Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Nothing But Facts
Guess that about sums it up then!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:18 AM   #240

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
MM,

STOP THAT!

It's more fun listening to the haters squabble...

DOn;t confuse them with stupid FACT!

Old 12-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #241

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks MM- I sort liked the Volt based on looks only when I first sat in it a year and a half ago. But that's only my opinion.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #242

MM

FACT: the volt isn't selling because it cost too much.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #243
edj

Quote:
  • FACT- This is a tax CREDIT based on what taxes the PHEV owner has paid in that tax year. (ie- if the PHEV owner only paid $4,000 in federal income tax…they will only get a credit for that $4,000.)
If one will not owe $7500 income tax or more, there is an easy way to increase income taxes to be owed if one is elegible for the $7500 tax credit. If the income taxes due are going to be less than the $7500, they can convert some of their Traditional IRA to a ROTH IRA. In effect, when the Volt tax credit is taken into effect, the conversion will be FREE.....
Old 12-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #244

Fact: premium fuel is required because it is more stable?

As a retired chemist, microbiologist and Refinery Lab Manager and TQC manager your statement is wrong. Butane and toluene are often used to increase octane in formulations, both have high vapor pressures and are easily vented. An engine uses a higher octane fuel because it has a higher compression ratio.

Gasoline formulations at a refinery are based on the crude being used and it's cost, the current wholesale price of all of the products at the rack and most importantly meeting ASTM specs for each fuel in each part of the country. Modern gasolines are significantly more stable, a side effect of meeting the stringent environmental requirements for example less than 0 ppm sulfur and lead.

Paying a premium for a car which will run 30 miles on a battery before needing a recharge to me just seems kind of silly. Going down the mountain 60 miles, then coming back up to 8,400' would be interesting and even more interesting in the winter.

BTW we see a lot of new vehicles up here prior to production under wraps. From the low desert to the the high mountains back to the high desert with 16% grades, good test track. Never seen a volt though, winter or summer. Like to see one come up from Barstow, in the summer then repeat it in the winter, during snow conditions.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #245

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the things that concerned me before the VOLT actually hit the market was the joint partnership between GM and LG (Lucky Goldstar) to build the batteries.. I have had to deal with several Goldstar or LG products over the years, not but one by choice and I am 100% NOT SATISIFIED with them.. Not one of them has EVER performed as it should NOT ONE. EVER. This includes the microwave that tried to burn down the office where I worked (Thankfully someone was quick with an extinguisher) Due to a design flaw. The one in my motor home with a different design flaw, a VCR (Zenith, now an LG company) With a mechinical flaw, the digital converter I'm watching now which hands up if left on the same channel too long and more.. 100% NOT GOOD products.. leading me to say "You are LUCKY if a Goldstar product works"

Well.. Turns out in Government crass tests the Volt catches fire easily.

The battery cooling system, (Part of the battery system) Shorts out the battery when it crashes and FIRE ON BOARD.

Great LG Design there.... Yet another reason to.... SHOP ELSEWHERE!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #246

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
FACT: With all Hybrid Vehicles, EMT services will take longer to pull you from your vehicle as they will not begin work on it till they can find the battery disconnect to disable the high voltage electrical system to prevent risk and injury to EMT staff.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #247

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
FACT: With all Hybrid Vehicles, EMT services will take longer to pull you from your vehicle as they will not begin work on it till they can find the battery disconnect to disable the high voltage electrical system to prevent risk and injury to EMT staff.
Fact: Voltage doesn't kill....Amperage and resistance do.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #248

Fact; When I was on the Fire Dept., We were trained to first cut the negative battery cable on any wrecked vehicle. This was done to prevent any short of the electric systen which might ignite a combustable substance or material and cause injury to the victim or emergency personel.
Indiana Journey
Old 12-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #249

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Fact: Voltage doesn't kill....Amperage and resistance do.
It is true that only about 50 ma across the heart is enough to cause ventricular fibrillation and death but that current flowing thru your body is caused by the voltage applied to it, no voltage, no current. A person could stand on the ground and touch a neutral conductor carrying 400 amps and not be hurt but if he touched a conductor carrying 400 volts he's toast.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #250

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FACT- Voltage does not flow thru a circuit, Current flows thru a circuit and is measured in amps. Voltage is the "pressure" that pushes the current thru the circuit. Resistance is just that, it is resistance to the flow of current within the circuit, the more resistance, the less current (amperes) will flow.

Now back to the discussion of the Chevy Volt. Just why did the crashed test vehicle catch fire three weeks after being crashed? Lack of battery technology maybe?

Dieselclacker
Old 12-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #251

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why did it catch fire? That was the topic of the news article I just read.

Because of the design of the battery cooling system.. Goldstar (LG) never considers anything other than normal operation when they design something, Thus one of their products almost burned down my office.. Seems a co-worker did not properly follow a direction (you try and try to educate them... Oh well)

Same here. They never figured the car might be involved in a crash.

So, when that happens, (per the news article) and the battery's coolant system ruptures and leaks it dumps coolant all over the batteries, this crystallizes and the crystals are conductive.

This shorts the battery, which then overheats, and catches fire.

Didi I mention that: LG makes the Batteries for GM? (They do)

NEVER TRUST AN LG DESIGN!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #252

Quote:
  • FACT – The battery is only $3,000…not $8,000-$10,000
  • FACT- The battery warranty is currently 8 years.
  • FACT- The Volt has a 9.3 gallon gas tank that does take premium fuel. (This is required because the premium fuel has better stability – which may be needed because it is not being used.)
  • FACT- The Volt is on roads all over the USA – including Illinois New York and Michigan. (Some of the cars in these states have over 15,000 miles already.)
  • FACT-The Volt will go approximately 35 to 50 miles on a single charge…and at that point the generator will kick on and manufacture electricity to keep you traveling for as far as you want to go.
  • FACT-The Volt costs approximately $1.50 for a complete charge – which will take you close to 40 miles. (Gasoline in California was as high as $4.00 per gallon just a short time ago.)
  • FACT-The federal income tax credit varies on PHEVs purchased in or after 2010. They may be eligible for a federal income tax credit of up to $7,500. The credit amount will vary based on the capacity of the battery used to fuel the vehicle. (The Volt is in the $7500 classification.)
  • FACT- This is a tax CREDIT based on what taxes the PHEV owner has paid in that tax year. (ie- if the PHEV owner only paid $4,000 in federal income tax…they will only get a credit for that $4,000.)
  • FACT-The Volt has been named a “Top Safety Pick” by the IIHS along with earning a 5-star NHTSA Safety Rating and also Motor Trend’s “Car of The Year” award along with other numerous awards.
  • FACT-The first NHTSA “Volt fire” happened with a Volt after it sat 3 weeks WITHOUT the proper crash protocol being followed after the side impact crash test.
  • FACT-Many Volt owners (over 89% are not concerned at all about battery fires-just under 7% are waiting to hear the NHTSA results-3% are somewhat concerned and only 1% are considering returning their Volts.
  • FACT-The Volt delivers 273 lb.-ft torque instantly with the feel of a 250hp V-6 engine. It accelerates from 0-60 in less than 9 seconds.
  • FACT- I have only used 17 gallons (including a single trip of over 600 miles) with an average of 126MPG at this point in time. This continues to go up by about 1MPG each day that I drive the car.
Are there any other questions you would like answered with facts and not conjecture or wild accusations?
Thanks for the facts, I gave up on the thread when it derailed about page 2.
I bought my Volt in the first week of Jan so I am an early adopter with a VIN under 400. The first 6 months I bought zero (0) gas. I then decided that I needed to travel out of county and see what it could do "out of town." Went on about a 500 mile round trip where I got almost 50 mpg. To date I've only purchased 36 gals of gas.

It may not pencil out or even be cheaper but there is some less oil bought from the people who hate us. EV cars don't work for every occasion or person but any reason to hate those who it does? It takes all kinds of cars (and coaches) to fill the freeway.

Closed Thread