Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs down Canceled Insurance

I got a letter yesterday in the mail from my MH insurance Co. and they stated that I didn't renew my policy. and canceled us. I didn't even get a reminder.. We called our agent and he came back not to worry that i can (this year pay it over 4 payments) yes $860.00 a year for full coverage on a 82 MH Wait a minute we pay $259.00 a year for a 49 year old $30,000.00 classic car and we pay $860.00 a year for a 31 year old motor home Something is not right here.
Called the agent again and he told us that they consider us fulltimers... HUH, the MH has sat in the driveway pretty much the last 10 months
I am calling around today for a better rate. I have 2 cars a MH and a house all with the same agent. Boy am I pis--d off.
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I got a letter yesterday in the mail from my MH insurance Co. and they stated that I didn't renew my policy. and canceled us. I didn't even get a reminder.. We called our agent and he came back not to worry that i can (this year pay it over 4 payments) yes $860.00 a year for full coverage on a 82 MH Wait a minute we pay $259.00 a year for a 49 year old $30,000.00 classic car and we pay $860.00 a year for a 31 year old motor home Something is not right here.
Called the agent again and he told us that they consider us fulltimers... HUH, the MH has sat in the driveway pretty much the last 10 months
I am calling around today for a better rate. I have 2 cars a MH and a house all with the same agent. Boy am I pis--d off.
Tim
Who's the insurer? I use National Interstate for my 2002 class A. I pay $430/yr with a $1000 deductible. They were VERY good when I had a claim last year.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #3

You can't compare motor home insurance to classic car insurance. My '49 Plymouth gets insured with full coverage for less than $ 100 a year. We pay around $ 850 for our motor home. I'm sure the number of claims and amounts paid for each is significantly higher for motor homes than collector cars. That affects the premiums charged. If you want to save some money maybe you don't need full coverage on a 1982 motor home or see if you can increase the deductible for a savings. Good luck.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #4

I have Geico for all our vehicles (4) and the MH is $366 per year with a $500 ded. Have had them for 7 years with a couple of claims that were handled quickly and no rate increases.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #5

Tim: Ask yourself why you are carrying full coverage on an 82 model rig? If you smack something will the rig get repaired or just "settled". I think a nice comprehensive policy that covers glass is wonderful. You can bank the rest of the savings into the buy a newer rig fund.... at some point you will have enough money in your saved side envelope to move up 10 years or further.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last spring we (Wife and I) Bought a used jeep. Been my dream to own a jeep for a long time.. Everyone, assorted insurance agents, Dealer, police, all told even the adjuster from nationwide Insurance (NOT National Interstate but Nationwide) that we had a few days where the "Existing automoblie policy" (We lived in a class A) wouyld coer the new pruchase.... ell 4 days after I was handed the keys, WIfe ran it into a tree, Totaled both her and the car.

All I ask Nationwide to do was sign the financial responsibility form and return it to SC.

They refused, Seems they do not think the Motor home is a "Automobile".

When the policy expiers.. I think I"ll do the shop around.. I'll be sure to check National Interstate.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Last spring we (Wife and I) Bought a used jeep. Been my dream to own a jeep for a long time.. Everyone, assorted insurance agents, Dealer, police, all told even the adjuster from nationwide Insurance (NOT National Interstate but Nationwide) that we had a few days where the "Existing automoblie policy" (We lived in a class A) wouyld coer the new pruchase.... ell 4 days after I was handed the keys, WIfe ran it into a tree, Totaled both her and the car.

All I ask Nationwide to do was sign the financial responsibility form and return it to SC.

They refused, Seems they do not think the Motor home is a "Automobile".

When the policy expiers.. I think I"ll do the shop around.. I'll be sure to check National Interstate.
Is your wife okay? When you said "totaled her" ..... I'm hoping that doesn't mean what I'm thinking it means!

Tags
insurance