Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #15

This is an "urban legend" that has been circuating for years. Fortunately, it is not sol.

See the Snopes write up at:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #16

Our Cell phone has a un-published number, even information can't access/see it. We do get a random computer-dialed telemarketer about once a year. It is easy to recognize; when you say hello there is silence. The computer has recognized that you answered and is transferring you to a human.
We got two text messages from telemarketers a few years ago. Cingular said the only way to stop them was to stop the texting feature so we did. Now we don't miss texting at all, plus- enjoy a lower monthly bill!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 AM   #17

We have registered our home & 2 cell phones with the National "Do Not Call Registry." So far it's worked pretty well by eliminating most all annoying calls.

Here's the site:https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

When we receive unsolicited calls I report them to the Do Not call Registry.

I would highly recommend all with phones do this, doesn't cost anything.

Best regards, Jim

P.S. they won't take any action on the political calls. When I get those I either tell them I'm voting for the other person, or say "the next sound you hear will be the dial tone"--LOL

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
I find I get blacklisted really fast from telemarketers when they call the land line, I just treat it like a phone sex line . My objective is to see just how fast I can make them hang up. My record is 29 seconds
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #19

How they get the numbers is from different places.They buy list from catalog companys that you have delt with,from tel company lists of cell block numbers and use randum calling as stated befor.I quit deeling with catalog companys and buy from the store and never put out my phone number.Radio shack uses the phone number as a id number for all transactions you make with them,they sell thoese numbers also.They say they don't,but friends that work there say they do.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is a hoax as 99.9% of the people already know. Cell numbers have NOT been opened for telemarketing at all. Cell numbers can be called by companied YOU have done business with and for political calls, ONLY.

We have had cell phones only for over 4 years and during that time, I can count the undesired calls on one finger, literally. And we have NOT registered with the 'do not call' list.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM   #21

90 percent of the stupid calls we get are from the provider. They just "know" that we want to hear about the latest "feature" they have available and are just chomping at the bit to pay just a "little bit" extra for it.
Glen41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GraciesMom:
It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked.

You cannot call from a different phone number.
OR go to:

http://www.donotcall.gov/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does not block anything. It puts you on a computer list the the telemarketers have to buy from the government. But some of these telemarketers are so unscrupulous that they will continue to call you anyway, because they know the FTC is to busy doing other things and not mess with inforcing the DoNotCall violators. You can complain all you want and some will still call. But you can take them to "small claims court" and sue them. Then they not only stop calling but also cough up some green to line your pockets. There are instructions on how to do this on the web. Quite simple really.

I have one company that keeps calling and when I ask for a supervisor, they hang up. But I'm keeping a log of their calls!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 AM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by parmm:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GraciesMom:
It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked.

You cannot call from a different phone number.
OR go to:

http://www.donotcall.gov/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does not block anything. It puts you on a computer list the the telemarketers have to buy from the government. But some of these telemarketers are so unscrupulous that they will continue to call you anyway, because they know the FTC is to busy doing other things and not mess with inforcing the DoNotCall violators. You can complain all you want and some will still call. But you can take them to "small claims court" and sue them. Then they not only stop calling but also cough up some green to line your pockets. There are instructions on how to do this on the web. Quite simple really.

I have one company that keeps calling and when I ask for a supervisor, they hang up. But I'm keeping a log of their calls! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They have a way around everything even the do not call registry. The get you to call them first by placing adds for just about anything. You call them for more information and get put on hold until you leave your number for a return call. No one will ever answer the first call. Once they have you number that you freely gave them permission to call they have you and release it expanding the permission to their affiliates. If you complain they we just returning your call which you gave them permission to do.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:13 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
parmm

The "Donotcall" list is completely legit. I put my home phone on it (when we had one) and the calls stopped shortly thereafter. Only had 1-2 after in a 2-3 year period. So your comment is incorrect.

However, it is unnecessary for cell numbers as it is illegal to call those anyway EXCEPT from businesses you do business with or political calls.

Perhaps, the troublesome call you get is someone you have done business with but in any event, getting calls from ONE business does NOT lend credence to your statement that the gov't sells the list. In fact, I would say it proves just the contrary.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote