Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #15

The CW by me has a parts showroom about the size of my living room.

AZ Campers and Trailers has about the same size parts room, but have much more useful, and hard to find replacement parts. Their prices are more in line with what they should be.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:58 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Sadly, up here in BC (Vancouver Area) specifically, RV shops are typically not very large, well stocked.....or cheap. They aren't numerous either. Camping World is one of the closest large suppliers to me south of the 49th and their prices while not stellar sometimes are generally better than what I can get the same thing for up here. If you watch for their specials, you can usually get some very useful things quite reasonably. I have the luxury of having a US shipping address and so for example bought two Captain Chair Covers online and on sale, because I have a Good Sam, free shipping within the US. Not a bad deal at all. Just like any shopping outlet, you have to be a savvy consumer, strike at good deals when they come up and in the end you do fine.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #17

Had a series of unpleasant experiences when we purchased our TT from CW at an RV show. I try to avoid them whenever I have an alternative.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since they failed to do our warranty work after sale and told US to call the factory, we have not been in there. They are a bunch of know-nothings, with no customer service skills. Just my humble opinion, got renewal notice today and after 20 years of membership will not renew. We still have no 5er. Still paying and the insurance and taxes are paid, but we are ever hopeful, it has only been 6 and a half months since we took it in for warranty work. Camping World at its best.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #19

I learned a lot from this thread here.. I was wondering about CW and GS because I just got a "combined" coupon from them but looks like I won't order anything... When I first joined a long time ago CW had the Presidents Club and back then, it was really good deals and pricing on stuff. Lately, I've looked some stuff up on their site that I need but cross referenced to other internet vendors and they are 10 to 30% higher (really?)

Aside from all of that, I have a GS membership for a few years yet. Has anyone here really benefited from it at campgrounds? I paid in for 6 years (pretty small fee) but used it twice and basically paid back my membership fees but then ran into places that wouldn't accept it for savings.
I also have the insurance and by the sounds of posts here that it sucks when you have a claim. Luckily, I haven't had one.
I've looked at the Samboree stuff too and it seems pretty expensive. Does anyone here go to those?
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
What i have always noticed is so many campgrounds give a Good Sam discount on the daily rate but not the weekly or monthly rate. I will not be renewing mine next year all i can see it is good for at least for myself is a magazine that is mostly Cw advertisements . Just my 2 cents worth anyway.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #21
DKO

I am in my 10th year of membership of both Good Sam and Camping World. I have always bought enough things on sale to justify the membership cost at Camping World. Most of what I buy there I would be buying somewhere like chemicals, hoses and such. That is getting more difficult to do since their prices seem to be rising.

I probably spend 20 nights a year in Good Sam RV parks so that definitely pays for itself with the 10% discount.

I could take or leave all of that but I really appreciate the Good Sam Road side assistance. At about $100 a year it is so worth the peace of mind and AAA can not touch it.

I do hate all of the junk mail.... But I think that is getting better.

DKO
Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKO View Post
I am in my 10th year of membership of both Good Sam and Camping World. I have always bought enough things on sale to justify the membership cost at Camping World. Most of what I buy there I would be buying somewhere like chemicals, hoses and such. That is getting more difficult to do since their prices seem to be rising.

I probably spend 20 nights a year in Good Sam RV parks so that definitely pays for itself with the 10% discount.

I could take or leave all of that but I really appreciate the Good Sam Road side assistance. At about $100 a year it is so worth the peace of mind and AAA can not touch it.

I do hate all of the junk mail.... But I think that is getting better.

DKO

I don't work for Progressive Insurance but have had there policy on all my vehicles and haves been TOTALLY satisfied. When I compare it to GS, GS is a bad joke.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are Charter Lifetime GS members. If I had it to do again I'd probably skip the Lifetime membership. Only cost us $170 years ago and I'm still not certain we've saved any money.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #24

I had tossed up the lifetime membership. When I first signed up I did a year and then I received an offer to extend it 5, and I did...but after that I realized the offers kept coming via mail 3 more years and I won't renew.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My dad had a newspaper fire log roller similar to THIS ONE. He used to take all the junk mail and roll it up into fire logs and burn it in the wood stove, helping to heat the house in the winter. Mom used to accuse him of purposly getting our address on junk mail lists so he could have more firewood.

If I'd have known at the time, I'd have told him to join GS. He could have heated our house all winter.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #26

That's funny. One thing I do with junk mail is save all the prepaid envelopes for the whole year (sealed with nothing in it) I usually have a Large box full of them...and then I mail them at once it keeps the postmen/women working
Old 06-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Sales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
I'm not to impressed with either one. I ordered parts from camping world, with part number. CW price was $28.?? plus shipping. It never came in. I ordered on Ebay $12.?? including shipping. CW is known for there courtesy inspections where they simply find problems that they would be glad to fix for you, while your there. You'll get a discount if your a member, of course they'll inflate the price.
I seldom buy from Camping World unless and item is on sale and less costly than the same item on eBay. I (fortunately) don't get the GS mail everyone is talking about but sure do get Camping World emails almost daily. It seems that everything goes on "sale" every week. That means that if I go in a store and pay the listed price I will likely get rooked as the same item will be on "sale" in a few days. I can get almost everything at Walmart or eBay for far less than their so called "sale" price. Never pay full price at CW unless it is something you absolutely cannot get elsewhere and you can't wait a day or two for the price to be lowered.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
We will also be dropping GS/CW membership when it expires this year. Originally we thought it might come in handy but have found that there are many more less expensive and more reliable alternatives. For roadside assistance we have Coach-Net. Our insurance carriers are Blue Sky for the coach and the Jeep is insured through USAA Bank. Anything I can purchase at CW, I can purchase from Walmart, Amazon, RV Upgrades or any number of other sources much cheaper and without the "benefits" of membership.

Being that we are Rving full time and have to pay to have our mail forwarded to us, the constant barrage of junk mail from CW/GS is really starting to tick me off. In the past month we have received two different solicitations to become members of their roadside assistance program complete with two sets of membership cards.

I think we'll just save CW for those things we just have to have right now, if not sooner (thankfully those things are far and few between), and say good bye to Good Sam.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping