Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
Yep.. Call that number and you JUST GAVE them YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER!!!
Just to be clear 888-382-1222 is the correct federal Govt created Do Not Call registry. You can do it online at www.donotcall.gov as well. You are not "giving out" your number to anyone by calling it. You can register cell and land line numbers - though cell numbers are off limits to telemarketers anyway. Registration does NOT expire either.

Report telemarketing violators at the web address above and read all the laws there too.

Now.... trusting the federal govt... Well, that just might be a different story for a different thread on a different forum...

2007 and 7/8ths Newmar Essex 4502
RVDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
If you have a cell phone and currently are not receiving telemarketing calls on it don't do anything. If you register your phone it may backfire on you. I know someone who never had a telemarketer call until after he registered his phone.

2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Dude

My phone spends mins. any time it's used.

Made the call today.

1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
The jist of it is that the "do not call list" is the same, one list for both land line and wireless phone numbers. Since we never use "texting" we called AT&T( you may do it online too) and had them dis-able this feature. We continue to get text messages from AT&T(no charges) containing information pertinent to our account. We also have our cell # unpublished, the only way anyone can call us is if we give them our number, or a random-dial computer finds it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
In this day and time there are more and more folks transferring their home numbers to their cell phones through the 'porting' option that began in November 2004. Anyone that has taken this action could very well receive telemarketer calls based on the 'landline' number. In this case you no longer have a 'cellphone' number. True cellphone numbers have never been released by the carriers.

Anyone that has ported their number must call the Do Not Call Registry to list the number.

If you still have a number issued as a cellphone number the only way you will get calls or messages is from companies that you have contacted. I have gotten calls and messages on my cell, but only related to a toll free call that I had made. I replied to the messages and ask to not be contacted and have received no more.

1999 Gulfstream Ultra Class C, Ford 450/V10
16' Pace Utility
Watch out Yard Sales; Here we come!
tnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #20
Hi, After calling and registering my cellphone and my wired phone this weekend I received a call today on my wired phone today. The person who called spoke with an accent that was Undecipherable. I tried and tried all I made out was "you registered your phone". I said I was hard of hearing (I am not, my wife says I just don't listen) but it was easier than telling him I don't understand your accent. I did understand him telling me he would text me. Since this was NOT my cell and I could not get text messages I asked for a Supervisor , that was not understood.. I then gave up and hung up the phone.
Did anyone else who called get a verification call?
2001 Monaco Dynasty
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
Be advised, adding your phone # to the list has a drawback. Religious and non-profit organizations are exempted from "do not call". This means they are free to use the Do Not Call List as a phone number base to make solicitations, and are even provided exclusive numbers(the list).
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #22
Another fact=Companies you have dealings with during past 18 months also may call your land line numbers and not be in violations. You have to tell the caller that you want your names removed from their listings. Advise them you already are on the do not call list too.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
It is not a rumor. I have a trac phone (pre-paid for a year) and in this past month I have started to get text messages from people advertising things. I have never given my number out. I use the phone for emergencies (break-downs) and rarely use it for anything else. I have never received text messages until the past month. I'm not sure if this is using my minutes up or not. The phone is off 99% of the time. When I turn it on now there are 2-3 text messages. I read the explanation at snopes. I don't believe their explanation. If they are correct, I should not be getting any messages!
I get text and pre-recorded calls too, but with the Cell phones is is easy to screen. I never answer a call that isn't identified. I only listen to the voicemails of those I know and erase all the rest.

With my phone you pay for all tests that you read so I don't read any and I don't send any.

I do have my cell phone number on the Do- not call list but I still get calls.
It seems that most of the pre recorded calls and advertizing texts I get are when traveling through cities. I think they are pre loaded on cell towers and passed on when you get close enough to the tower.

Here is one for you, I am getting sales calls on my land line from people that want me to switch to dish network, the problem is I already have dish and I am on the do-not-call list.

The sales calls from the Dishnetwork companies are from the locals that install and in my mind this is a form of slamming, like with the phones, although with the land lines thew slamming was done without your knowledge or permission.

KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote