Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Car Accident - advice please

So wife was driving home from work tonight here in Denver. A car next to her hit their brakes on an ice patch, spun out and hit our 2012 CRV in drivers door. Got pulled off the road and another 5 or so cars spun out in same area. One hit guard rail and hit our crv in the rear end with wife in the car. She is going to ER in the morning as she is not sure if hurt or not. Neck and back are stiff and she is shaken.

My question. Do I file a claim with my insurance or file on he other two cars?

We have full coverage with a 500.00 deductible.

How do we get reimbursed for that and does this count against us when asked if we ever filed a claim?

How do you figure out how to reimbursed for medical costs?

Have never filed a claim in my life so don't know what to do.

Thanks
Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 11:34 PM   #2

File against the people that hit her, I am unfortunately going through the process myself, I got hit while turning into my driveway about 3 weeks ago.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
File against the people that hit her, I am unfortunately going through the process myself, I got hit while turning into my driveway about 3 weeks ago.
Ugh - I knew I was dumb. I started my claim with usaa before thinking it through
Old 04-29-2017, 11:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Call your insurance agent. It is their JOB to make you whole and will be able to answer all your questions. If you wait till tomorrow for medical evaluation, you leave yourself open to "Your injury was made worse by waiting".
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:44 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It is your insurance that covers YOU. It is the responsibility of your insurance to recover their losses by seeking damages against the outer parties. YOUR INSURANCE has to make you whole. In other words the insurance companies settle up after making their insured parties whole. Call your agent now!!!
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
X-2 what Adam said! ^^^^^^^^

Call your insurance co. immediately! Rail!
Old 04-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Call usaa and ask them what you should do. Let the experts do their job.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Call usaa and ask them what you should do. Let the experts do their job.
Gotta love it - they are closed for the weekend
Old 04-30-2017, 12:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Find your insurance card that you are required by law to have in the vehicle, and call the 800 # on it! All insurance co's have a 24 hour call #'s!
Most require you to call immediately after you have had the accident! It is a good idea to take pic's, if able to, before you move the car's! Get as much info from the other party's involved also! Good luck! Rail!
Old 04-30-2017, 12:55 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
The telephone number on my usaa card is 800-531-usaa
Old 04-30-2017, 01:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
The telephone number on my usaa card is 800-531-usaa
Yep, that's the one I called. Since I put in a claim earlier all it gives me is the option to leave a message with my adjuster. I have used the communicate function and sent them messages that they are supposed to reply to I. 4 hrs. Not yet!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Firstly, I'm so happy there seem to be no life changing injuries.

From your brief description I'll bet there is going to be a long drawn out argument over who started it. With over 30 years working for the State Farm Ins auto claim department I'd recommend you let your insurance company take care of anything and everything they can. You'll get your car repaired or replaced much sooner and with less stress. You probably have some medical coverage on your policy to cover the actual med bills related to the accident, if it is not enough your health coverage will pick up the slack.

Once a payment has been made to you or on your behalf your insurance company will seek reimbursement from those they feel are responsible. As a courtesy they will typically include your deductible portion in their reimbursement requests.

Any compensation for "pain and suffering", lost wages, or any other out of pocket expenses directly related to the accident, but not covered by your insurance, you'll have to work with the responsible party's company directly (from your description it doesn't seem hiring an attorney, at least at this point, would be worth the cost of doing so. Those costs come out of your share, they can not be recovered from the other insurance company). Again, based solely on your brief description I'd try and keep it simple and go after the car that first spun out hitting your wife on the theory that "he started it" and that none of the rest would have happened without that initial event. This tactic may or may not work. I can tell you that having handled similar multiple negligent party cases I have (not often) been able to convince those representing the "bad guys" to decide who will handle the claim with the victim, the two of them can then work on who actually owes what portion of your total damages among themselves after the fact. Not easy to do, they'll both be afraid of "overpaying" their portion. Bottom line, however, if they can't agree among themselves they can always file for binding arbitration, avoiding court costs.

Good luck. We had one serious claim a couple years after I retired. My experience was no help what-so-ever in negotiating fair treatment from the Liberty Mutual, who represented the idiot that rear ended me. Ended up having to get my brother-in-law, an injury attorney, involved. Once again, from your description this case does not seem to be anywhere as serious.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
It is your insurance that covers YOU. It is the responsibility of your insurance to recover their losses by seeking damages against the outer parties. YOUR INSURANCE has to make you whole. In other words the insurance companies settle up after making their insured parties whole. Call your agent now!!!
This is exactly right. We learned the hard way, my wife was hit/broadsided by a drunk driver totaled her vehicle, luckily she was only bruised up.

We dealt directly with his insurance company, after negotiating the vehicle cost we were told that they would compensate for lost work etc with another check. When we contacted them again they said no more $$, we would have to take them to court. We didn't but hard lesson learned.

Were police reports filed, were citations issued.

Let your insurance company handle this, it is too complicated for an average person to navigate.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #14

Thanks Jim and Jay - great advice. I will call the adjuster on Monday. Wife is going in to be checked out this morning.

Tags
advice