RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
If people are willing to pay that price, and not compare prices, what is wrong with charging that much?
Well... the fact that their corporate greed has been exposed.

George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 08:42 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
In 2008 the CW price for a new Coachmen 2130QB was $53,999 + Tax, Title, Freight and prep.
Same model RV from local independent dealer was $49,999 out the door.

Guess where i bought the RV.
Excellent!
It is a virtual money printing press!

Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I don't see it that way at all. Knowing nothing about buying a unit it really educated me that I have to pay strict attention. If I were in that neighborhood I would certainly give that guy a try and look it over to see if he's living up to his efforts. On the other hand, he's done a very real service to the 'average' person that is not aware of any of this.

I used to own an automotive shop. I loved making money but there was one thing I loved more. Going to bed at night knowing that I had done someone a real service. I used to give my good customers free headlights (and installation) just out of gratitude. They loved it and I had customers for life. I also backed all my work with a 100% satisfaction guarantee - if you're not happy, bring it back. If it's my fault, it's covered. Period.

I also exposed a lot of the BS out there. I had one guy come in (a new customer) and he wanted to buy a used car. I told him to come in for a pre-purchase inspection. I told him that if there was anything minor wrong he could use the information to get a lower price. If there was something major, he could pass on it and know that he saved a lot of money and headache. As it turned out, the car was clean. It had 125,000 km's on it and there was some minor, but average play in the steering linkage. I told him it was acceptable and not to worry about it as it was not a new car and he wasn't paying for a new front end.

Unfortunately, it was done on a Friday and it needed an alignment. I did not have time to send it down to the alignment shop so he wanted to bring it in. I specifically told him that alignment shops make all their money by selling work and it would be better if I brought it in on Monday. He did not want to wait.

So what did he do? He took it in on a Saturday and they phoned him up and told him he needed +$1,000 in front end repairs. So what did he do? He cancelled my $150 inspection fee cheque. When I found out I called him up and he explained that I had not done my job properly! I asked him to bring it in and this is what we found....

They had told him one tie rod end was worn and that the other was good. I put it on the hoist, brought him to look at it, squeezed both tie rod ends with a pair of pliers and asked him which one had more wear. He could not say, they both had the same amount of minor play. So why did the alignment shop not say he needed two of them....He then said why is the steering wheel off a bit? I told him, and had written it down on the inspection, that the box had a minor amount of play in it. It is not a new car, it will have some wear. The question is, what is excessive wear? That is what I am paid to determine.

So I put the car down, loosed off the lock nut on the steering box and tightened it up a tad. Play gone. I took it for a test drive and all was well. So here he is, all red-faced because he realizes he shafted the wrong guy. He pays me out in cash, I remind him that I told him how alignment shops make their money and that I wanted to bring it in for him (at no extra cost) because they will not try and shaft a mechanic from a shop. We know better and they won't do that to someone that can refute their BS attempts to make money on needless repairs.....

Bottom line, the customer got a great car for a cheap price with normal wear. The problem is, the customer was so ashamed of what he had done that he never came back despite the fact that I spent a lot of time letting him know it was OK - I've seen this story before. So I lost a customer by giving him exactly what he needed.

I'm up in Canada. One summer a guy comes in with a beautiful Cadillac. His address is 90210. I didn't know what that meant but I looked after him well and he was very happy. For me, this was normal. As it turns out, he had a summer place up here and came up every summer. So one day he calls me up from California and tells me his Cadillac doesn't always start. He says it's intermittent. I told him, next time he tries to start it and it does that hit the starter with a hammer. So he does, and it starts. What does he do? He liked me so much he drove that Cadillac all the way up from Beverly Hills, with a hammer in hand, and whenever it would not start, he got his wife to hold the key on while he hit it with the hammer

Why did he do that? Because he wanted me to do the work and get the reward for it. He appreciated what I had done for him before. The guy could clearly pay anyone to do it at any time. I had already diagnosed it over the phone. He chose me and asked me to order him up a starter for when he got here.

That's real service. I used to give it all the time. And I made good money doing it. Not the same amount of money that a rip-off shop would make, but I wanted to go to bed at night with that warm feeling that I had done my customers a solid.

One more story. I had a little old lady (and lots of them) with an old but mint car. She always took it to me and I always looked after her. Probably billed her a total of maybe $1,000 over 5 years. One day she comes to me in tears. I don't know what's wrong but I will fix it. I'm not going to have one of my clients in tears. She walks up to me, hugs me, kisses me and tells me she bought a new car. I didn't clue in right away, why was this a bad thing? And then she says to me - it has warranty - and as such she won't be coming to me anymore. That's why she was so sad.

I recognize that the guy that made this video took a real risk making it. He also educated me. And I recognize a guy that wants to be able to sleep at night knowing he made the world a better place in the process. Personally, I give him great credit for it.

With a well run shop, there is enough money in the trade to do well. Honestly. With integrity. I have also seen a lot of shops that are after nothing but money and could care less. Now that I'm retired I brought a car into a shop that I used to sub-let a lot of work to back in the day. The owner I dealt with was gone but his son told me, "I can't remove that tire because it's worn and it's illegal. By law, I cannot do it". That tire was just fine with just a trace worn off on the inside. There is no law (here) backing up his story. Its nothing more then a way to scare people into buying tires. That's it. Anyway, like Forrest Gump, that's all I have to say about that.
You are a gem. A real gentleman.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:09 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Bob, You are exactly right. My career was with one of the Big 3 automakers. I called on dealers for nearly 25 years and always preached to Service Managers Service Advisors and Dealers that there is plenty of money to be made just by selling work that is actually needed. We don't need to oversell. Sell whats needed and you'll make a very good living at it. Your story is proof.
jt
Thank you so much, generally no-one actually reads my long posts about such things. I learned a long time ago, do it once, do it right, respect the customer...and then make up for the lack of gouging by.....VOLUME !!!

When you truly over-deliver and your customers love you they tell everyone. From that moment on, you can choose which ones you want as your customer. Literally, the shoe is on the other foot. What I did was to give all new customers the chance to prove themselves to me to be honest and respectful. I gave them the grace needed because they may have been burned. But if they were trouble, and I could not change it, I let them go. Think about that. I had enough business that I could pick and choose. This brings me to the volume aspect. Maintaining quality with volume is another story but suffice to say, many of my customers would book in for an oil change....and then tell me to call them only if it's more then $1000......

I love my customers, they loved me, and the odd time that I did make a mistake, and they came in for warranty, they always had a smile on their face as they awaited my inspection/decision. They knew I would honor it, and they found it amusing and went out of their way to make it easy for me to honor it. I tell you God's honest truth - for every warranty claim that I (rightly) honored, I became a MUCH better mechanic/diagnostician and I'll tell you something else, for every warranty claim I cheerfully honored I got back 10x the amount of customers. I can clearly remember how many customers were ecstatic when I honored my warranty. They could not believe it. It got to the point where my warranty claims were reduced to negligible but I loved every one I got after that because it was an opportunity to prove that my word was my bond. And they ate it up. And let's be clear, that's only fair.

When it was an odd diagnostic issue, like driveability, I would tell them, I'm 75% sure it's this but it might not be and the risk is on you. Non black and white things I could not warranty but the vast majority I could. But here's the thing, they trusted me and my judgement. Ad if I could, I would make it easier on them if my diagnosis was not correct.

But I really did give out freebies. Headlights and the like. What did it cost me? At that time, probably $7 = $10 for the headlight and 5 minutes for the install. Generally, only long-term lifers got that but I did pay a few back to new clients (usually woman) who were distraught or having a hard day. It really does pay to pay it back - if you do it for the right reasons. One guy came in, I quickly helped him out, one month later he booked in for $3,000 of work. He told me my price was in line and it was because I helped him out. There you go. As you said, enough money in it to do it with integrity.

I also had one or two customers rip me off, but that was on them and their reward was that they could never come back. That was harsh enough, to be honest.

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 PM   #75

CW is the worst

We purchased our new 2013 Itasca Ellipse from CW in North Carolina. It was the absolute worst experience of my RV life. They lie, they cheat, they use every tactic in the book to deceive the buyer. They did no prep, and everything I pointed out to them they blamed on Winnebago. They had the coach for two weeks after we purchased it, and brought it back with four pages of issues, and they fixed exactly two things on my list, and said they didn't have time to complete the list. This was after I scheduled the repair weeks ahead of time. At one point my wife had to drag me out of there, because the threatened to call the police because I was so irate. I hope the whole company crashes and goes down in flames. I will not give them one more cent of my money. Several of our camping friends have had similar terrible experiences with CW all over the east coast. I frankly don't know how they can still be in business.
Everyone should be forewarned. Shop anywhere else.
Ken Werner
werkendoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:22 AM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have never purchased an RV from Camping World but I did purchase a locking TV mount from them but only because I couldn't find it anywhere else at the time. Everything else I have shopped for I purchased from other places because the price was always too high at Camping World often times more than 30% + higher and the funny thing is, they always claim it's a big sale price. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they rip off RV buyers. I've heard many horror stories about poor service there and have been told by more than 5 people to never take my RV there for service. I would still go there to look at stuff and maybe sleep in their parking lot on a long road trip.

As far as this video goes, he is a competitor and is clearly going after Camping World's Customers on price..so I think it's just a commercial for his business. Can he beat Camping World on price? Most likely, yes!
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #77

I'm not usually a Camping World fan but when they have a sale, it's usually a good one. I recently bought a power steps control module from Camping World for $128, every other place I could find was something like $156-$200 for the exact same piece. In south Texas a number of years ago we had to replace our complete awning after a storm, Camping World beat the the prices of the other RV dealers by a lot. Sometime it's just research and timing.
ZZCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #78

Camp World Horror

Four months prior, I had replaced the slide toppers & awning on my Winnie Chieftain myself & it worked out great. Then, while parked at a racetrack, a guy driving his motor home turned wide & damaged the awning. His insurance company sent me to Camping World for the covered replacement awning. I picked up my rv a few days later & the awning didn't open properly. Another visit to CW for a few more days. About 2 weeks later, with the rv sitting on my driveway, I saw brown streaks straight down from the upper awning bracket (water leak). I brought it back to CW. They claimed they fixed the leak. About a month later, more streaks & now the sidewall is bowed out due to the water infiltration. Being an older rv, I fixed the leak myself. Of course now my rv has essentially no resale value. Thanks Camping World!
we_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Loss leaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZCop View Post
I'm not usually a Camping World fan but when they have a sale, it's usually a good one. I recently bought a power steps control module from Camping World for $128, every other place I could find was something like $156-$200 for the exact same piece. In south Texas a number of years ago we had to replace our complete awning after a storm, Camping World beat the the prices of the other RV dealers by a lot. Sometime it's just research and timing.
One retail strategy is offering “loss leaders”. For those not familiar with the terminology, this is where a retailer sells an item for less money than their cost for the item. The purpose in offering loss leaders is to (1.) draw customers into their store (2.) draw customers away from other stores, (3.) put other retailers out of business.

No matter how you slice it..... giving any amount of sales to a business who is seeking to devour smaller businesses is just feeding the lions!

Sadly, we all price Shop and spend our money where it gets the best traction. It is the American way of keeping up with the Jones’s.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:37 AM   #80

I suspect a majority of MH techs now work for Camping World. Each CW has the possibility of doing good or bad work. I'm not going to throw them all into the same basket.
As far as the prices at the store. If I choose to pay more than Amazon prices for one reason or another it's my choice.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #81

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another point about sales folks at the dealerships...they remind me of the shysters that hang out at car dealerships and pounce once you set one foot on their lot.

Polyester pants and shirts, shiny shoes and extreme arrogance. I have yet had an opportunity to deal with a sales associate that wasn't in the game for greed.
Their sales contest board in the office bears this out....quotas written right up there where you can see them, who is the sales leader of the week, etc. Like barkers at a carny.

They don't care about us or our needs. All they talk about is monthly payments.

We paid cash for our current trailer. What an arm twisting event this was! Not from CW, but an independent ORV dealer. They want the financing money to crank up the profit. Kickbacks abound. They even offered to finance with no payments due for 6 months to sweeten the deal. They said, look you can pay it off next month and get out of the contract that way. What does this tell you?

I just set my mind up to do battle when I have to go buy a big ticket item. I expect arrogance and BS. Put on your suit of armour!

Rant over.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miklas View Post
Well... the fact that their corporate greed has been exposed.

Where is the line between maximizing profits and greed, or dont you believe that businesses should maximize profits?
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #83

It seems to me reading this and other forums, that Camping World is starting to use the name of dealers that they buy out. Going back to the names of bought out dealers from years prior. The CW just outside of Rochester, NY, Churchville, went back to Meyers RV which was the company name before CW. I believe there are one or two more CW/Meyers RV that have been re-branded back to Meyers. This is a very common business practice for large corporate entities that have bad reputations. Use the local name and company figure head while imposing the corporate structure of how the business will be run and the profit expected from each satellite unit.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #84

Another Camping world to avoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
That live feed video is no longer available because it was a “live” feed.

Here is the video produced by Kevin Frazier, owner of Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott, Iowa. He was the guest on the live feed broadcast. The video is entitled “The Truth About Camping World” and is very well done.

Have any of you experienced the kind of treatment discussed in this video? I don’t have a dog in this fight because I have never purchased anything from CW. But the unethical and perhaps even illegal activities put forth in this video are stunning! It has aroused my curiosity.
Great video..
Our local CW here in Meridian Idaho has used similar tactics. “Keep away from them..”

notewriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world