Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreen View Post
Look if a Volt works for you than by all means buy one. Just keep in mind that we all chipped in to make it affordable for you. Yes you are welcome. Don't mention it...it's OK...no..no..that's all right...God Bless you....
Those of us who drive Hybrids, electrics and Volts reduce our countries gas consumption, thereby leaving more for you (most likely you actually don't actually then use more, you just pay a bit less for it). You're welcome!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #184

I'll keep it simple (ballpark figures as controlled test results may vary):

Chevy Volt $50,000.00
Chevy Cruze $20,000.00 = $30,000.00 premium against it's conventional twin.

Average mpg Cruze 38, Average miles per KWH Volt (10.4KWH storage capacity per charge/30 miles) .346 per KWH.
Average cost for gasoline 3.75 Average cost per KWH 0.16 (US)
Average fuel cost per mile: Volt=.055 per mile
Average fuel cost per mile: Cruze=.089
Now add back in the $30K premium for the Volt spread over the 8year/100000 mile battery warranty driving 30 miles per day to take full advantage of the lower fuel cost under ideal conditions. The cost per mile goes to .342 per mile + fuel cost .055 and the grand total for the volt comes to about .397(US) per mile or roughly 4X the cost of the Cruze. If you could get free battery replacement forever and electricity stays relatively cheap (mod edit) you could conceivably live long enough to break even.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
Those of us who drive Hybrids, electrics and Volts reduce our countries gas consumption, thereby leaving more for you (most likely you actually don't actually then use more, you just pay a bit less for it). You're welcome!
The same logical cost analysis could be applied to the hybrids with similar results the tech premium paid to achieve high mpg results. The bottom line is cost per mile not mpg. Same with loans some people look at cost per month and not the total cost of the contract. Wake up America.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #186

Quote:
The same logical cost analysis could be applied to the hybrids with similar results the tech premium paid to achieve high mpg results. The bottom line is cost per mile not mpg. Same with loans some people look at cost per month and not the total cost of the contract. Wake up America.
I am reminded of the definition of a cynic as someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

But looking a actual costs, my Civic Hybrid cost $2500 more than an equally equiped Civic when I bought in 2003. I have a bit over 90,000 miles and actual measured mileage of 42 mpg. Previously I had a VW New Beatle which gave about 25 mpg over the same commute.. So if that 90,000miles had been done in the VW, it would have used 3600 gal. At 42 mpg I actually used 2143 gal, so I saved 1457 gal (over even a pretty economical VW). At $3.50 per gal that's a savings of $5099.50, and at $3.00 it would be $4371.00. BTW, I haven't spent an extra dime on maintenence over what a standard Civic would have been.

So, if I were to wake up, just what is it I'd see?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #187
edj

Quote:
Look I like to breath too. Our air and water quality is among the best of any industrialized nation. The EPA has declared carbon dioxide as a pollutant. A pollutant? The inmates are running the asylum.
ANYTHING can be a pollutant if there is too much of it and it is causing a problem.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
I am reminded of the definition of a cynic as someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.

But looking a actual costs, my Civic Hybrid cost $2500 more than an equally equiped Civic when I bought in 2003. I have a bit over 90,000 miles and actual measured mileage of 42 mpg. Previously I had a VW New Beatle which gave about 25 mpg over the same commute.. So if that 90,000miles had been done in the VW, it would have used 3600 gal. At 42 mpg I actually used 2143 gal, so I saved 1457 gal (over even a pretty economical VW). At $3.50 per gal that's a savings of $5099.50, and at $3.00 it would be $4371.00. BTW, I haven't spent an extra dime on maintenence over what a standard Civic would have been.

So, if I were to wake up, just what is it I'd see?
It looks like you're already awake J. The Civic Hybrid is a great car their LNG version with home fueling station is too. It's been around for quite some time now and most of the bugs are out of it. Give the Volt some time and it's numbers could improve. I choose not to be part of their test market and would consider buying one when they get the numbers to work on their own merit. As it is now though caution is the better part of valor. Thank you all for the comments and conversation, RV'ers ROCK!!
Old 09-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #189
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A friendly reminder:

This thread is about the Chevy Volt & hybrids. Posts about healthcare, the military, Government intervention, auto bailouts....etc. are all .
Please keep to the topic at hand.

Lori-
Old 09-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #190

Winnebago Owners Club
This thread did give a lot of considered opinions. Some found success and happiness with the Volt (or other hybrids), some waiting to see how things go.
It's been a while but I remember reading in the Wall Street Journal that The first batch of chevy volts costs were between 300K and 450K. GM used fuzzy math.

GM has brought in Bob Lutz to "guide" the Volt program. Now that the developement costs are out of the way the Volt should get less expensive and more available.

Regretfully the last batch of posts were getting a little bitter. Personally, I learned a lot from this thread, from the Weego to battery developement.

I did as one poster suggested, mandate our 08 Tour to get 28city/35hwy. So far it's not really working so well.

Kerry
Old 09-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #191

How about a survey? Any of us ever actually seen a Chevy Volt on the road?

Let me be the first to answer.

Umm. NO!!
Old 09-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #192

Chances of one seeing a VOLT on the highway is slim to none unless you live in one of the few areas where the VOLT has been for sale. Even then you have to be rather quick, since they number in the hundreds for cars sold. I have seen one, while in Seattle, WA. I think it was one of the secondary markets for the VOLT. Most dealers are not parting with their first VOLT since they want the public to see them and test drive them.
Kind of like the TESLA or LEAF, how many of them have you seen.
Indiana Journey
Old 09-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #193

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodann View Post
How about a survey? Any of us ever actually seen a Chevy Volt on the road?

Let me be the first to answer.

Umm. NO!!
Well yes i have and it was 2 in one day but since then i have seen none
it must have been a fluke LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #194

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow!
I'd never even heard of this car 'til this thread...
Not that I'm in the market- my '97 Kia just refuses to die!
It's an interesting discussion, though, and got my curiosity up-
Here's a link to a page about " Volt meetup groups"- maybe one could see a Volt at one of these, if they happen...Blog Details

Francesca
Old 09-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #195

Hey how about a contest? Like the Good Sam's club sticker on an RV somewhere interesting. If anyone sees a Volt with an IRV sticker they get a free tank full of fuel for their motor home. I did rent a Chevy Cruze for a couple of weeks down in Tucson. Was not too impressed. It was stubborn shifting into Park and the turn signals were reversed. Not sure if quality control issue or if it had been involved in an accident. I'll stick to my Honda Fit.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 AM   #196

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The bean counters will say if the volt lives or dies. They killed the first electric car G M made. Talked to the people at Tesla to see if they would make a electric motor for a motor home. Didn't say anything. Wanted to sell me a $100.000 car. Said they were working on a seven passenger car for $60,000. When I hit the lotto I will think about it.
Closed Thread