Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Don't be too hard on the driver, it was snowing when they got lost and he may not have realized he wasn't on pavement.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I just can't believe people going up logging roads to get to the big city. Does anyone look at a map before they start a trip so they have some positional awareness. There are I routes the whole way. If you are looking around the countryside touring when the road gets ruff turn back "IT AIN'T GUNNA GET BETTER". I use GPS more than most as it was my profession for the last years of my career, but I still look for a way out.

LEN
I couldn't turn around and I thought the detour sign would direct me out. I was lucky.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #17

Apparently they decided to visit a ghost town. The news pictures show the van well off the road, appears he tried to turn around without doing a three point. They exhibited very poor judgement and paid the price.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #18
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question Again GPS

On the 10 o'clock news (CTV), they had a local man saying, that GPS in that area is very poor. The Locals know it, but not a visitor. Yes - they wanted to visit the Ghost Town and it snowed pretty heavy.
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
Canadian couple's missteps shock Nev. town locals - Yahoo! News
Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
Just came over the news (CTV), that they trusted their GPS!

TW
It's a mixed bag - the PRIMARY reason for buying and using a GPS is for accurate and reliable DIRECTION in unfamiliar territory - whether that "direction" is inside a big unfamiliar city, OR out in unfamiliar rural country.

We have a Garmin GPS unit - very helpful in MOST situations - BUT, has clear failings especially in remote and rural locations where it will quite frequently try to direct us by what IT thinks is a shorter or faster route down what is actually some cow trail or long abandoned dirt path - easily enough avoided in clear weather in daylight - perhaps NOT quite as easily detected in the dark and in snow where the road surface is not evident.

SO - you buy these gadgets as a trusted device to help you safely navigate in unfamiliar territory - but then are warned to NOT trust them by their makers - and use a map instead?

Then why BOTHER buying one to begin with?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I read that the husband liked to explore new routes. They had just bought the GPS. HE selected the shortest route and was following the GPS. The GPS is like any machine, it does not reason. It just shows the shortest route, period. I ran into the exact same thing coming back from the north rim of the grand canyon. we were returning to Kanab. I selected shortest route. It routed me to a forest service road. I took one look at the road (path) turned around and went back to hwy 67. You have to use common sense when using any instrument. I love my GPS. It lets me know which lane to be in when on the interstate. Sometimes to go left, you go off to the right and cross over the expressway and viceversa. It is hard to move over 55 plus feet in traffic. I will never leave my GPS at home, But i will always use common sense when using it.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
It's a mixed bag - the PRIMARY reason for buying and using a GPS is for accurate and reliable DIRECTION in unfamiliar territory - whether that "direction" is inside a big unfamiliar city, OR out in unfamiliar rural country.

We have a Garmin GPS unit - very helpful in MOST situations - BUT, has clear failings especially in remote and rural locations where it will quite frequently try to direct us by what IT thinks is a shorter or faster route down what is actually some cow trail or long abandoned dirt path - easily enough avoided in clear weather in daylight - perhaps NOT quite as easily detected in the dark and in snow where the road surface is not evident.

SO - you buy these gadgets as a trusted device to help you safely navigate in unfamiliar territory - but then are warned to NOT trust them by their makers - and use a map instead?

Then why BOTHER buying one to begin with?
I NEVER set mine on "shortest route" - it seems to want to go as the crow flies. Other than that, I'd probably still be wandering out west without mine! I only had one or two incidents in 6 months when I got "lost". Traveling alone, it's not always easy to pull over to look at a map.