Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #1

Canoe?

We are considering a canoe and wonder if any of you have tried this and have some incite about using one in our travels. Seems like we are always by a stream or lake. We plan to put in on our toad? [moderatir edit ]

We are in Louisiana thinking about swamp tours and there cost and thinking for that kind of money we could buy a canoe!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi George,

I carry a kayak with me (on the Jeep) and very much enjoy peaceful time on the water. I bought mine on Craigslist (for cheap) to be sure I liked it before committing to a more expensive model (not sure why I would do that now).

I think the key is having your craft (kayak/canoe/whatever) on your toad so you can get it close to the water and have a system that makes loading/unloading something less than a chore. I just toss mine on the roof. I have a friend that has a rack that "folds" down making this very, very easy.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:13 AM   #3

http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Dolphin-Sq.../dp/B002GXL2C4

Without a doubt, consider a square-backed canoe and a 2.5HP motor. Wind, current and fatigue will no longer be a factor; nor will those sweet nothings that can occur when one person paddles left and the other...well, you get the picture.

We had an Old Town 16' and it was great. Wide beam and solid, but it was too heavy to lift. Something lightweight is important.

RE: kayak. Great idea, and lightweight, however: we very briefly tried one and....well, you both need to be agile enough to enter one without getting wet (not us), and colder water finds its way into your lives a lot easier than stepping into a canoe. I got the admiral out once in a kayak. Longest and loudest 5 minute ride of my life!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:47 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
What About Kayaks?

We seek out places to explore by water; is often the focus of our trips. It is a great way to get exercise and find wildlife (you need to be an early-riser to catch wildlife). We're slowing down now and stick to the larger rivers and lakes, but have explored many of America's waterways from coast-to-coast. It never gets boring -- it's a way to see parts of this great country from a perspective that most will never experience. And it's fun, too!

We have a couple kinds of kayaks. We'll switch up equipment every-now-and-then depending on the type of water we expect to find, but are now preferring the longer, tour kayaks.

Rent a couple kayaks, or even a tandem, and take a couple short trips. Be sure to take your camera -- there will be a lot of great photographic opportunities! I think you will like kayaks more than canoes (and they are more stable, as well).

\ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0920c.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	83183   Click image for larger version

Name:	10_0573.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	83184  

Name:	100_0206c.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	83187  
Attached Images

Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Be sure to take your camera -- there will be a lot of great photographic opportunities!
This is one of my favorite shots!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0245c.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	83186  
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Weight is one of the most important factors in your canoe/kayak decision.

Although I agree with the versatility of the flatback canoe with the motor, my 19' Old Town flatback weighs about 119 lbs empty. Not something you're going to easily throw on top of your toad. Plus you have the logistics of storing a motor, gas tank or deep cycle battery, etc.

There are some REALLY light Kevlar canoes that I used in the Boundary Waters of MN. Expensive but a breeze to carry from the toad to the launch area.

Kayaks are great if your DW wants to do her own paddling but then you have to buy two boats. Double kayaks are available but again they start to get heavy.

One other point is not to buy anything new. MANY people buy canoes or kayaks and then don't use them. Look on Craigslist or local auctions.

Good luck!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #7

Agreed on the wider touring kayaks, but still need to be fairly agile to enter and exit them. If you don't have bad wheels and can get down and up easily, then a vote for a Kayak. If joint pain keeps that from being a fun endeavor, then a canoe because you can hold onto the gunnels for support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Plus you have the logistics of storing a motor, gas tank or deep cycle battery, etc.

Most two-stroke outboard motors have internal gas tanks good for a few hours of idling along, and are pull-start, so no need for a batter. My 2.5HP weighed 29 pounds.

One other point is not to buy anything new. MANY people buy canoes or kayaks and then don't use them. Look on Craigslist or local auctions.

Amen to that!

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #8

We tow this more than the toad. Water is one of our main destinations. Sometimes we compromise and the Harleys go on the bottom and boats all on top. We can put the canoe or the two kayaks on the top of the car also but prefer taking the bikes.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #9

I have been paddling canoes since I was a teenager. About 50 years ago, I was an instructor in a whitewater canoeing class. After some class room sessions, we did a trip to a river in northern Wisconsin. It was April, and very cold. One of the students was a very pretty girl, who dumped in the first rapid. I fished her out of the river, and made a fire. This summer, we will celebrate 45 years of marriage.

Let me offer some advice. Anybody can hop into a canoe and paddle away. They will zigzag all over, and arrive at their destination completely exhausted and screaming at each other. With efficient paddle strokes, you can make the canoe go in a straight line, and glide with minimal effort. Unfortunately, proper paddle technique is not obvious. Take some lessons. Many canoe clubs give lessons. For your area, see Missouri Paddling Information | Missouri Whitewater Association. These clubs are into whitewater, but they may also offer basic instruction.

Next, buying a canoe involves choosing between more variables than does buying an RV. Canoes can be made of fiberglass, kevlar, a variety of plastics, wood (with any of several different construction methods), or aluminum. I currently own an 18', kevlar canoe that weighs 45 lbs. In other materials it could weigh as much as 90 lbs. The photos below, show one of the advantages of a light canoe.

Canoes are designed for many different purposes, that are determined by the length, beam (width), and general hull shape. A canoe may be good for general touring, wilderness tripping, marathon racing, fishing, whitewater, slalom racing, ad infinitum. There is no such thing as a canoe that is good for everything. See Canoe Design | CANOEING.COM Canoe Guide for a good basic course in hull design.

Good canoes are not cheap. You can easily spend $2K or more for a well made, light weight canoe. If you want to buy used, many outfitters sell off their rental canoes at the end of the season. Try some of the outfitters at the Boundary Waters.

Finally, if you would like to discuss any aspect in more detail, feel free to PM me.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	canoe1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	83196   Click image for larger version

Name:	canoe2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	83197  

Name:	canoe3.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	313.5 KB
ID:	83198  
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Kayak's,
There are two design of Yaks: set-in and set on top. The set in is just that. The set-on-top is much the same except the inside is covered with snap-on covers. When setting on top there are skupper holes that allow water to enter and leave where you and your gear is setting. Do you get wet??? Some but not bad. You won't set in water all day. When you paddle the water runs out of the yak. The set-in yaks won't sink. They won't fill up with water and you don't have a skirt around your waist. The set in's are mostly for white water.

Look for specific fishing yak. Something in the 12 to 13+ ft range. If you get much longer then they become to heavy. They are broader and more stable. I actually fly fish out of mine. Mine is a Hobie Quest about 65#. It also has a rudder, rod holders and internal storage. And a small anchor system so I can drop it easily.

As far as single or tandem? Well it's simple. With two on-board things can get dicey. They are also a lot heavier. Most couples will get two yaks and avoid the weight issue when only one wants to go out. I can manage my yak myself. I've got a set of wheels that fit on the bottom so the yak can be rolled easily. Yakima makes some nifty systems for loading and un-loading. I've got their Hully-Roller system. It has a set of wheels for rolling the yak onto the roof.

I'm 70 but in good shape and I wouldn't want a yak much heavier than what I have. It's not the weight so much as the bulk.

TeJay
Old 01-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #11

Try this one, have it a love VERY VERY stable, easy to sit in and get in and out of due to seats.

http://www.nativewatercraft.com/boat.cfm?id=7
RMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Joel has said pretty much the same thing I would have. Canoes are lighter than kayaks and more versatil since you can carry more. Instruction is the key to having fun instead of struggling. If you've got the money, a Kevlar canoe is so much lighter to carry and car-top! My standard phrase is "the older I get, the lighter my boat gets!". DH and I are down to only 5 canoes now- 2 tandems and 3 solos (though I am trying to sell one of the solos). We do day trips, lake trips, river trips, and multi-day canoe camping trips (with tents, not the trailer).
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:27 AM   #13

As stated above hull design and weight are the two most critical considerations. What's good to paddle streams and marshes may not be so good for longer distance flat water.

We have both canoe's and kayaks and what we take along depends on where we expect to paddle. Big lakes and rivers (and taking the dog) we like the Mad River canoe which is just over 16' long. For exploring streams and marshes we prefer the kayaks which are shorter (14') and easier to maneuver.

For my solo day trips I've gotten tired of the kayaks and being stuck in one position all day long. They are more efficient to paddle but this year I plan on moving back to an open solo boat that's lighter and just as efficient. That move will cost me around $3,000 but will also cut the weight in half as the new boat is under 30 pounds and a lot easier to carry between lakes and streams. Placid Boatworks RapidFire
Old 01-20-2015, 05:40 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have both a canoe and multiple kayaks. Most recently I purchased a 2 man kayak, it serves it's purpose, which was for my wife to be able to take her dog with us. The kayaks however are outliving their usefulness as it is getting harder and harder to get in and out of. We will probably migrate back to the canoe, easier to in and out of and can also carry my wife's 2 dogs.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote