Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camping World Exposed

I just came across this live video show, and one of the topics is all the ways that camping world makes money.

A lot of what they had to say confirms what many posts here have stated.

redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The video is no longer available, I guess Marcus didn't like what it said.

I've seen too many bad stories and personal dealings with CW, I'd never suggest anyone go there for service.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #3

I’m not a big fan of camping world, but come on, anybody can make a video..where are the complaints to states AGs. This just smells conjured.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #4

I am stupid I guess I bought a meridian from a local camping world after sale treatment caused me to swear that location off. 2 years latter we wanted a 42qd (no way I would buy from the local camping world) we found the perfect 42qd at a camping world dealership 4 hours from us . The dealership was much larger with service bays galore.....after the sale same service.....my bad 2x but never again.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #5

Camping World Exposed

That live feed video is no longer available because it was a “live” feed.

Here is the video produced by Kevin Frazier, owner of Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott, Iowa. He was the guest on the live feed broadcast. The video is entitled “The Truth About Camping World” and is very well done.

Have any of you experienced the kind of treatment discussed in this video? I don’t have a dog in this fight because I have never purchased anything from CW. But the unethical and perhaps even illegal activities put forth in this video are stunning! It has aroused my curiosity.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
That live feed video is no longer available because it was a “live” feed.

Here is the video produced by Kevin Frazier, owner of Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott, Iowa. He was the guest on the live feed broadcast. The video is entitled “The Truth About Camping World” and is very well done.
Here's the same video hosted on Vimeo
https://vimeo.com/249621574

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Have any of you experienced the kind of treatment discussed in this video? I don’t have a dog in this fight because I have never purchased anything from CW. But the unethical and perhaps even illegal activities put forth in this video are stunning! It has aroused my curiosity.
I purchased my last Travel Trailer at Sirpilla RV / Camping World in Akron Ohio in 2010. Yes, a lot of what I saw in the video is how my wife and I were treated. Case in point... the treatment is nothing new. As time goes on, they only get better at it.

After watching the video, I recently went shopping at two different Camping World locations in Virginia. When I asked for a "cash price out the door," the salesman could only tell me was "$139 per month." I repeated that I want the "cash price out the door" and the salesman told me that he wasn't authorized to make cash deals, that I had to speak with the sales manager. The SM overheard the interaction, and disappeared.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:03 AM   #7

I found the video to be a tick bland for your typical Infomercial. If the white background was to be meant that the customer found heaven or was cleansed after talking with the other dealer it didn't really work for me. I would have liked to of seen trees or mountians or maybe a nice sunset on the beach.
For the record the total of my bill was no different than the agreed upon price from the show plus the typical tax and doc fee. Wouldn't rank CW as my #1 dealer to buy a camper from but not the worse either. Apparently they where better than the independent I visited or I would have bought from the independent instead.
mlrtimemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
camping world is fine to drop by and just look, or to pick up miscellaneous supplies, ie. tank tablets, hose parts, sewer parts, a chair, etc....but i would NEVER buy a coach from them, nor would i go there for service unless that was the only place to go................it's funny, they have a good network, but will not take advantage of it..........all they have to do is hire GOOD, QUALIFIED mechanics and charge a reasonable price......not to mention their corporate attitude to stand behind their service work..................and, to not take advantage of customers that want to purchase a new or used rv..................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:01 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Camping World bottom line

Their stock price has dropped 36% from Aug 2,2017 to Aug 2 ,2018.

Their sales and service practices are coming back to haunt them now
Old 08-03-2018, 05:07 AM   #10

We've already hashed this video here. It's been out for months and is not a CW specific issue, but an ignorant buyer issue as the same techniques are used at other RV dealerships. I'm not a CW Fanboi but I can recognize a hit piece when I see it.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'm with tfryman - I've seen reports of similar sales tactics at other stores besides CW. They advertise steep discounts, but they are often discounts from a fictitious price. Then they add in fees for a bunch of stuff that is supposed to be included, other stuff that is totally optional, and stuff that is merely boilerplate for extra profit, e.g. processing fee or dealer fee. Sharp wheeling and dealing that takes advantage of inexperienced or gullible buyers.

Both car and RV dealers know that the wise sales guy keeps the buyer focused on the [relatively] small monthly cost rather than the more scary total. You can hide a lot of sins that add up to "only a few dollars more per month".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #12

I've seen the video, linked in another post from a couple/few months ago. The Cheyenne shop owner is right in his disdain for the practices of Kamping Wurld (don't want to violate any trademarks...).

Yes, as @tfryman said, it's a hit piece but a well deserved one, IMNSHO, and it can apply to many aspects of high value sales transactions: cars, RVs, houses, investments (managed mutual funds come to mind). Caveat emptor applies, but how does a new buyer of these things know what is required or necessary, what is genuinely a valued option, and what is a scam?

Before purchasing my Class C I visited several dealers and looked at a couple of private sales offers. I ended up at Bob Hurley RV in Tulsa, OK. The sales, PDI and walk through were top notch, the staff unfailingly friendly and professional. I'd buy from them again, and wouldn't go to Kamping Wurld except to purchase supplies or accessories. I'd surely not count on them for honest sales or quality service.
Solo_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #13

OMG, we purchased our little pull behind 1 1/2 months ago from CW. This coming Monday we were about to call the connected bank (with the financing offer) to get a payoff figure from them. Planned on the check to be in the mail on Tuesday. Now I'm as nervous as hell about what I'm about to hear from the other end of the phone. A few days ago the bank told us "the principle" that is due.

If I hear a payoff figure of $6,000 more than expected or even $1,000 more, I know what I will need to do. It's a matter of principle with us.

I have a figure in mind of what the payoff figure should be and I'll send that amount to the bank. When they call us the 2nd or 3rd month to inquire about the other $6,000 dollars, I will tell them that me, the state attorney general, the FTC, the Consumer Protection Bureau, the State Commission of Insurance, my friend who's a state senator, and our lawyer will be glad to discuss the financial scam with the bank and CW. I figure I have $6,000 to play with to reach a satisfying resolution in paying off CW. It then becomes the real principle of the thing. Just sayin' that we know what we heard at closing. Hidden details in 4 pages of legal jargon should not be supported by any jury of my peers in this state.

If my suspicions are unfounded fears, I will report back to this thread and apologize to CW.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #14

Don't even buy supplies from them anymore. Lots of places with better prices.

Tags
camping, camping world