Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
Can we do it?

Newbie here! We are trying to decide when to pull the trigger on an upgraded RV and when to pull the trigger on true retirement to enjoy it. Bought an older, high mileage RV three years ago to see if we'd enjoy it and we certainly have, though only on a limited basis. Now we want to upgrade and retire, but the age old question keeps bothering us, how much is enough to retire? Hopefully we can pull the trigger at the end of this year!

Regards to all,

BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
My opinion (and experience) - If you have $3000 a month available, not counting Moho payment, you can do it. It can be done for less, but can be a challenge. Many people do it for less. There are many options to keep costs down. And you must have some in reserve.

2003 Ford F150 Supercab 5.4
1997 Keystone Sprinter 24RL
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
How much is enough to retire. That is in fact an age old question that is going to take so e serious planning to figure out. Add on the that fact that you want to full time in a MH adds a bit of complexity.
My only suggestion is to sit down and try and figure out a budget. In addition to that budget you need to have an exit plan built into your savings. That is what happens if you need to stop RVing because of health issues?
The site RV-Dreams has some good information on what it costs to full time along with stories of how they went through the process and things that went wrong as well as what went right.
There was a poll taken on some forum, I don't remember which one, that ask of Full timing costs as much, less, or more than the S&B. I think most said less but that really depends on your life style. In our case it's about the same if not a little more. We tend to eat out at local restaurants more and typically only stay at one place about two weeks. Although we do stay at a lot of state and national parks we don't do much COE or BLM boondocking and periodically stay at some of the high end resorts.
One of the nice things about FT is that you have to option to control your expenses more than you can in a S&B. If your checking account gets a little low you can stay at cheaper places or boon dock for a few days.
Depending on where you currently live and your financial situation, FT may provide the opportunity to save on state income tax. State like FL, TX, and SD go out of there way to make it easy to claim residency in there state. TX is starting to fall out of favor because of some newly instituted vehicle inspection requirements.
Any way, do your research, make realistic judgements on expenses and then add 20%. Full timing is great and I hope it works out for you.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

I think a lot depends on HOW you utilize the available funds. Are you going to be traveling a lot, only staying in each place for a week or two before moving on, or are you going to stay a month or more before moving on? If you are traveling a lot, fuel costs will be much higher and rental will be much higher. Just look at the weekly verses monthly rent costs. Your lifestyle and habits will play a key role in your budget. Our monthly income, until my wife qualifies for SS in a couple of years is slightly below the $3000 listed above, after paying our medical insurance costs. We have a significant RV loan, and still live very comfortably.

We did plan ahead and put at least 15% of our salary away for many years, so our investments give a couple of hundred dollars in dividend gains each month. We also stay several months a year in one place and do day trips. We recently paid cash for a lot in Florida that we can return to and stay year around if we wish to put up with the heat, so this will pay big dividends in the future.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
I guess it really depends on if you can adjust your lifestyle to the funds you have available. I've watched many people go broke trying to maintain a lifestyle they could no longer afford. They seem to somehow think they deserve to live a certain way and when they can longer afford to sustain it they can't bare to think of living by the means they currently have.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! We're glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought a vintage B and used it for camping for four years before we decided to buy our current motor home. After four years we had figured out what we wanted for a permanent RV. We won't be selling our house though. Decided trips were the best route for us. I've been retired from my day job for over four years and will be officially retired in August. Fortunate to have a good pension, investments, and now SS which should cover us.

I've seen people living on under $2,000/month and full timing and I've seen others that only have a limited SS check that were very happy. As stated above it will take a considerable amount to keep traveling but much less to just find a spot and sit for a while.
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old Radios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #9

Glad to have you here. There is no didfinitive amount that you need to retire. You just need to decide what you can and can't live without and budget accordingly. Good luck with your plans.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We live on less than $2000 a month. Everything we own is paid for so only bills are insurance, phone etc. We work in the summer to earn our travel and play money. We don't need to eat out alot or stay at resort CGs, so we are happy with what we have.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
Healthcare is the big expense for most. You used to be able to get a very high deductible policy just to protect you net worth and handle most of the expenses yourself. These are no longer permitted under ObamaCare. You need to get a good handle on what you are going to do about this. Even if you are on Medicare, it can still be expensive. We are over $600 a month with our supplemental policy, Part D, and the monthly Medicare charge. Good Luck
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #12
The two biggest expences in RV'ing are campsites and fuel. And, they are the ones you can control. We volunteer or workamp for 3-4 months at a time and when we travel, we travel slowly to spread the fuel costs out over a longer period of time. I also joined the VFW, American Legion, Moose and Eagles. Many of them have small campgrounds or will let you park in their lot for a day or two. I installed a solar power system before retirement so we can stay off grid, needing only water and dumping. We are drawing social security only, but still have the same amount of money we had when we started fulltiming 3 years ago. Figure your disposable income for the month and divide by thirty. Then, try to stay under that amount per day. You will go over some days and can make up for it on others. You can save up and splurge.
I have had more fun in the last three years than I had in the 69 before them.

Jim and Darlene Wright
plus Ryder, the Ethiopian
monkeybeaver dog
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote