Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I was hoping to hit the road by mid-September, but a trip to the dermatologist yesterday could have blown those plans. I've had skin cancer for ten years - haven't had much problem with it in the last six, but yesterday I had four biopsies and the GREAT doctor that I saw is sure that two of them are basal cell - like I've had dozens of times before. A third one is pretty serious because it's a regrowth of a really bad one I had surgery on ten years ago - it was so bad they had to remove the skin from my neck and graft it underneath my eye. And the other one, on my upper arm, he is really concerned about. I'm trying not to think of the "M" word, but I'm pretty worried too. And I'm angry because it's been there for at least a year and numerous VA doctors have seen it and brushed it off!! It's on my vaccine mark on my arm - and it would never heal. Isn't that a sign of cancer?? Duh! The eye surgery is going to be extensive. Follow up is imperative - and should be done with the same surgeon for at least a month afterwards. And I don't even know when they're going to do the surgery because the VA has to schedule it with a REAL doctor - LOL! I'm actually going to have surgery by a top skin cancer surgeon from CU Medical Center - not a VA doctor. PLEASE don't let that offend anyone! But any vet knows what I mean - it's a toss up as to whether you'll get a decent doctor when you go to the VA.

Anyway - I am debating whether or not to just winterize the RV and rent a place here for six months or so . . . or just head on my way when they're done chopping on me. I DON'T want to wait until next year to do the New Mexico/Arizona trip. I cannot stand the thought of being stuck in one place for a long time again! Especially not being in my HOME - my RV. I've been staying with my son and helping him out for going on three months now and I want to be back in my home! And on the road! Whine, whine, whine! Ugh!!

I thought about trying to get in with the VA in New Mexico or Arizona, but the doctor that's going to do my surgery in Denver is a top surgeon and he's even writing a book about how to do skin cancer surgery without messing up someone's face! So he MUST care about what he's doing . . . and must be good at it.

Anyway - there's nothing I can do about it but wait and see. SEND POSITIVE THOUGHTS MY WAY! Let's get me back on the road!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #2

I was hoping to hit the road by mid-September, but a trip to the dermatologist yesterday could have blown those plans. I've had skin cancer for ten years - haven't had much problem with it in the last six, but yesterday I had four biopsies and the GREAT doctor that I saw is sure that two of them are basal cell - like I've had dozens of times before. A third one is pretty serious because it's a regrowth of a really bad one I had surgery on ten years ago - it was so bad they had to remove the skin from my neck and graft it underneath my eye. And the other one, on my upper arm, he is really concerned about. I'm trying not to think of the "M" word, but I'm pretty worried too. And I'm angry because it's been there for at least a year and numerous VA doctors have seen it and brushed it off!! It's on my vaccine mark on my arm - and it would never heal. Isn't that a sign of cancer?? Duh! The eye surgery is going to be extensive. Follow up is imperative - and should be done with the same surgeon for at least a month afterwards. And I don't even know when they're going to do the surgery because the VA has to schedule it with a REAL doctor - LOL! I'm actually going to have surgery by a top skin cancer surgeon from CU Medical Center - not a VA doctor. PLEASE don't let that offend anyone! But any vet knows what I mean - it's a toss up as to whether you'll get a decent doctor when you go to the VA.

Anyway - I am debating whether or not to just winterize the RV and rent a place here for six months or so . . . or just head on my way when they're done chopping on me. I DON'T want to wait until next year to do the New Mexico/Arizona trip. I cannot stand the thought of being stuck in one place for a long time again! Especially not being in my HOME - my RV. I've been staying with my son and helping him out for going on three months now and I want to be back in my home! And on the road! Whine, whine, whine! Ugh!!

I thought about trying to get in with the VA in New Mexico or Arizona, but the doctor that's going to do my surgery in Denver is a top surgeon and he's even writing a book about how to do skin cancer surgery without messing up someone's face! So he MUST care about what he's doing . . . and must be good at it.

Anyway - there's nothing I can do about it but wait and see. SEND POSITIVE THOUGHTS MY WAY! Let's get me back on the road!!
Old 08-23-2008, 02:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Your health is the most important item. Go to the nearest hill and scream until you are tired and out of energy. Accept the short term setback for the long term gain....... Many, many trips.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
When a serious or complicated medical condition arises, we have two choices; fight it or give in.

I've chosen to fight it.

I'm stuck here for another 5 weeks for treatments, but my doctor and I have already discussed me giving myself injections, and he is very supportive.

I'm not ready to give up my fulltiming lifestyle, and it doesn't sound like you are either.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM   #5

It's basal cell - not Melanoma! Whew!! Surgery on Sept. 10th and I'll be in New Mexico in time for the Balloon Festival!! I'm dancing on the rooftop!! Woo Hoo!!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
GraciesMom,
That's good news! You'll be on your way soon. Positive thoughts coming your way. AZ is a good place to be in the winter.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats on the dianosis. We are praying for you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #8

Our prayers are with you.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #9

I had a malignant melanoma removed from my back several years ago and after some feeling sorry for myself, I got back to doing normal or more than normal. We have been in 39 states since the cancer. I go to the dermatologist twice a year (birthday and 6 months from birthday) and he goes over me with a magnifying glass and slices off anything that looks in the least suspicious. Get out there and see the USA and enjoy yourself.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #10

Glad it was a basal (or as I call them "a BCC). I just had another one removed this week on my left shoulder. That is the second one for that shoulder. Have also had one removed from my right shoulder and middle of chest. In February had a Squamas cell removed from lower lip --- that one was something else, the doc did what is called a "MOS" procedure and did a great job -- only problem was they had to almost cut off my lower lip to get it all and it took 105 stitches to put it back on. Can hardly notice now and most of the feeling is coming back. I life guarded when I was growing up in Texas for three years and that is what I am paying for now -- have only had these problems "pop up" the last two years.

Hope you have seen the last of yours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #11

Wow David - you sound like me!! I have a plastic chin and a surgical "cleft" where it was inserted. I have had three skin flap procedures on my nose. I had to have skin grafted from my neck to underneath my right eye for a really extensive one. They removed most of my left eyelid and rebuilt it. And they removed my right upper lip and rebuilt that too. The only good thing about all that surgery - my sweet surgeon said he'd done enough surgeries on my to pay for his lake cabin, so the last time I went in, I came out with a face lift and a laser resurfacing! LOL! I couldn't believe it - didn't look anything like the person that went into surgery when he was done!! (Thank goodness . . .)

I've ALWAYS had the MOH's procedure done, but the VA did a scrape and burn procedure on my chest and arm - horrible thing to go through in my opinion. If they'd been little it would have been different but they were bigger than a dime and DEEP. The VA is going to schedule a MOH's procedure to be done by CU medical center on my face - I was really sweating having my face operated on by a resident or intern . . . just waiting to hear when they're going to do the surgery and praying it's in time for me to head out October 1!!! Let's hope we BOTH have seen the last of skin cancer - and doctors with knives!!
Old 09-07-2008, 05:12 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Glad to hear that it wasn't the M word.Keep that great attitude up I believe it's all in the attitude.Laughing and smiling is the best medicine.Sending a big virtual HUG and health vibes your way, get ready here they come Peabody
Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 AM   #13

Hope that your MOHs precedure goes as mine did --- can hardly notice anything different. I had it on the lower lip and another place between my lip and my chin. Neither one shows up very much.

I laugh when I hear the term "burn off" one of the "pre-cancer" spots on your body. As you know -- the "burning" is freezing it with liquid nitrogen. It is amazing how that works -- I have had probably 60 to 70 of the pre-cancerous spots "burned" from my arms over the last 18 months. But, I do have to say that way is better than the knife.

Have a great procedure and a speedy recovery. OH, I am getting the staples taken out of my shoulder this next week -- have 14 of them in there now along with about 20 stitches holding together the last removal. That particular BCC was small on top and deep inside.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #14

Yeah they froze two pre-cancerous lesions but the other two they scraped with a scalpel and literally BURNED the tissue and scraped etc. I'm going to be wearing big necklaces the rest of my life! If we ever end up in the same neck of the woods, we need to get together and share war stories and compare scars! LOL!! I'm sure Karen would find that amusing! LOL!! You must have had a great surgeon not to have bad scars. As good as mine was, I have the scars to show for a lifetime . . . oh well, wear hats and lots of sunscreen!