Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #1

car rental for year?

Has anyone tried 'rental package for a year'?.....we are looking into NOT towing a vehicle and see if we can obtain a yearly rental package for a car....probably would use it on occasion....for example....3 months in winter?.....couple of destinations in summer....cost?, feasibility? ....convenience of renting?.....etc.
slackdog

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were planning the same, but was going to rent by the month. We did not plan to stay more than a month in one spot.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I don't understand why you'd need to rent for a year if you're only going to use it "occasionally." Before we bought our motorhome, we used to rent them for family vacations. When we got to our destination, we'd call the closest Enterprise rental and they would deliver a vehicle to the campground for us. It worked very well, but we usually were in "touristy" areas where there was access to rental vehicles.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you're talking about an agreement with some car rental agency which would give you discounted rates if you commit to rent cars from them for a minimum of XX number of days over the course of a year?

In a past life, I used Hertz and Enterprise a lot and don't recall ever seeing such an offering nor have I ever heard anyone here on the forum mention one. Not sure how they would work.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Even your profile does not list what your RV is, but assuming it is big enough to pull a toad I'd shop for a 5 to 10 year old Jeep Wrangler, you may even be able to find one all set up as a toad already. A year's depreciation on a good used Jeep will be less than one or two months car rental. Insurance per month would be about the same as 3 or 4 days on the rental car. (Don't count on your personal car insurance providing coverage for a long term rental. There are typically limits on how long the coverage will be provided for a non-owned car.)
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe
A year's depreciation on a good used Jeep will be less than one or two months car rental. Insurance per month would be about the same as 3 or 4 days on the rental car. (Don't count on your personal car insurance providing coverage for a long term rental. There are typically limits on how long the coverage will be provided for a non-owned car.)
This seems like very good advice.

IMO pulling a toad is no big deal.... and is a great convenience and big part of enjoying the RV experience. If you spent the money on the RV, then you owe it to yourself to anti-up the $$$ for a suitable toad solution.

A "rental" is simply the wrong tool for the job!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #7

Rental for year?

thanks to all who replied to my Rental Post.....will probably hook up our 2012 chev equinox.....like u said.........part of the camping experience......our rig (just bought through an estate sale....fixing it up)...is a 97 Beaver Monterey...36 ft.....cat 300 ....allison....
Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackdog View Post
thanks to all who replied to my Rental Post.....will probably hook up our 2012 chev equinox.....like u said.........part of the camping experience......our rig (just bought through an estate sale....fixing it up)...is a 97 Beaver Monterey...36 ft.....cat 300 ....allison....
Good decision! We tried the rental for 2 years and it was a PITA if you are not at or near a large city or tourist area. Once we had to stop and puck up a rental and my DW had to follow me 60 miles to the campground.

Now we will be traveling with a TOAD. We went the dolly route (Kar Kaddy SS) because it allow us to tow any of our cars without a tow bar set up on all of them.

Your made the right choice with the TOAD!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
I did rent cars from Hertz for more than a month at a time when I was doing insurance investigations. At day 30 Hertz would charge the value of the vehicle to my credit card, you can imagine my surprise the first time this occurred. Due to the needs of having multiple vehicles renting was acceptable, however, for personal use for a year leasing might be the answer if you do not want to purchase but want a shiny brand new car. Good luck!