Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
We're staying in Canada for holidays this year for this very reason.

Although the dollar may be $.78, if you use your bank card, credit card or exchange cash to USD, the banks charge an additional $.02 on top of the $.78 making it a useable $.76 against USD.

That sucks!

I usually dabble in buying and selling RV's and can't swallow throwing away $13,000 on a $50,000 buy in the U.S. just to exchange rate. It's curbed my hobby.
X2 Les, I feel blessed that we live in Osoyoos where the winter is such that we don't feel the need to go south if it is not to our economical benefit.
We used to do a lot of shopping in Omak and Oroville but not so much any more. I'm sure those towns are feeling the pinch. We used to go to Oroville and half the plates were BC or, in the winter, AB, SK MB. Now, only a couple.
Smelling the Roses north of the 49th this year.
All you Americans should be heading north. Diesel is about $4.00/gal in Alberta and when you factor in your 25% discount on everything you buy, how could you refuse?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #16

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Wow! Sounds like we might want to change our timing for touring Canada! \ken
I think it's a good time to come to Canada when our dollar is less than the U.S.
Or did I miss something ?

Old 07-08-2015, 08:07 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
I filled up in Calgary last week and diesel was $0.97 per liter CDN. Calculates to $2.88 per US gallon in US dollars at 0.78 exchange. Prices have come down.
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I filled up in Calgary last week and diesel was $0.97 per liter CDN. Calculates to $2.88 per US gallon in US dollars at 0.78 exchange. Prices have come down.
Yes, and that is only fuel. How about everything else? It's even better than .078 if you check around. Time to pack up your kit bag and head North my friends.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:36 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Don't bother to come to BC
Diesel in Kamloops is $1.19/litre

Reg. gas is $1.22/litre
Old 07-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I live in Fla.and just spent 2 weeks in Canada (east coast). Canada is beautiful, BUT,Canada has: expensive-food, restaurants, fuel, wine,campgrounds are not so great-short on amenities-and costly , not to mention terrible roads .

Florida Campgrounds are bargains, & turn away folks (including Floridians) in the Winter. NO trouble finding Canadian plates on RV's in Fla.

Sorry, but you get a huge bargain in the US, considering what you offer Americans in Canada.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deny View Post
I live in Fla.and just spent 2 weeks in Canada (east coast). Canada is beautiful, BUT,Canada has: expensive-food, restaurants, fuel, wine,campgrounds are not so great-short on amenities-and costly , not to mention terrible roads .

Florida Campgrounds are bargains, & turn away folks (including Floridians) in the Winter. NO trouble finding Canadian plates on RV's in Fla.

Sorry, but you get a huge bargain in the US, considering what you offer Americans in Canada.

Thank you for your insight Deny, but I'll take Beautiful British Columbia over Florida any time.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Quote:

Patriotism is one thing but this is just bashing. 2 weeks in one relatively small portion of our nation hardly makes you an expert. Canada is a huge country, food is not that expensive and costs vary greatly across the country as do fuel costs. On the subject of roads, we hardly have a corner on the market for bad road maintenance unless the many threads in this forum that complain about US roads are a fabrication.
Some things such are RV facilities may not be as developed but that is to be expected when you live in a place where many areas are just not suitable for RV'ing 6 months of the year and where the population is about 12% of that in the US. Canadians like coming the US. Otherwise we wouldn't do it. It is also a vast country with lots to see and enjoy but having said that most Canadians are very proud of their country just like Americans are of theirs. We accept that Canada has good and bad points just like America has good and bad points. Bargains can describe a great many things other than just shopping. Don't be a pot that calls the kettle black.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:30 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I have to disagree with you. The roads I traveled were excellent and the only people speeding and driving reckless were the Americans. All the campgrounds we stayed in were nice. We really enjoyed our times in Canada and I didn't find the cost prohibitive.

You may think their roads are bad because you are spoiled...the roads in Florida are the best I've driven on anywhere in the lower 48 states. But, holy cow, you guys take the cake for the worst drivers!!
Old 07-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #24

I've found that everywhere we go is beautiful in its own way. Each area has its own merits. Yes, some places are more expensive than others whether it be food, fuel, or whatever, but it still has value and is exciting and interesting to see. We went to Canada (Ontario) 2 years ago and were quite impressed with how clean it was. Even the graffiti was nicely done...LOL
Old 07-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #25

I would think Canadians would appreciate other Canadians spending their cash in Canada.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #26

Well I see this Canadian dollar thread is moving right along. Thought I would update my last post with some stuff I experienced today.
Wife and I went to COSTCO today ( Friday, 10 July) She had a list of stuff she wanted to purchase and since I had no particular purchases to make I opted to stay with the car and look after our pappilion puppy that was riding with us.
We had a nice spot under a shade tree, so I opened the hatch on our scion XB and pulled out a fold up chair I had in the back. Wit a jug of ice water and a treat for the pup I sat back to watch the world roll by. Not including truck mounted campers, and towable trailers of various types I counted at least ten large class A RV's with Canadian tags. The numbers of Canadian tagged sedans and pickup trucks was beyond measure, I couldn't keep up. After a bit a Canadian class A rig pulled up and pulled in across five marked parking spots.
Now this particular COSTCO has areas marked out for the larger rigs to park. SWhy ths fellow chose to park as he did aroused my curiosity. I watched as he exited his vehicle and strode off across the lot for the store. While he was gone three more family sedans pulled in, all with Canadian tags. One car pulled up immediately in front of him, the other two immediately behind him. Effectively blocking him off from any exit. Watching this I though "oh boy,...this is gonna be fun!" Time passed and eventually the class A owner reappeared with his basket of purchases. I watched him load up and then return his shopping cart to a collection stand. Returning to his rig, he didn't appear to be in the least bothered by the fact he was hemmed in. My curiosity now about to explode I got up and wandered over. "Looks like your stuck" I commented " and by your fellow countrymen at that" "No problem " he came back as he went on to explain these were his neighbors from his home in Canada. They were travelling together! It turns out they were a "convoy" of sorts all together on a cross country trip. They were a day out of Canada on their way to Los Angeles, then San Diego, then east to Vegas and from there through Texas and on into Kentucky. When I brough up the lower Canadian dollar and what I had read here about its effect on folks, it didn't seem to phase them at all. Gas was cheaper here, food was in their opinon cheaper here, some of them were using American cradit cards. While they were all rolling seperate vehicles, they would meet up at night and spend it together in the 40 foot RV. I counted nine souls and two dogs in this "gaggle", all from the same district in British Columbia, Vancouver.
I spent some twenty minutes chatting with these folks and I came away feeling they didn't seerm to have a care about the exchange rate. Yeah they would have liked it to be a bit more on parity with the U.S. Dollar, but being that
"it is what it is" they intended to carry on and "move on down the road".
The way I see's it with that attitude, they'll be in Kentucky with no sweat.
Who knows I may have to go back north for a while. The campings great on Vancouver Island. Might try a stint at Courtenay, or even up to Tofino. I flew up there once, it was beautifull! Who know's.......at 78 cents Canadian to the U.S. Dollar.......
Old 07-11-2015, 02:20 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mike View Post
Well I see this Canadian dollar thread is moving right along. Thought I would update my last post with some stuff I experienced today.
Wife and I went to COSTCO today ( Friday, 10 July) She had a list of stuff she wanted to purchase and since I had no particular purchases to make I opted to stay with the car and look after our pappilion puppy that was riding with us.
We had a nice spot under a shade tree, so I opened the hatch on our scion XB and pulled out a fold up chair I had in the back. Wit a jug of ice water and a treat for the pup I sat back to watch the world roll by. Not including truck mounted campers, and towable trailers of various types I counted at least ten large class A RV's with Canadian tags. The numbers of Canadian tagged sedans and pickup trucks was beyond measure, I couldn't keep up. After a bit a Canadian class A rig pulled up and pulled in across five marked parking spots.
Now this particular COSTCO has areas marked out for the larger rigs to park. SWhy ths fellow chose to park as he did aroused my curiosity. I watched as he exited his vehicle and strode off across the lot for the store. While he was gone three more family sedans pulled in, all with Canadian tags. One car pulled up immediately in front of him, the other two immediately behind him. Effectively blocking him off from any exit. Watching this I though "oh boy,...this is gonna be fun!" Time passed and eventually the class A owner reappeared with his basket of purchases. I watched him load up and then return his shopping cart to a collection stand. Returning to his rig, he didn't appear to be in the least bothered by the fact he was hemmed in. My curiosity now about to explode I got up and wandered over. "Looks like your stuck" I commented " and by your fellow countrymen at that" "No problem " he came back as he went on to explain these were his neighbors from his home in Canada. They were travelling together! It turns out they were a "convoy" of sorts all together on a cross country trip. They were a day out of Canada on their way to Los Angeles, then San Diego, then east to Vegas and from there through Texas and on into Kentucky. When I brough up the lower Canadian dollar and what I had read here about its effect on folks, it didn't seem to phase them at all. Gas was cheaper here, food was in their opinon cheaper here, some of them were using American cradit cards. While they were all rolling seperate vehicles, they would meet up at night and spend it together in the 40 foot RV. I counted nine souls and two dogs in this "gaggle", all from the same district in British Columbia, Vancouver.
I spent some twenty minutes chatting with these folks and I came away feeling they didn't seerm to have a care about the exchange rate. Yeah they would have liked it to be a bit more on parity with the U.S. Dollar, but being that
"it is what it is" they intended to carry on and "move on down the road".
The way I see's it with that attitude, they'll be in Kentucky with no sweat.
Who knows I may have to go back north for a while. The campings great on Vancouver Island. Might try a stint at Courtenay, or even up to Tofino. I flew up there once, it was beautifull! Who know's.......at 78 cents Canadian to the U.S. Dollar.......
You will be most welcome. Speculation has been high in these parts that it will be a very good year for Americans coming north. I guess that is the cycle of life with it's ebbs and flows. BC Ferries have a deal on crossings for vehicles over 20' right now heading to and from Vancouver Island. Just sayin.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
We are seeing lots of Americans coming through Kamloops and
heading to Alaska. On their return trip they have nothing but praise for the
scenery and hospitality of BC.
They are surprised at fuel costs but they all said the trip was worth every penny.

I believe that is the way most of us Canadian snowbirds feel when we head south.
We just renewed our travel insurance and will be heading off to Sturgis in a
short while. Waiting for Fall to enjoy seeing what the United States has this year.

Great country, great times, and

that, that is, is.
that, that is not, is not.
is that it?
that it is.