Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2019, 04:25 AM   #43
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
If you want to drive a special car to get through traffic faster, there are places to apply for the privilege:

https://www.indeed.com/q-Police-Officer-jobs.html
https://www.indeed.com/q-Entry-Level...hter-jobs.html

Your attempt to equivocate small cars and motorcycles on this issue is kinda ridiculous. Make a car narrow enough to match a motorcycle, and then you've got a shot at this, but right now you just don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence
^^^ There's your answer. Not the one you might want, but it's the correct answer to your question. ^^^
Did you just say if a vehicle wants to get through traffic faster they should get a job as a police officer or firefighter?

So motorcycles are just like police and fire vehicles?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 06:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Oh wow, this topic gets plenty (too much) of play on the motorcycle forums and now it's here on an RV forum? Is the world coming to an end? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
I agree. The topic is beat to death on the MC forums. Why bring it here? There are two camps on this, and you'll never convince anyone to switch.
Might be a good idea to discuss a little where non-riders might see. Most anything to increase awareness might be worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
Would the law allow me to split the lane if I were in my car and there was a slow moving motorcycle?

Or what about two small cars and I have a smaller car that can fit between them?

Quote:
False equivalences.
How so? The last license plate I bought cost about a 3rd of what the plate for a car. Why should the law favor the MC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyof5 View Post
For those of us that spend the money for our bikes yes they are "more special" then your cage with A/C and water cooled. Since we can't maintain our air cooled system. So keep your small car maintained and it shouldn't overheat so you should not have to split in your smart car

Should we follow this logic for a ways? Driving a Chevy, should I have to yield to a Lexus? A old Ford get out of the way of a new one? Ok, fine. But this Pete needs to get the load thru, he's splitting the lane with you on your cheap MC!
I quit riding many years ago. For years MC was my only transportation, and I did not live in a mild climate. If just commuting, need to park where I could not watch, take the UJM. Streets slick snow/ice? The little Enduro, just as safe if a cage hits me, and less likely to need repairs if dropped. Pleasure riding? Roll out the Panhead (I stopped ridding because I could not stop drinking and still hang with the guys I rode with)
As to little cars splitting the lanes; Truth is 3 full size pickups, with all drivers on the ball, could stay in the average 2 lanes of interstate. The problem is most drivers get in their car head first. By that I mean put head in seat, sit down with it wedged between the cheeks before hitting the starter.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #45

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Did you just say if a vehicle wants to get through traffic faster they should get a job as a police officer or firefighter?

So motorcycles are just like police and fire vehicles?
I don't think you're not getting the point, I just think you want to argue. I'm not falling for it at this point.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #46
tcg

Quote:
I don't think you're not getting the point, I just think you want to argue. I'm not falling for it at this point.
I'm trying to figure out why motorcycles should be the only vehicles allowed to drive between other vehicles.

I was told small cars don't count unless they are police cars.

If a Smart Car (very tiny car) can fit between other vehicles why should they not be allowed to split the lane.

If a Malibu can fit between a Fiat and a some other tiny car why should they not be allowed to split the lane.

I get that you don't have an answer but at least be honest about it.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #47

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm honestly avoiding getting sucked into a ridiculous argument about the obvious physical differences and how these things can be reasonably used in real life situations instead of the ridiculous scenarios that could be pulled out of thin air for days but rarely happen, and you know it.

Bye [emoji112]
Old 02-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #48
tcg

Quote:
I'm honestly avoiding getting sucked into a ridiculous argument about the obvious physical differences and how these things can be reasonably used in real life situations instead of the ridiculous scenarios that could be pulled out of thin air for days but rarely happen, and you know it.

Bye [emoji112]
Rarely happen? I come up on motorcycles all the time in my car and I could easily fit between them.

What's the difference if a car splits the lane between motorcycles?

Hint: there is none.

As I said there is no real explanation as to why motorcycles get to split lanes and not cars so bye to you as well.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
lane splitters is WHY cyclists get killed. Here a News Flash: It ain't your road! The road belongs to cars. There are more of them and, given a collision, you lose. I have over 100,000 miles in the saddle and I learned a few things. Be predictable, nothing predictable about lane splitting. The other guy will kill you, avoid him. Hard to do when you are closing at 40mph.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
That said, if you wanna lane split, go ahead. No skin of my butt. But when you lose skin off yours, well, pardon me as I laugh. I feel sorry for the guy you hit.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:40 AM   #51

Quote:
Rarely happen? I come up on motorcycles all the time in my car and I could easily fit between them.

What's the difference if a car splits the lane between motorcycles?

Hint: there is none.

As I said there is no real explanation as to why motorcycles get to split lanes and not cars so bye to you as well.
Are you simply trolling for arguments? Your thoughts about cars splitting lanes between bikes is ridiculous. You have been given several reasons why it might be necessary at times other than not wanting to sit in stop and go traffic on a scorching hot day. There are a lot of dumb laws that we have to deal with and if you don't like this one then just accept it and stop with all the bantering about your iddy biddy car scenarios, etc. Some riders are comfortable with splitting and some aren't, I know where you fall.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #52

And this is what happens when you "discuss" lane sharing with non-riders. You just get a lot of uninformed ignorant responses. A little education for you. An actual study. https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/0...s-rider-saftey
Old 02-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #53
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Are you simply trolling for arguments? Your thoughts about cars splitting lanes between bikes is ridiculous. You have been given several reasons why it might be necessary at times other than not wanting to sit in stop and go traffic. There are a lot of dumb laws that we have to deal with and if you don't like this one then just accept it and stop with all the bantering about your iddy biddy car scenarios, etc. Some riders are comfortable with splitting and some aren't, I know where you fall.
My full size Malibu can easily fit between two motorcycles on the highway.

Would a motorcycle rider be ok with me sharing their lane?
Old 02-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #54
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
And this is what happens when you "discuss" lane sharing with non-riders. You just get a lot of uninformed ignorant responses. A little education for you. An actual study. https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/0...s-rider-saftey

I have been riding for 38 years.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #55

Quote:
My full size Malibu can easily fit between two motorcycles on the highway.

Would a motorcycle rider be ok with me sharing their lane?
I know for a fact that if you did this to me and many other riding friends on the road you would regret doing so. As I said, you are on here to simply annoy other members with your stupid scenarios and contribute nothing intelligent and I too am done with this lame thread. Now go out and split some lanes with your automobile.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:51 AM   #56
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I know for a fact that if you did this to me and many other riding friends on the road you would regret doing so. As I said, you are on here to simply annoy other members with your stupid scenarios and contribute nothing intelligent and I too am done with this lame thread. Now go out and split some lanes with your automobile.
It's stupid to come up on a couple motorcycles in traffic and then want to go between them just like a motorcyclist wants to?

You're right it is lame.

It's lame how motorcyclists don't like autos getting near them but auto drivers are supposed to understand why motorcycles need special privileges and be allowed to crowd them.

I'll be done now.
Closed Thread