Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #1

Can Am Spyder RT

Evening everyone just a general question does anyone travel with a Can Am Spyder Roadster RT MC/trike and how do they like it .... Appreciate responses Ty ... Safe night to all
Marc
Usnret05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usnret05 View Post
Evening everyone just a general question does anyone travel with a Can Am Spyder Roadster RT MC/trike and how do they like it .... Appreciate responses Ty ... Safe night to all
Marc

Wish I did... .. D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
Wish I did... .. D
Ditto...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thom and I both test drove them when they first came out several years ago. I liked how they drove and felt and he did not.

I think the reason I did like them so much is it was the first 3 wheel I had driven. I have always had the 2 wheeled varity of motorcycles, heck I even had a mototcycle only lic in FL for 6 yrs. But a bike accident later and some medical issues and I can no longer hold up 2 wheels so easy. The 3 wheels of the Spyder was much easier for me to hold and ride. So either I will continue to just ride on the back of Thoms bike or my next one will be 3 wheels of some sort.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usnret05 View Post
Marc
I pull a Spyder in a trailer, it is our toad. Great combo and is good for shopping.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I thought it felt weird when I test drove one. Plus it was huge compared to a small sports car like a miata or bmw z. Not a fan of belt drives either
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #7

Funny when they first come out, I only seen females riding them, now every body is.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #8

Unlike a traditional trike, it's very difficult to tip a Spyder due to the computer wheel control. Only you can decide if it "feels" right for you and that requires a little more than a test drive. Find a friend (or head to Sturgis to meet many) and try it yourself. These machines are excellent road vehicles, have a little more "practicality" as a non-towed "toad", and can be frame carrier mounted (see CanAm Spyder - Hydralift-USA).

I have several close friends that are Spyder riders and have personally ridden one extensively. Unless you are a pure 2-wheel biker, the Spyder would be the only way I'd go. Stability, power, comfort, ease of driving (power steering, semi-auto transmission), practicality (like trunk space for shopping), a reverse gear, and so on.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I test drove them and personally I felt them to be more like riding a Quad on the street. I've been riding since I was 12 and probably always will. When I'm too old to hold up a bike I'll most likely get a trike but I doubt it'll be a Can Am with a Rotax engine.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
DGShaffer: I'm not sure about the slam against Rotax engines??

I used them in ultralight and experimental aircraft for over 30 year and they were, to me, very dependable.

But then again luck has always been at my side, maybe that's it.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not the motor but the choice in the Can Am since the width drives all the heat out onto your legs. I thought the heat pouring off the motor was pretty uncomfortable.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #12

They look to me to have all the disadvantages of a motorcycle, and very few of the advantages.

But, like my Model T hot rod, they don't fall over when you stop.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #13

The spyder doesn't fall over either .... Hmmm... I have joined the spyderlovers.com site and there are over 7000 people ho are very fond of the spyder and some who still have their two wheelers ... Right now I'm studying for the written test and will get my permit then will shop around... I think from what I've seen on line and in brochures and you tube it looks like a beaut and beast (good thing)... I can only imagine when I'll see it n person .. I understand their state chapters as well ... Everyone enjoy ....
Marc
Usnret05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #14

Just remember (and they will highlight this in your test ride disclaimer and make you sign this one statement) the Spyder does NOT drive/operate like a motorcycle/trike. You brake w/ foot pedal only, the steering is very different (esp w/ power assist), the lean is different, and you shift with your hand (or let it do the autoshift). It's very different (a class all its own) and yes, beauty and the BEAST is true. The things will rocket.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote