done at CW nor have I ever bought an RV there (and I wouldn't), but I have bought RV supplies and have found their prices competitive with most other RV supply places...

AND... one thing that surprised me when I went to replace by tow bars for my MoHo was CW will match the lower price of that item from another supplier. In my case, I found the tow bars on Amazon for almost $80 cheaper than CW. I showed the page to the checkout gal and they honored that price!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #56

To get a true sense about Camping World’s business model subscribe to the free weekly newsletter from. RVtravel.com.
This site will educate you about everything “RV”.
Read it for a few weeks....a real eye opener !!!

They do not bow to the RV industry...get the real facts.

They are the only honest advocate for the RV consumer !
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world