Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #1

Can You Hear Me Now?

Just wanted to let everyone know if you hear a train coming down the road it may be me! Just got tired of being ignored when I blew the horn so on the way back from Florida this time I stopped at I-75 Chrome Stop and purchased a set of TRAIN horns.
My daughter lives over a mile away and could hear them, through heavy woods!
At least someone will not be able to say they didn't hear the horn!

Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When it comes to horns on a MH, they can't make them loud enough. Sometimes when people irritate me, I give them the air horns just to see them swerve all around the road. My DW says I'm a Stinker!

Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 AM   #3

Jim your not a stinker that I know of. I regularly drive a 2 lane road that is posted 65 MPH. And I regularly end up behind someone doing 55. As I go around them I enjoy that their window is down. That way they enjoy all that diesel exhaust I pump out by flooring the pedel. And yes a Cummins pumps alot of black smoke when floored. I'm Looking at adding air horns to the tow vehicle.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have no choice. MH only came with air horns.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What was the speed limit on that 2 lane road that the person was driving on.
Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #6

Wizard it is 65 MPH.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:16 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Here was a view on air horns that I posted in the Humor section about a year ago:

My sons tell me that I use my horn too much. But they were raised in a time of road rage where they fear a simple ‘beep’ will be met with the business end of a 44 Magnum.

It never ceases to amaze me how I can be driving a 40 foot long, 13 foot high brown vehicle that is INVISIBLE to cars. Or maybe they think those big air brakes can stop 12 tons of fiberglass and metal on a dime? Either way, it’s my civic duty to alert them with 95 decibels of wax-rendering sound waves.

Thinking back, I grew up in a time when a horn was more of a communication device:

Beep –> Please get moving.
BEEEEEEP -> WAKE UP and move your car forward.
Beep, Beep -> Hey honey, looking pretty good today!

Most Americans are very ‘honk shy’. Towns have noise ordinances. New York City has ‘honk free’ zones. Like most men, I view a horn as an extension of my masculinity. Small car horns? Come on, no one is going to move for that low-decibel ‘chirp’. Pickup truck? Now you are putting some testosterone behind that baby. Semi truck air horn? The ULTIMATE in getting the attention of all drivers and pedestrians within a city block. And probably sending a few of them off to purchase a hearing aid.

Now Europeans really know how to use their horns. Especially the Romans. Spend a few moments observing the drivers (from a safe distance) navigating their way from Via Marmorala onto Viale Marco Polo in downtown Rome. Cliffs of thousand year old buildings confining a sea of cars that would fit into one of your basement compartments. Notice that the staccato of horns is constant and reverberate off those hallowed walls. Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep. As if the drivers felt that silence would cause all traffic to stop. FIAT must make a bundle on replacing horns that just plum wear out. I’ve never been to Asia, but looking at pictures of traffic in Bangkok or Beijing, I’m SURE those drivers know their way around a horn. When you have to encounter livestock on city streets, a horn is your ONLY weapon.

Maybe Americans just don’t know where their horn IS anymore. My steering wheel has a mongo airbag with two microscopic ‘bugles’ embossed on the black plastic. Black on black – almost PERFECT camouflage. I have to switch to my reading glasses just to find the darn horn! Press one inch away from those symbols and NO SOUND. Sometimes you have to press down with all your weight just to get a toot. Other times your elbow accidently hits its while your fishing for something that fell and you nearly scare yourself to the ‘big campground in the sky’!

There HAS to be an accepted time to use your horn. So if Emily Post had to create an ‘Air Horn Etiquette’ FAQ, what would it look like?

Q: Can you honk if the driver in front of you is on the cell phone?
A: A courteous beep will remind the driver that their primary responsibility is DRIVING!

Q: What if a person is ‘texting’ while driving?
A: In order to obtain an immediate response, LAY ON THAT AIR HORN!

Q: Can I still beep at a nice looking woman?
A: Although in some states this would be grounds for sexual harassment, privately, the woman MAY be appreciative that she still ‘has it’ after all these years. On the other hand, she could copy down your tag number and haul your sorry butt into court.

Q: When would you use the coveted ‘multi-note’ horn?
A: In the upper echelon of tag-wheeled DP’s, this is never acceptable. However, if you want to be viewed like the Gornicke’s in the movie RV, go for it.

Q: What if one has have escalated from a regular horn to the air horn and the offending driver still does not capitulate?
A: You may want to provide directions to heaven with the finger of your choosing.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I gotta serious upgrade my horn. Wound up buying an air horn kit for my truck to replace the castrated thing that the truck came with (Had the same horn as my little Plymouth Acclaim), however they didn't mention the notes being used for the two horn system.

Hooked it up and discovered that I sound like the first key notes some mariachi music. Sadly, couldn't return it at the time, so I keep using it, though sparingly, waiting for when I can upgrade to the much longer barreled silver horn kit that harbor freight has.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #9

In some cases you can be cited for using your horn in a non-emergency situation.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
However, the likelihood of this occurring is far less likely than getting cited for something else. Like a speeding ticket or something for road rage.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #11

Where I work we have a 26 ft furniture delivery truck that we use as a mobile lab. I had been on the road checking west coast airports for 2 weeks. When I pulled in to our home compound. My coworkers girlfriend was standing talking to someone next to the driveway. She had her back to me. Notice me with evil smile. I let truck idle up as close as I can. Then let loose with the air horn. I didn't hear the end of it from coworker. His g/f wet herself. She still won't talk to me. And that was 2 years ago.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
No offense but what is it with this need to make obnoxiously loud noise with train horns. We have air horns which came supplied as an option with our MH and there is no need to have anything louder for any distance that horns would/could be of any value. It can't be that important to make sure that everyone is made aware of your impatience and anger; it only startles and angers others. I have the same advice for these folks as I do for those with loud pipes on motorcycles, learn to ride so you don't have to depend on others to watch out for your well being.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadstone View Post
No offense but what is it with this need to make obnoxiously loud noise with train horns. We have air horns which came supplied as an option with our MH and there is no need to have anything louder for any distance that horns would/could be of any value. It can't be that important to make sure that everyone is made aware of your impatience and anger; it only startles and angers others. I have the same advice for these folks as I do for those with loud pipes on motorcycles, learn to ride so you don't have to depend on others to watch out for your well being.
Good point. However, in most cases, I don't think those sounding their air horns/train horns are doing so because they are expecting others to look out for their well being. I suspect that most blasts are a reminder to some off the wall goof ball to look out for themselves. Case in point:

We were driving through Waco last year when a string of cars entered I-35 from a ramp (I was driving in the center lane. Suddenly, I noticed that the last car in line was swerving all of her lane and nearly clipped the side of my MH. I checked that it was safe and braked firmly, allowing her to pass. She was digging in her purse. A few seconds later, it was clear that she had been searching for a cigarette because she lit it and put it out the window with her right had. Again, her car swerved several times, nearly crossing completely into the lane that I was in. For that she received a light tap on the air horn. In return, I got the 1 finger salute. Now, she obviously had a cell phone in her hands. With the cigarette between the fingers of her left hand, she started to text, using her elbows to steer the car. She made another huge turn, nearly into our lane. That earned her another air horn blast, this time a little longer. She immediately pulled into our lane and slammed on her brakes. That got her about 15 seconds worth of air horn serenade.

I know, I know. The standard response is why not simply FIDO (Forget it, drive on.) The only problem was that the left most lane was full of traffic and she was effectively blocking both the other lanes. I don't have another HP to accelerate from that speed (around 65mph) to try to get in front someone like that. My only choice is to hope that she will be intimidated by the air horns and leave me alone. She finally did but not before giving me another 1 finger salute.

It was one of the situations where my air horns were just not loud enough for the occasion. I can watch out for myself, thanks very much. I just expect others to do the same and my air horn will never sound.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #14

By the time I realize it's time to use a horn it is probably too late to find it. In my case, driving defensivly keeps me out of most predicaments, but those that weave in/out of traffic ignore any horn, they know what they are doing and do it anyway.
Regarding that 65 speed limit and driving 55; 65 is the legal limit not the recommended speed. There are laws concerning slow drivers though, at least in Indiana. If there are seven vehicles following a slow vehicle (less than 35 mph) the law requires the slow vehicle to pull out at the first safe area to allow following vehicles to proceed.
Corsair, if your 96 CTD is blowing black smoke it needs a tune-up. Mine would only blow visible black smoke when something was not right. Black smoke is unburned fuel, hard on mileage.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote