Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #1

This has happened to me on my Caddy and Saturn within a five day period. Both of the rear passenger windows made a crunching sound when rolled down and both would not roll up. The Caddy is under warranty so it was fixed at no cost. The Saturn on the other hand was out of warranty. The service adviser called to tell me that the part to fix the window, with labor, would cost $703.00. My DW took the call and asked him to repeat it as she assumed he was joking. He wasn't! I have only purchased one foreign car in my life. It seems that the vehicles I have owned, mostly the GM vehicles have had more than their share of problems.

About a year ago, cadillac service told me that I should replace the radiator hoses. I refused and when they again told me, during a routine service, I asked how much it would cost. I almost hit the floor when he said, with a straight face, $800.00. I love the way the Caddy rides but that will be the first and last one I ever purchase.

I keep telling my family, "Buy American and watch it fall apart." I think next time I will look at a Honda.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #2

This has happened to me on my Caddy and Saturn within a five day period. Both of the rear passenger windows made a crunching sound when rolled down and both would not roll up. The Caddy is under warranty so it was fixed at no cost. The Saturn on the other hand was out of warranty. The service adviser called to tell me that the part to fix the window, with labor, would cost $703.00. My DW took the call and asked him to repeat it as she assumed he was joking. He wasn't! I have only purchased one foreign car in my life. It seems that the vehicles I have owned, mostly the GM vehicles have had more than their share of problems.

About a year ago, cadillac service told me that I should replace the radiator hoses. I refused and when they again told me, during a routine service, I asked how much it would cost. I almost hit the floor when he said, with a straight face, $800.00. I love the way the Caddy rides but that will be the first and last one I ever purchase.

I keep telling my family, "Buy American and watch it fall apart." I think next time I will look at a Honda.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Try a windshield and auto glass shop, they may be more reasonable than the dealer. Maybe find out what part the dealer proposes to replace and using that information call around to a few glass shops. You might save several hundred dollars with just a few calls.

Good luck with it.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Happened to my GC both front windows within 3 weeks. Poor design. Went to local glass shop $205 each for new regulators and motors.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Good Grief!! I'm with Richard. Take the car to a local body shop and have him take a look. Chances are it is something simple that can be replaced cheaply (you might by the part at a local salvage yard and do it yourself) and easily.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:22 PM   #6

I believe in doing everything myself. I would go to an auto parts store or a book store, buy a repair manual and go to work. I have changed the motors on other vehicles. It is a small work area and a little difficult. I always believe if someone else can do something so can I. Most of the auto parts stores have web sites, you can go check the cost of parts and availabilty
Good luck
Old 06-19-2008, 03:45 AM   #7

Be glad you don't have a Grand Cherokee, our 02 has been thru 4 regulators on the driver's door and one on the passenger door. Jeep place wants near $600 to replace.
Wife's nephew is parts mgr. at the Jeep place and I can get the regulator for $150 take it to a local auto glass co (to remain unnamed) and they will do it for $40 cash. Ask any auto glass shop foreman, he'll tell you they get 3to1 more Chrysler products than any other for the same problem.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:45 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The Jeep Grand Cherokee consistently has one of the worst reliability ratings of any vehicle tested by Consumer Reports.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions. The window broke the afternoon before my trip. All I wanted to do at the time was get the darn thing fixed so I took it to the dealer. I would not even attempt to fix it myself. Next time I'll go to a window shop if I have more time.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 AM   #10

I was driving my Ram pickup into one of those tunnel car wash places. I put the driver's window down to pay, drove up to the vacuum cleaners to clean up. When I got in line for the wash, I tried to switch the window up. No go. I am in line for the automatic power wash, no way to back up, and my window is down. On a freak whim, I switched the engine off and started it up again and the window went up. Whew! After that, it didn't work again. New switch required at $430.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Chrysler that I never could get the driver's to work properly for more than a short period of time. Had it rebuilt at a dealer's in Foley, AL. It fell apart and crashed down into the door before I could drive it to Gulf Shores. Haven't had a problem with any other brand or any other Chrysler product.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote