Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Careful buying on EBAY

A recent purchase from an Ebay seller has totally turned me off and here is shy.
I saw an RV item that I wanted to bid on and the seller showed a price and a "highest offer" you would pay.
I submitted my higest offer BUT with a question on his product as it was advertised. His ad read " Tyron Bands fits 19.5/22.5 R6. So I filled out the "ask the seller a question" section asking if he was positive they fit 22.5 rims.
The Ebay reply was ,congratulations you won the bid !
I sent an email to the seller "Isanta1" and said i asked you a question you did not answer. Isanta1, replied YES they will fit 22.5 but make sure this is what you want because I offer no refunds. Shame on me, as that should have been a clu. So they came and NO they did not fit 22.5 and I emailed the seller and he said " your tire dealer does not know how to mount them so no refund.
I filed a case with Ebay and exchanged all of this sellers emails even a reply from a Tyron distributor who stated that they will not fit and I was lied to.
After 4 more emails to the seller he stopped replying and I asked Ebay to escalate the problem further. after 15 minutes on a Saturday night I received a reply from Ebay that they sided with the seller, case closed.
So it is ok to false advertise and mislead on Ebay and Ebay will side with the seller that is obviously paying comission to them.
Be careful on Ebay, be very careful .

Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
I quit selling there after they instituted the no bad reviews for buyers rule. And now there's the no refunds policy that they seem to have.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Wow, I don't buy on ebay, very often. I appreciate your advise, I had not heard about their no negative comments. But base on what you have said, no more ebay for me
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used to use eBay quite a bit. Changes in policy have over the years made it so I use it infrequently.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Wow, I don't buy on ebay, very often. I appreciate your advise, I had not heard about their no negative comments. But base on what you have said, no more ebay for me
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I quit selling there after they instituted the no bad reviews for buyers rule. And now there's the no refunds policy that they seem to have.
You seem to have misread or misunderstood some points. No bad reviews for BUYERS means that a merchant (seller) can't leave a negative comment. A Buyer can still leave negative feedback on a SELLER.

A NO REFUND POLICY is something a Merchant (seller) is free to set, but I'd not buy from anyone with that condition on something purchased sight unseen. Most experienced buyers won't either and the Merchant will find their business will suffer.

I buy quite a few items for various hobbies and projects and have had hundreds of successful transactions often saving big $$ over other sources of items I desire. Just use common sense and READ and UNDERSTAND all the sellers descriptions and conditions. Often it also takes careful analysis of what has NOT been said or shown to know when to not buy something, but that's true of all advertising, not just Ebay.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
When something like this happens, and what you say is true, it's reasonably easy to prove the item you received is 'not as advertised'. If you follow established procedures for handling things like this, paypal will generally settle in your favor. OR, if you fund your paypal payment with a credit card (NOT a debit card!), you can make your claim directly to the credit card company and win nearly every time! Know the rules, and play by them, and Ebay is generally a safe place to buy and sell.

KNOW WHAT YOU ARE BUYING. Use due deligence in checking the product out, and don't bid on anything until you're confident you knw what's going on with it.

Sorry for the bad experience, but I will remain an Ebay seller and buyer.

I have to ask, do the tires indicate they are 22.5" on the sidewall? Is the dealer you went to capable of installing 22.5" tires? Many are not. You need somebody that's able to work on trucks!
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Got my mh on eBay, great buy!!
Dave and Laura & two cats
02 Discovery with Accord toad
retired auto rv tech and teacher, wife rt nurse
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is often called E-BAIT.

I had one bad experience buying something and the seller shipped and billed me twice. After a lot of fighting, I finally got the CC credited for the second shipment and he never sent me a return procedure for the extra I was shipped. I posted a bad review and I started getting harassed by a foreign "gentleman" by emails. I tracked his phone number down and I have never met such a rude merchant. He demanded that I retract my review and to post the problem was caused by my inability to use EBay properly.

With Ebays intervention, I got my money and he went away, but never did ask for the second item back.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
I have used ebay for many years, both buying and selling (I have over 800 transactions, about 2/3rds are purchases). I have had a few minor problems, in those cases the amount of money, including shipping, was less than $6.00 and probably due to my misreading the description. I only got stiffed once, on a $7.00 memory card from Hong Kong, I don't buy anything from there anymore. Most of what I have bought or sold are vintage car parts and I find the majority of the people in the hobby are very honest and usually make it clear if they are not experts on a particular item and provide detailed photos/ descriptions. I've even bought several cars on ebay and they turned out to be as-described with few surprises. I did spend time talking to the sellers prior to committing a bid. Ebay's "nanny seller" policies have driven many vintage auto parts sellers away, along with ebay's increasing fees and higher shipping costs that have further eroded the concept of buying/selling large unique items, so I don't trade much there anymore.
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
I have been using ebay for going on 15 years. I used to sell lots there but in the past 5+ years, I mostly buy there. There's a lot of hoops and work for a seller nowadays and sometimes it's simply not worth the effort. Buying is pretty straightforward and ebay/paypal just about always sides with a buyer if there's any problem. As a seller, I can tell you that you can live in fear of a buyer filing for a refund even if there are no issues with the item whatsoever. A buyer can leave unwarranted negative feedback. If the postal system is slow, a buyer can ding you for that and there's nothing you can do. So far, I have a perfect 100% feedback score. (Whew)

Like road dogs, I also used to buy and sell a ton of vintage car parts and am at 550 feedback currently. Regretfully, ebay killed that market and it's hard to vintage car parts there now. (Whole other long rant for another day.)

Sorry, but firstly, it sounds like you failed to do your own research to determine if the item is suited to your purpose. You can't always trust what a seller says. If you were uncertain, and didn't get an answer from the seller, you shouldn't have placed a bid in the first place.

Secondly, if you didn't get an answer and were still unsure about the item's suitability for your use, you should have cancelled your bid if you had already placed one. You shouldn't have let your bid just sit there waiting for an answer from the seller while you weren't 100% sure yourself it was the correct item.

I hate to rain on your parade, but it simply sounds like you aren't familiar with ebay and how it all works and what being a smart buyer is. Buying on ebay nowadays is tyipcally pretty safe and straightforward and ebay/paypal will side with buyers when there's issues. It's WAY better for buyers than it used to be.

The claim process is straightforward. As long as you haven't missed the deadlines, you just file your claim and wait for the process to go through. If you've already received an item, you're most likely going to have to eat the return shipping cost unless the seller has specified otherwise.

Tyron bands seem to be a British flat "tyre" device for "caravans". Are you in England? Tryon does have a website that should have tech. info. to learn exactly what you needed. Did you check there at all? Or did you check to see if you could purchase it elsewhere? Just curious.

I don't often buy RV items on ebay. If there's something you really want, you need to google the item and find the lowest price (item cost + shipping) that's out there. For example, RV items that are sold by online vendors are generally cheaper because there isn't the ebay fee built into the item cost. If it's a rare or obsolete item, you may have no choice in buying from ebay. A LOT of stuff on ebay is overpriced. You must shop around.... I often find that some online vendors sell items for around 1/2 of the highest cost out there. Prices can be all over the map.

If you think ebay is a problem, try sorting out problems with Amazon. We bought something directly from Amazon and due to their negligence, the item came damaged and had to be returned. There is NO human that you can talk to on the phone and there's no live help or email. We had to absorb the return shipping cost. I'm really wary if buying on Amazon now. They can also be overpriced.

Anyway, I'm certain you'll get a refund if you ship the item back (in accordance with ebay policy). As I said, you may lose on the return shipping cost. Your alternative would be to list them on ebay yourself. I hope it all works out for you in the end and on the positive side, it's part of the learning experience for the future.
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS & Ford F250 supercab V10 4x4 LB
Langley, B.C.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
BFlinn181 Perhaps you misunderstood as the last email I received from Ebay was that my negative feedback was removed from the sellers site.!
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
iRV2 No Limits Club
As always buyer beware.

I also can see e-bay removing the buyers negative comments,
as they sided with the seller.

From my past dealing on e-bay, posts #5 and 6 say it all.
We are K&K for Kathy & Ken - Both retired.
She accounting, he Law Enforcement
Oldme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I BUY and SELL on eBay when needed and my only complaint is that their selling fees are now 10% of the total transaction, item and shipping cost.

That's ridiculous! And then you have to pay more to get your money using PayPal.

FEES, FEES, and more FEES!

I have had questionable transactions but ALL of them were resolved quickly and agreeably.

The most recent one where I had ordered a Green Bay Packers license plate and when it came the plate was BLACK.

Emailed the seller and he apologized immediately and sent me out a GREEN one the very next day without asking for the black one back.

When using ANY Internet site for buying or selling, Craigslist for example, you have to be very careful who you are dealing with.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
I have done eBay business for a number of years as a buyer, but not seller. It requires due diligence on the part of the buyer, know the product and the eBay rules and you are just as safe as doing mail order or in-store purchases. If it sounds too good to be true ---!

2007 Dutch Star 4320
2010 Mazda Miata 6 speed
Roadmaster tow
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote