RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2020, 08:10 PM   #1

Cash Offer for MH

I am parked next to my son's house and and just happened to be in the MH waking up from a nap. I hear a car horn honking and some one yelling. So I go out to see what ruckus was about.

Someone ask if I want to sell my MH. No!

They say they have cash.

No!

They ask what it is worth. I throw out a number. They ask a few more questions and make me a high offer.

Still no!

So what is going on? I have been asked before if I wanted to sell but never got passed the first 'no'.

Is this a new kind game targeting old people?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #2

Sounds fishy. Keep your head on a swivel. Remember what they and the car looked like.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
I am parked next to my son's house and and just happened to be in the MH waking up from a nap. I hear a car horn honking and some one yelling. So I go out to see what ruckus was about.

Someone ask if I want to sell my MH. No!

They say they have cash.

No!

They ask what it is worth. I throw out a number. They ask a few more questions and make me a high offer.

Still no!

So what is going on? I have been asked before if I wanted to sell but never got passed the first 'no'.

Is this a new kind game targeting old people?
When you say the made a high offer was it more than the number you threw out. If so run for the hills no one in their right mind would pay more than what you are asking.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had someone , well two someones, come thru my gate, down my driveway, round to the house, and ask if I wanted to sell my old beater class c. I had the same response. No!

They seemed fishy. I concluded, rightfully or not, that they were casing the area. My house was at the end of a long one lane road; the road terminated at my gate. They weren’t just passing through.

Not that it may or may not be, or rather have been, pertinent (dissect that one, Pedants!), but they were...well never mind what they were. Don’t want to get into that. But they clearly “weren’t from ‘round here....”

And yes I’m into the wines again tonight - this time a very nice home made 2016 GSM. Or is it GMS. Well Grenache, Syrah, and Mourvedre. A very local blend.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundwaldo View Post
When you say the made a high offer was it more than the number you threw out. If so run for the hills no one in their right mind would pay more than what you are asking.
That is why I was skeptical.

In the last years I have been asked if I wanted to sell my Del Sol and tow dolly but a simple no is all it takes to change the conversation to general interest.

Since MIL and DW have passed, I have become surprised by the number of outright fraud attempts. I am not sure what in the public record triggers it. Also I know this has been experienced by others.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:54 PM   #6

I had a similar thing happen to me when I was in my driveway working on my TT. There were two guys and they wanted to buy my TT and my 2004 Nissan Titan. They told me they had "cash money" in their pockets. I don't recall the specifics of their offer but it wasn't unreasonably high. I was, in fact, getting ready to sell but hadn't yet advertised so it had to be a drive-by. Needless to say, I didn't bite, it just seemed fishy. A couple of weeks later a guy (I swear it was one of the two) called with the same pitch.

My other favorite is the phone callers who want to negotiate over the phone without even seeing the rig. Several of these told me that they're looking for an RV for their sister to buy.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:07 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Haven't experienced that with our motorhome, but we get cards and letters in the mail almost every day letting us know that there are people with cash looking to buy our house. I keep telling my wife if they come to the door with $5.75M they can have the house! I think if someone wee to ask if they could buy our motorhome I's say "Sure - just give me $1.5M and once your money is safely in my bank I'll sign over the title!"
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:46 AM   #8

Wow. How can you go wrong with cash? Maybe counterfeit?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
Wow. How can you go wrong with cash? Maybe counterfeit?
We got one of those pens to detect counterfeit for cash transactions. About 20 years ago, we had a guy stop at the house wanting to buy our old beater Toyota diesel pickup. As I balked he upped his offer until Nancy smacked me and said take it! The guy pulled out his wallet and peeled off hundred dollar bills. Nan checked them with the pen and off he went. Only vehicle we ever sold at a profit.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:02 AM   #10

Wow, cash is cash. Take him to the bank and let them take the cash and credit your account.

Please someone offer me cash for more than anything I have is worth. It's yours.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Wow, cash is cash. Take him to the bank and let them take the cash and credit your account.

Please someone offer me cash for more than anything I have is worth. It's yours.
x2...
trampsrv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #12

….agree--define "cash offer?"....unless it is a suitcase full of 100s, just go to a bank to conclude the transaction--once the bank accepts the funds--the "cash" is in your account??????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #13

If I am going to make an offer (less than the asking) on a used vehicle or anything for that matter. I always bring CASH. I may be wrong but I feel like I am going to make the best deal that way.
Especially cars and trucks. Used car salesmen seem to take a deep breath when I put an envelope full of $100 dollar bills on the desk and make my pitch.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

What part of NO is hard to understand?

There are two parts to this issue. It is ok to ask someone if they they want to sell something but no should be an expected answer.

The second part is that old people are often the target of con artists. When there is a death in the family it is an opportunity for con artists to exploit the situation. For example, robbing the house while the family is at the funeral.

There comes a point in your life when money is less important than the memories that go along with something you do not want to sell.

Tags
offer