Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2015, 09:16 AM   #29
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
You will be most welcome. Speculation has been high in these parts that it will be a very good year for Americans coming north. I guess that is the cycle of life with it's ebbs and flows. BC Ferries have a deal on crossings for vehicles over 20' right now heading to and from Vancouver Island. Just sayin.
Yup. You save $4.35 per foot after 20' on Wednesday and Saturday sailings after 4:00PM and Sunday morning before 9:00AM.

I'm not able to catch those days in August when I go to the Island so I'm stuck with the full rate..$623.50 CAD return.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #30
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I assure you that the US always welcomes our Canadian brothers and sisters. I doubt that the 180 day requirement is aimed at you, but rather at some other visitors. (Who ignore it anyway,)

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 04:27 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Here in Vancouver, WA the lowest I can find diesel is $3.059 a gallon. I'd like to fill the rig up at $2.50!
Saw $2.79 yesterday along I-5 just north on Tukwila in the curves. at the end of Boeing field. Thats the best I've seen for D. Just paid $2.99 for Regular Unleaded for the Yukon today
Old 07-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #32

As one of BC's neighbours to the South I always enjoy my time up there. My biggest frustration is with US ICE coming home. Thats why I have limited more recent trips to Vancouver to taking the AMTRAK Cascades from Seattle. Beautiful scenery, courteous service and no hassle with the boarder either way. Now once I get my coach I WILL be doing CA1 to Toronto.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I assure you that the US always welcomes our Canadian brothers and sisters. I doubt that the 180 day requirement is aimed at you, but rather at some other visitors. (Who ignore it anyway,)
Obviously you are not aware that Canadians are not allowed to stay any longer
than 180 days per calendar year. Homeland security does not allow it and also if we do stay longer, we are subject to having to pay taxes in BOTH countries.

The Canadian Snowbird Association has been trying to get our stay extended to 240 days. We also have the backing of several of your State governors.

We can go to any other country without this limitation except for the United States. If we could stay longer we would. It is hard to see your north eastern states in the winter months.
We need to count each and every day even if we cross over for a day of shopping or to pick up a mail order.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I also forgot to mention that if we come back into Canada and have overstayed
the 180 days, the border patrol can place a ban on us up to 10 years.
There is no recourse, no way of fighting this.

Each border officer has their own power to do what they feel at the time.

Canadians love to escape the winter. The USA has better winter weather
and that is what attracts us.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #35

We've been traveling to Canada in recent years as a backup when airfares to Europe and other international destinations get too high. We just love the scenery and the Canadian people. We see as many as 8 Canadian trips in our future.

When it comes to immigration, the buck goes both ways. Foreigners can move into Canada if they bring big fat savings accounts. When I worked for Megacorporation, our U.S. citizens working in Canada had to prepay taxes before they could move home--enough money to where the company had to advance the funds to the government. Both sides of the border don't want foreigners taking their jobs. Canada doesn't want foreigners using their healthcare services.

Our dollar was about 5% off on our last trip. We found the cheapest beer in Nova Scotia to be $12.99 and there was a 15% sales tax. Simple hamburgers in restaurants were $12 where we'd be paying $6.99 for a comparable burger in a Chili's. I don't remember the cost of fuel per liter, but it was substantially higher than in The States.

Even though there is a 22% difference in the prices of the two Dollars, we can still travel cheaper in the U.S. than in Canada. The differential is offset in the relative prices and HST/Sales Tax rates. I never thought I'd be so glad to cross the border into Maine--with their cheaper U.S. prices on goods, services and food.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Check Gas Buddy in the Phoenix area. Sorry, but when it comes to fuel prices I don't even consider anything on the west coast. So far out of line with the rest of the US it doesn't even show up on my radar.

Washington to Phoenix for diesel? Let's see u bash California and now the entire westcoast. California has some of the strictest anti pollution laws regarding automotive fuels especially sulfur and volatility. Sulfur I diesel is limited to 15 ppm.

Are u planning a trip to the left coast,if not, why would you be checking our pricing?
Old 01-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
OK...STICKER SHOCK
Canadian dollar down to .69 cents.
The prediction is that it will drop down to .59 cents
and remain there for a couple of years.

Guess when I cross the border back into Canada and the
question is asked "What is the value of goods you are bringing
back?" comes up, the answer will be 0.

The bank exchange rate today is $1.46.

Glad my resort fees are paid up for three more years.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMDF9A View Post
As one of BC's neighbours to the South I always enjoy my time up there. My biggest frustration is with US ICE coming home. Thats why I have limited more recent trips to Vancouver to taking the AMTRAK Cascades from Seattle. Beautiful scenery, courteous service and no hassle with the boarder either way. Now once I get my coach I WILL be doing CA1 to Toronto.
You must look like trouble then As I've been to Vancouver Island three times since August and have not had one issue with the border agents. On two of those occasions I brought back major purchases as well. A Canadian made car trailer for my Caterham Express Custom Tailers, Mfg. - The Island's Number One Place for Custom Jobs That car trailer was a bargin at $2,900 USD.
and a Foretravel coach. I was in and out in less than 30-45 minutes each time. I even went to the wrong area to import the coach & the agents said not to worry that they could do it even though they normally don't.
1998 Foretravel U320LE 36' #5314
2014 Mercedes GLK250 diesel
2003 Subaru legacy L touring car
super7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:39 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
It amazes me as to the current X-change rate. I started working for a Canadian company in early 2011 and soon after had to start traveling to corporate headquarters in Toronto. The FX rate was almost par. My Salary was in $US but unfortunately my bonuses were in stock base on the Canadian$$. Just received my delayed bonus check from 2013 and lost ~25% on the x-change rate. Such is life.

Hoping the rate does stay where it though as am planning trip to Alaska in 2017.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:01 PM   #40

Americans should enjoy increased purchasing power but with so much of our products being bought with Yankee pesos plus an onerous tax structure there is no free lunch for anybody. Anybody want to pay $4.00/lb for California broccoli or $1.09/liter for gas? That is what we are stuck with.
Tourism is up, the ski resort operators are grinning but as pensioners we really have to bear down to survive. It ain't pretty.