Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Camping World to buy Gander Mountain and Overtons

St. Louis Post Dispatch reported today that Camping World is buying Gander Mountain and Overton's subject to approval of Federal Bankruptcy Court. Somewhere else not to go to. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
St. Louis Post Dispatch reported today that Camping World is buying Gander Mountain and Overton's subject to approval of Federal Bankruptcy Court. Somewhere else not to go to. Eddie Elk.
I agree. Don't patronize CW and will not knowingly patronize any associated companies that they have or may acquire in the future. Thanks for the heads up.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Marcus knows how to make money, now with a big bank roll after his IPO watch out for really big news
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:35 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I remember 20 years ago when Camper World had everything I needed, and people that knew about RV's. I enjoyed going there and shopping. Now it's all about RV sales and they have very little to offer. To sum it up, CW sucks. Thanks for the info
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Personally I've never had anything but good service from Camping World in Denton, TX.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:53 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think that CW bought Gander Mountain, but rather Marcus Lemonis who owns CW.

BTW, I saw where CW sales were 883 million for the 1st quarter of 2017, with a net profit of 251 million. Guess Marcus will have a little pocket change to buy some more businesses!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GM went bankrupt and CW swept in and picked on the carcass. We had a GM build a new building nearby and open up in Sept (never been in it). Now its got a big going out of business sign. Apparently they are liquidating and CW will reopen a fraction of the stores with "their own mechandise". More overpriced stuff you can find cheaper at Amazon.
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:06 PM   #8

Wow, I never understand this CW hate speak. What have they done that is so distasteful? Is it that they are successful in their business model? Is it the big bad Walmart factor? I've been to many CW's around the country and they are great! Like any other big business, they have warts at times. Prices? If you've ever owned a boat and shopped at West Marine or other boat specialties, you won't complain about CW prices. Sometimes Amazon beats them, sometimes not. Admittedly, I've only had minor service work done by them but I love browsing around their stores.
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:52 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy54 View Post
Wow, I never understand this CW hate speak. What have they done that is so distasteful? Is it that they are successful in their business model? Is it the big bad Walmart factor? I've been to many CW's around the country and they are great! Like any other big business, they have warts at times. Prices? If you've ever owned a boat and shopped at West Marine or other boat specialties, you won't complain about CW prices. Sometimes Amazon beats them, sometimes not. Admittedly, I've only had minor service work done by them but I love browsing around their stores.
I agree with this. I've done business with CW when I lived in NJ and there was never a problem. They even let us stay overnight and supplied electric. Work was done quickly and what do you know? It worked. If people have a problem with a particular store perhaps they shouldn't blame every CW store. Just my experience.
RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #10

Me too, if their price is better I buy from them, with the internet to compare prices I win.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkee View Post
Personally I've never had anything but good service from Camping World in Denton, TX.
A lot of it store to store. There are two driving distance from me, 1 is terrible the other is ok.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I get their "sale event" flyers, pamphlets, etc. in the mail and if you ever notice, there is NEVER a coupon for, say, even 10%-20% off on any one item. They have stuff in their ads that are supposedly reduced, but it seems to always be the same stuff. I don't even read them because I know they don't have anything "on sale" that I want or need.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #13

Camping World is not buying Gander Mtn/Overtons. Marcus Lemonus's hedge fund is buying the assets of Gander Mountain and Overtons out of bankruptcy.

They already own Camping World and are buying every RV dealership in the U.S. where they're not already represented. Some stores' management is okay, but most are slam and jamb sales operations--like big national auto dealership chains. They're high pressure, high profits businesses.

Most Gander Mountain stores will be closed. Some that are profitable will remain open. And Camping World is going to be adding RV's to some of the Gander Mountain stores where they're not represented in the local retail market.

This is a very competitive segment of the retail market. It's all dog eat dog. With Academy Sports and Dick's Sporting Goods being so tough, I don't know how the retial market needs three sporting goods stores.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnkee View Post
I'm sure it differs at different stores. I've had good luck for the most part in North Little Rock, Arkansas. It got questionable for a while, but those folks have been replaced, and things have been fine lately.

Tags
camping, camping world