Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diandtom:
My wife's car a 04 Buick Rendezvous with 45,000 miles is getting 3-4 mpg after changing tires. I got the same size as what came on the car. I did change brands. we were getting 24- 25 everyday driving and now it is 23-23. On a trip it would do 28 mpg and now 25 mpg. The car seems to be running perfect, just the mileage is down. Yesterday on a trip to Myrtle back and back it did 23.5 mpg. I know this is not a rv question but wondering if anybody had this problem ?
Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, I replaced the tires on my Expedition with Michelins and I lost about 2 miles to the gallon. It seems that the Michelins have more rolling resistances then the tires that were oem. The more resistance the less mileage you will get.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2008, 05:37 AM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Charles, You are probably right about the rolling resistance. I am going to take it in and have it checked after we get back. This car is going to be mine when Dianne gets a new one, so I am going to keep it awhile.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:03 AM   #17

Stupid question, but: especially if they don't call for the "standard" 30-35psi, are they inflated properly? Running 32psi instead of, say, 40 could easily drop mileage 5-10%.

I had 2 front tires put on my old J-20 pickup, and noticed it was handling (term used loosely when referring to an old Jeep pickup, but anyway...) kind of mushy. I knew the tires were good (the venerable BFG All-Terrain), so I stuck a gauge on the valves. Instead of the correct 50psi, the tire shop had only put about 32psi in them! When I returned to the shop, they saw nothing wrong with this & refused to inflate them properly. They also charged me $5 for new valve stems, despite my J-20 having metal screw-in stems that do not need to be replaced.

I no longer buy tires (or anything else) from these yahoos, needless to say.

1993 International Genesis conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:20 AM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I went from 32 psi to 35 psi as soon as I saw the mileage drop. I am wondering if it could be something like the oxygen sensor. It would run ok but the gas mileage would be off. just a guess.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote