Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2017, 05:45 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Canadian Customs

Has anyone crossed back to the US using Global Entry? If so do you need to register your coach when you enter Canada or does it now matter? Some one told us ( Customs agent when we got our Global passport that we needed to do so but she was not sure where or when) that we had to do this.

Thanks

momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #2

OK, first I've heard of this situation; Global Passport ? ; so I'll have to ask questions.

Where is the coach registered ?
Is the coach registered in your name or will it be a rented unit?
What country's passport did you hold; prior to the " Global Passport" ?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's global entry, not a global passport. You still travel under your regular passport, global entry just streamlines reentry into the US. Sorry, I don't know where or when you would register your vehicle, but for the uninformed the global entry will also streamline getting your vehicle back into the US.

Glenn
Old 01-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep makes reentry into the US a breeze as well as your vehicle. Only question is does the vehicle need to be registered with Canada when you cross into Canada.

Using the global entry when returning from the Dominican Republic to the US cuts our time down at customs in Miami from 1-2 hours to about 15 min.

momdoc
Old 01-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
All is saw mentioned about Global Entry on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website referred to US entry through airports. I could find nothing to indicate it was available at land entry point.

I might also suggest that you re-post this with a more appropriate title such as "Global Entry in RV" as the current title indicates this had something to do with Canadian Customs, which it appears not too. As is, most people reading this will simply think, "What is Global Entry" and then click through.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I started to have to travel a lot (+500K miles in ~2 years). I was traveling from South America into Miami and had to wait in line for +2 hours to get through customs, what a pain and I almost missed my connecting domestic flight. I checked into Global Entry and applied and received my clearance. After that it was life in the fast lane when returning to the USA.

When reentering the USA the Global entry card can be used in lieu of a passport. In international airports there are kiosks set up that you can scan the card and get faster entry. I did use the card while traveling back from Toronto to USA via car but it didn't really save any time. It might provide for a little less scrutiny while entering as you had to have a security clearance to get it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We used Global Entry when we returned to the US via cruise ship in Ft Lauderdale Fla. Dec 19. Took about 5 minutes to clear customs. There was an extremely long Disney type line for the non Global Entry returnees. We were on a small ship and it saved us a lot of time, but think what you would save if on a 4500 passenger ship.

Glenn
Old 01-06-2017, 05:32 PM   #8

......."you had to have a security clearance to get it."

Actually, no you don't. You will have your background looked at, and have an in person interview, but not a security clearance investigation.

While I have both, one has nothing to do with the other.
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #9

I think you need NEXUS for crossing a border from Canada to the US for expedited screening. Global Entry uses a kiosk at airports.

This is from the NEXUS website:

The NEXUS program allows pre-screened travelers expedited processing when entering the United States and Canada. Program members use dedicated processing lanes at designated northern border ports of entry, NEXUS kiosks when entering Canada by air and Global Entry kiosks when entering the United States via Canadian Preclearance airports. NEXUS members also receive expedited processing at marine reporting locations.

John
RadioRanger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Just went to the Government web site and it appears that we can use our Global entry card to use the Nexus expedited lanes when returning to the US but not when entering Canada.

momdoc
Old 01-07-2017, 06:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Just went to the Government web site and it appears that we can use our Global entry card to use the Nexus expedited lanes when returning to the US but not when entering Canada.

momdoc
You are correct. For us, Global entry is more useful at airport crossings. We have Nexus Cards which facilitate 'trusted traveller' land crossings in BOTH directions and also allow us to use the Global Entry terminals at the airports. The result is much shorter lines in both cases.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote