Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #1

Cell Phone Numbers Go Public.

To All Members:

REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.
REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:
888-382-1222.
It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked.
You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON. It takes about 20 seconds.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Airtool ---
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Have had that in Canada for a while, some still call. At one point the do not call lists were being sold to telemarketers, only in Canada eh?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #3

According to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) that your cell number being released is a rumor that's been around for several years.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #4

Cell Phone Numbers Going Public? - Urban Legends

Been going public next month since 2004....

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yep - this one's been around the block a few times!
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #6

Interesting! I had registered our phones back years ago and we started getting calls again.
This info. popped up again an so I called two weeks ago. The calls stopped.
Go figure.

Airtool.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I never get telemarketing calls on my phone. However, I am very protective of my number. I hate it when I go in to a store and they want my phone number. NOPE. They can have my zip code but not my number. When filling out warranty cards, never give them your phone number. If there is a recall they are NOT going to call you. There is no need for them to have this information or the amount of my yearly income (another pet peeve). If I'm on a web site that requires a phone number for what ever reason I give them 555-1212. A lot of times I will use my old land line number too. They don't know till they try to use it that it is disconnected.
BransGram08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy View Post
Have had that in Canada for a while, some still call. At one point the do not call lists were being sold to telemarketers, only in Canada eh?
Actually the Canadian Bureaucrats deemed that the lists be given away to any company requesting the "No Call List" so that these companies would know not call you. Naive eh?

What happened though was some entrepreneur then started obtaining copies of the lists and selling them to offshore telemarketers as confirmed valid numbers. These offshore people did not have to comply with the Canadian do not call lists and had numbers in good standing to call.

If you want your name pulled from these callers lists just keep a few of the on the line for as long as you can and let them chose to hang up. In a few weeks you should be off the company lists and no longer be bothered. They get paid on call volume not length of call.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't like getting the calls. But when I do get one I enjoy asking them personal questions. Where are you? How tall are you? What color hair do you have? They usually hang up on me pretty quick.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LOL Telemarketers:
Just say you have reached the telemarketers suicide prevention line, please hold and your call will be answered in the order it was received!
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I put our cells on the do not call list when we got them. Now the only calls we get are the stupid ones that we are political and the ones that ask for money. Those are still legally able to call all phone numbers
Old 01-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I down loaded a call blocking app for my droid phone a couple of weeks ago. It works and it's free!! If someone calls and they are not in my phone book they go directly to voice mail, my phone does not ring. I review the call log and those I want to talk to I add to the white list and the next time they call my phone rings. If I do not want to talk to them I add them to the black list and the next time they call they get NOTHING. My phone is very quite.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have caller ID, I pick up, and hang up in one easy step. They stop calling.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No need to list Cell Phone numbers on the Do Not call, the law that creates the Do Not Call already "lists" all cell phone numbers.. In case you wonder it's Title 47 section 227 of the US code. And it prohibits several types of calls including all sales "Cold Calls" to a cell phone without prior permission (If you give permission it is a "Warm Call" by the way) and it also prohibits calls to deliver a pre-recorded or computer generated voice message.

What it does not do is authorize any agency to go after the violators.

IT does, however, allow YOU to go after them.