Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #197

I recently readable a technical article on hybrids and full electrics. It turnout a full electric only saves about $19. I don't know if this is annual or during it's lifetime. The m in LiMH is the rarest metal on earth, about 5 grams per individual. Adding the cost of powering these cars, the cost of the electrical generation and losses through efficiencies they just are not cost or environmentally effective at this time. On the other hand the hybrids they said were more cost and environmentally effective. It was interesting.

It would seem to me that a diesel hybrid electric for a motorhome would make sense.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
It would seem to me that a diesel hybrid electric for a motorhome would make sense.
Hybids have a great advantage in city (stop & go) driving, but not long distance highway driving, where the weight of the elctric motor and battery can actually hurt. Plug-in hybrids, like the Volt have their advantage on short trips (whether city or highway), but they would have an even greater weight problem for long distance.

Diesel hybrid city buses are potentialy a big advantage, but the technology is not likely to fit Motorhome use (I doubt anyone commutes in one).
Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #199

My 06 Escape Hybrid averages 30 MPG. That's stop and go driving and hitting the open road at 80 MPH. Name another SUV that gets even close to that number. I have seen and driven the Volt and I was very impressed. I've never seen anything negative about the car from anyone who actually has some experience with it. What kind of mileage you'll get with Volt depends on where and how you drive. However, under any circumstances it will be far better than a car of comparable size. Comparing the Volt to a car half it's price is like the proverbially apples and oranges.

Large yachts are now using hybrids with electric motors and generators. I'm guessing the only problem with putting them in motor homes is getting the cost down and retooling with limited production. I can't imagine we won't see hybrid motor homes that will get close to 20 MPG sometime next year.

I know some of you are in love with dirty stinky air. Then again some of you love sending all your money to the middle east. I'm sure others want to make sure your beloved oil companies keep making Billions. I'm also quite sure that some love the warm dry weather and fires we are having in Texas! However, the world is changing, and it's changing very quickly. If you don't open your mind, you'll be left even further behind. If that is where you want to be so be it!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #200

vegascouple sounds like you drank the cool-aide.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #201

[/QUOTE]I know some of you are in love with dirty stinky air. Then again some of you love sending all your money to the middle east. I'm sure others want to make sure your beloved oil companies keep making Billions. I'm also quite sure that some love the warm dry weather and fires we are having in Texas! However, the world is changing, and it's changing very quickly. If you don't open your mind, you'll be left even further behind. If that is where you want to be so be it![/QUOTE]

I find the discussion of fuel conservation, the environment, and RV'ing laughable, at best. At 7.5 mpg while towing I am "Guilty as Charged".
Jodann
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #202

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
I know some of you are in love with dirty stinky air. Then again some of you love sending all your money to the middle east. I'm sure others want to make sure your beloved oil companies keep making Billions. I'm also quite sure that some love the warm dry weather and fires we are having in Texas! However, the world is changing, and it's changing very quickly. If you don't open your mind, you'll be left even further behind. If that is where you want to be so be it!
At one point this WAS a serious discussion...it is clearly not any more.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #203

Newmar Owners Club
Folks,

This discussion has gone on for 200+ posts and it has been a good one. Please don't be the one to take it in a direction where we have to enforce the rules. Thank you.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #204

Has anyone else wondered why GM didn't Brand the Volt as a Cadillac rather than Chevy?

Those who have driven an electric (like Tesla) understand that they are a really "high end" driving experience - smooth, quiet...

Everyone understands that the early production of such innovative technology has a high cost, and that would seem more compatible with a high end brand. Obviously a $40,000+ Chevy is raising eyebrows.

Calling it a Cadillac would perhaps avoid the false assumption by many that the only justification for this technology is lower cost per mile.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #205

Winnebago Owners Club
Actually Cadillac has a hybrid on the assembly line. Be here soon. (Soon is a GM term) But it is coming. Back to the Volt.

Kerry
Old 09-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #206

Vintage RV Owners Club
You beat me to it, Kerry!

I've been following the Cadillac Hybrid with interest...
Here's a link for anybody else that would like to take a look
Hybrid Technology - Fuel Efficiency | Cadillac

And now (like you said):

Back to the Volt!

Francesca
Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #207

I drive a hybrid to work. So does my wife. We have 2 hybrid Toyota Priuses (Priui?).Were they more $ then a comparably equipped Toyota? Yes, initially. Now the cars are both paid for and we both get 50 MPG. Imagine if you can going 500 miles on 10 gallons of gas. We both enjoy doing it + I got hov stickers and a 4000$ tax credit! add in the added hybrid cost - the tax credit at your tax rate of about 33% and you are at about 1200$ off the cost of the car. Did I save any money?!? Probably not, but it sure felt good trying and when you pull up next to an Escalade and he is putting in 120$ to fill the tank and go 350 miles and I put in 35$ and go 500....well, I smile all the way home.
I have 2 other cars. One, a fully restored 71 455 GTO Judge, and the other a 2007.5 Dodge 3500 4wd dually used only to pull my 5er. So, I have burned my share of fossile fuels. The cost of owning a hybrid vs judgement day and a comeback on are you saving resources question = priceless.
I like my choices on all kinds of levels. If the Volt was as efficiant as my Prius, went at least 50 miles on a charge, and as little spent in maintanance, I'd have one in a heartbeat.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 09-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #208

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, Paul

I've got a question that I've been wanting to ask an actual Prius owner- and you've got two!

Seems like I can only find miles per gallon of gas-
how many miles to you get per kilowatt hour of electricity?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 09-27-2011, 04:59 PM   #209

All of os taxpayers out here in threadland contributed to the $8,000 rebate you got. How often do you think our we taxpayers and thank us?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #210

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I drive a hybrid to work. So does my wife. We have 2 hybrid Toyota Priuses (Priui?).Were they more $ then a comparably equipped Toyota? Yes, initially. Now the cars are both paid for and we both get 50 MPG. Imagine if you can going 500 miles on 10 gallons of gas. We both enjoy doing it + I got hov stickers and a 4000$ tax credit! add in the added hybrid cost - the tax credit at your tax rate of about 33% and you are at about 1200$ off the cost of the car. Did I save any money?!? Probably not, but it sure felt good trying and when you pull up next to an Escalade and he is putting in 120$ to fill the tank and go 350 miles and I put in 35$ and go 500....well, I smile all the way home.
I have 2 other cars. One, a fully restored 71 455 GTO Judge, and the other a 2007.5 Dodge 3500 4wd dually used only to pull my 5er. So, I have burned my share of fossile fuels. The cost of owning a hybrid vs judgement day and a comeback on are you saving resources question = priceless.
I like my choices on all kinds of levels. If the Volt was as efficiant as my Prius, went at least 50 miles on a charge, and as little spent in maintanance, I'd have one in a heartbeat.
-Paul R. Haller-
Good for your, Paul. I'm glad that you are happy with your choice. I hope others who wish to will make the same choice. The key word is choice.

One of the bad discussions that I've had was with a lady Prius owner who went out of her way to tell me what a wretched human being I am for owning a MH. She did everything but call me the devil incarnate. When I attempted to have a rational discussion with her by asking her how many miles she drove a year, her response was "it doesn't matter - my vehicle gets 50mpg, yours doesn't - that is all that matters." I tried to explain to her that the average RV user drives around 3,500 miles per year. At 10mpg, that is 350 gallons. People who drive 25-35,000 miles per year even getting 50mpg actually can use more fuel than I do.

For those who choose it, the Prius or the Volt is a great solution. When I'm forced to buy one, especially if the government is subsidizing the purchases, that is a problem.
Closed Thread